Kizzy has a mat :( ugggggg

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At first I thought he had a lump, till I investigated further..... He's got a good mat in his "armpit".

I've tried gently teasing it out, starting at the part farthest away from the skin..... no luck.

I was going to snip it, but I have not been able to get him to be still enough to do so. I can't have my hubby hold him, because he knows my hubby isn't too fond of him and runs (would freak out if hubby held him).

Would bathing Kizzy help at all? Like if I gave him a bath and then tried to tease it out?

If I can get a chance to, I was planning on snipping it, but only if I can do it safely.

Oh, if I left it, would it cause harm or get worse? (meaning if I decide I can't get it out, and take him to the groomers.... it may be a few wks before I can do it)

Also: can anyone tell me why some kitties get static fur?

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't bath him, it makes the matting worse. Cats need to be tangle free before bathing.

To safely snip it out you need to slide a comb between the matt and his skin, then cut carefully along the comb.

Matts can cause pain and restrict movement, I personally wouldn't want to leave it a few weeks.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by missymotus

Don't bath him, it makes the matting worse. Cats need to be tangle free before bathing.

To safely snip it out you need to slide a comb between the matt and his skin, then cut carefully along the comb.

Matts can cause pain and restrict movement, I personally wouldn't want to leave it a few weeks.
Thx so much
I sent an email to a friend who is a dog groomer to see if she knows of anyone in town that grooms cats.

In the meantime, if I can get a comb in there, I'll snip it myself.... but that's doubtful....Kizzy isn't too cooperate and I only have one hand to use right now.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What I do, which is very safe and easy, is to shave it with one of those little eyebrow razors. They are protected with wire, so there is no risk of cutting... You can buy them in any pharmacy... Just make sure they are wired wrapped. Good luck!

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by carolinalima

What I do, which is very safe and easy, is to shave it with one of those little eyebrow razors. They are protected with wire, so there is no risk of cutting... You can buy them in any pharmacy... Just make sure they are wired wrapped. Good luck!

That is Kizzy's response to that. Remember when he had ringworm? I was going to use a small shaver on him.... as soon as I turned it on, he turned pyscho on me. Not something I intend on trying again any time soon.

Anything that buzzes or vibrates scares him....

I've put out a few emails to several places, am hoping to have a response within a day or two.

Thx for the suggestion tho

britt0285

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a long haired cat that gets mats in her armpits as well. She always knows when I am going for. She usually works them out by herself okay. I have no clue how. But she hates being brushes. My long haired male loves it. She hates anything that is human grooming product. It is so weird. She freaks out about hair brushes and finger nail files.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady

That is Kizzy's response to that. Remember when he had ringworm? I was going to use a small shaver on him.... as soon as I turned it on, he turned pyscho on me. Not something I intend on trying again any time soon.

Anything that buzzes or vibrates scares him....

I've put out a few emails to several places, am hoping to have a response within a day or two.

Thx for the suggestion tho
That's not what I am talking about though... it's not electronic at all.... This is the type I am talking about - it sells where you get the tweezers, eyelash curlers, etc... It should be $1 or so... You "comb" the mat off with this... It's super easy and safe.
This is another brand:

Again, just make sure that the package indicates the blades are protected...

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

That's not what I am talking about though... it's not electronic at all.... This is the type I am talking about - it sells where you get the tweezers, eyelash curlers, etc... It should be $1 or so... You "comb" the mat off with this... It's super easy and safe.
hmmmmm, I've never seen those before..... I'll have to look when I'm out later...thx for describing them.... I might be able to actually get the mat with that... now if I can find them

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wickett always gets mats in his pits. Fortunately, he's pretty calm about being groomed and will usually sit still long enough for me to law him on his back and snip it out. I can't usually get a comb in between so I cut the mat in half and try to tease that out. If it doesn't work and I can, I cu it in half again. Usually that's enough to loosen up the bottom to be brushed out.

This is another brand:

Again, just make sure that the package indicates the blades are protected...
Those are TOO COOL! I'm so going to have to look for some. That would make trimming his mane easier too.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by twstychik

Wickett always gets mats in his pits. Fortunately, he's pretty calm about being groomed and will usually sit still long enough for me to law him on his back and snip it out. I can't usually get a comb in between so I cut the mat in half and try to tease that out. If it doesn't work and I can, I cu it in half again. Usually that's enough to loosen up the bottom to be brushed out.
Yeah, I don't think I can get a comb in between it either
I tried last night. But its matted against the skin so close that at first I thought it was a lump on him and was going to take him to the vet because of it. I looked closer, and squeezed it, discovered its a fur mass.

He's never had a mat before....all I can reason is that I haven't brushed him due to the hand surgery, up until last week.

I'm going to check at Walmart for those eyebrow thingies today, or at the superstore. Hopefully I can find em, and save myself a trip to the groomers.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Those are neat! If I ever come across them I'll have to get a pack and put them away (have a long hair cat myself).

Is there anyway to get your daughters to help you? And to help take over combing him for a while, too?

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I GOT it

Thanks for all the advice. I found those eyebrow shavers at the superstore... what a great idea.

And a big thank you to missymotus for letting me know I should deal with it sooner rather than later. The clump had some fur from his leg attached to it, and it was a big mat, his skin was quite pink under it.

I ended up getting my husband to hold him, we had to scruff him and it worked (I think he's intimidated by my hubby and was scared, so he held still). It took me about 5mins or so to safely get it out... no nicks on Kizzy and we're all happy now.

Lesson Learned: Kizzy needs weekly brushings, especially in his armpit area. So for the next surgery (I'm right handed, surgery is on my right), I will have to brush him the day prior to surgery, and have Kendra try to brush him a wk later. I'll start now getting her practiced on him, as he doesn't like staying for a brushing....

thanks again everyone

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Sherman hated brushing. He would whine/complain and try to nip at me... he also had four little mats that they failed to remove like I asked when he was out during his neutering and face suturing...
I've used treats and just kept at it and he's finally getting used to it and even enjoying a little brushing. He still complains from time to time.

My point - Get some treats and brush him more often than once a week so he'll get used to it. Once they figure out that you're not trying to kill them and it will be over soon enough, and they'll get treats out of it, they settle down some.

ETA: It might also help that I have to other cats obsessed with getting brushed (they love it so much they'd let me brush them bald...) so he can see that it's not going to harm him.
I don't know... maybe, if Kizzy is fond of other family members, brush their hair in front of him?

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am glad it worked!!!
I have one always by my bed, so when I find a mat I take care of while they are sleepy... Bugsy always gets mats under his ears
. I also used that to shave Lucky's ringworm spots... I guess I am lucky to work on the Beauty Industry - from time to time kitties can enjoy my product samples too
!

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can also use a seem ripper to pick away at the mat and you should be able to get it out. It's a lot safer then scissors or clippers.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mzjazz2u

You can also use a seem ripper to pick away at the mat and you should be able to get it out. It's a lot safer then scissors or clippers.
You need to be very careful with a seem ripper, though. If you slip or the cat moves you can stab and cut them... I've done it enough to my own fingers!

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just came across this thread, but boy am I glad i did. Isaac too gets those dreaded arm pit mats. He is not a fan of being brushed or combed to begin with, but least of all under his front legs. This is unfortunatley where he has the softest, longest, finest hair on his whole body (his belly & rump are a close second), this fur matts all the time on him. I have tried all kinds of methods, but I have never seen the eye brow thing. I will be on the look out for one of those. He just had a mat last week & since I live alone it is always a struggle. I did get it out, but he was not happy with me.