Another cat that outgrew ball and fuzzy toys?

madara

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If I remember right around the year mark my first cat stopped being interested in any self played toys, fuzzy balls, mice, spiral plastic toys, etc. Now my ten month kitten who use to fetch them and actually bring them back in his mouth has no interest in them no matter what I seem to do. Anyone else notice this? Would it be best for me to remove them for few months since there is so many and maybe they will be a fresh interest down the road?

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
yeah mine wont play with toys but will play with scrumbled up paper, big fluffy scrunchies, toilet roll tubes

i have however left the toys because at times they will show a little inerest and i remember back to when they were teeny kittens

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cats get bored with the toys if you leave them out. It's best to rotate them. We rotate weekly, actually. We rotate the wand toys we use with them too.

And any catnip toys should never be left for more than a day. Cats can become "immune" to it if left out. We only put them out for a day or two every 2 - 3 weeks.

Laurie

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine grew out of fetching, too.
Personally I don't rotate toys... I don't even know what they've done with half of their toys!

Have your cats had crinkle balls yet? I have one who loves his, I'll have to pick another package up since he's flattening out the one he has. He'll play with it and eventually bat it under something so we have to fetch it out for him... it's aways soggy with cat spit by then.
What I do is pick up some package toys and put the extras in a storage container. I keep a few toys in a plastic baggy with catnip.

Favorites are furry balls, these little fabric balls with feathers on one end (from Walmart), a couple from Kmart called "great balls of fun" (
) - they're fur balls with octopus like legs on them, random balls, and milk jug rings. Oh and one of those large real fur mice that's had most of it's fur licked off of it... We call it "ugly mouse", for some reason they love the horrible looking thing.

Try random toys. If it's a multi pack and a complete strike out maybe you can give the extras to a friend who has cats or donate them to a cat rescue. As always, choose safe toys!

lil maggie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My kitty isn't quite 2 yet and had outgrown her toys about 6 months ago. I still have them in a big container (there's LOTS of toys). Every other month I drag some out and she shows no interest except for a cat fishing pole and a big feather toy. She just seems to like everyday household stuff like hard dog food pieces to play hockey with, bags, boxes, crumpled paper, string and loves stealing pens. (Most of those items are always supervised and picked up afterwards) Oh, and she loves live insects to chase like flies, moths and spiders. Otherwise, she spends her time hanging out on the sunporch. She's happy so I'm happy not to mention it works out with my checkbook.
A friend of mine is getting 2 younger rescues and I'll be giving him our big container of uninteresting toys.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've not had age be an issue re what cat toys my guys like. Favorites in my house are the Crinkleball (original - brand name - not the metallic mylar balls), any catnip or catnip & valerian toy.

Oddly enough, I don't rotate the toys..some sit unplayed with for a bit (ah, the sadness of a rosie rat abandoned in a corner), and then I see they have changed position and are in a new place, abandoned again temporarily.

Same with catnip toys..my guys simply change which they want...a new design of mine, a trial toy, one to hug and sleep with head on, one to wrestle with <G>.

But then American Curls do remain darn playful right up to their last days. Patrick was in his late teens when I saw him tossing a Rosie Rat in the air and batting it

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pat

I've not had age be an issue re what cat toys my guys like. Favorites in my house are the Crinkleball (original - brand name - not the metallic mylar balls)
Ok - I have one of the metallic mylar balls. I'll have to look for one of the actual crinkleballs as the design on them does look a little nicer.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
There is a black hole in my house known as Kitty Toyland. Here's how it works.
I get a new kitty toy.

One or more of the kitties play with it for about half a day.

The toy disappears into the black hole.

Two or three months later the toy suddenly reappears in the middle of the living room floor.

The toy never tells me where it's been in the meantime.

Age does not appear to be a factor.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Ok - I have one of the metallic mylar balls. I'll have to look for one of the actual crinkleballs as the design on them does look a little nicer.
Its a brilliant little toy design - the great crackle/crinkle sound from the mylar woven through the soft fabric of the ball..bats just great!

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maia is just over 3 years and there are definitely some toys she still loves to receive new. She is however bored of most of her old toys, and also could care less for catnip
! I have a toy bowl for her which when she first found that, it was a toy itself!

There was even a time she found solace, protecting her possessions.....

Every once in a while when I come home I will find certain toys scattered around that she pulled from her toy bowl
!
For the most part she is happiest playing with whatever I just put down or where I am....

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine change thier intrests all the time. Sparkle balls have remained a main stay, but Jordan is not as intrested in them as he used to be. He is now much more interested in Milk rings. I attribute that to the fact that he gets them rarely, because he has a very bad habit of eating them when he is done playing with them.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pat

I've not had age be an issue re what cat toys my guys like. Favorites in my house are the Crinkleball (original - brand name - not the metallic mylar balls), any catnip or catnip & valerian toy.
I don't rotate toys either, but we have 3 toyboxes (small rubbermaid containers) filled with toys.

Stimpy likes the Crinkleball Mini (ONLY the mini, he won't play with the regular sized one
). He likes a few other toys, but not as much as his Crinkleball. Nabu ignores all but the Ducky World catnip toys (bananas, etc). That's the only toy he even plays with usually. And Lola likes furry mice from Wal-Mart, and anything else you toss for her to chase. Stimpy doesn't find it amusing when she plays with his Crinkleball Mini.
Lola has actually destroyed SIX of the Sardinies catnip toys...