Did anyone pick the kentucky derby horse that won?

cattybird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It didn't even occur to me that MINE THAT BIRD would have a chance!
. The three that I had chosen were Feresian Fire, Chocolate Candy and Dunkirk. Did anyone pick MTB?

junebugbear07

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He was in my top 3 only because of the story his trainer drove the horse from new mexico with a broken foot. I like longshots, but I was really really rooting for General Quarters but what can you do??

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't even come close! I had a soft spot for Join in the Dance; I assume that name is taken from the Dan Fogelberg song "Run for the Roses". Very appropriate, I think.

plebayo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I didn't even pay attention to the race this year

But I think it's hillarious that they only paid $400k for him... and I think the auction price originally was $9,500. On top of it all he's also a gelding.

aussie_dog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't think hardly anyone picked the winner, that's why he was the second longest shot on the board at 50-1, lol

I don't think I've ever going to get tired of watching that race. He ran into a traffic jam at the start and had to haul back and was running dead last by several lengths heading into the first turn. I remember scanning the field and when I came to the trailer trailing by as much as he was trailing, my eye flicked away, almost in sadness ("Oh, poor guy, all those hopes and dreams on him and his race is shot. This one won't make a good showing at all.") Then nearing the far turn, he just exploded, like a rocket was tied to his tail (an analogy I've heard several times now, lol). I don't think I've seen a move as impressive as the one he gave. He was just flying, passing horses on the rail, as fast as any horse I've ever seen give in the final stages of a race (might even be the fastest). It's almost impossible, how fast he was going. I didn't notice him until he flew past the leaders and started drawing away with his little stride just punching away. It was almost like he'd just started his race. Nobody knew who this horse was, even the announcers took a few moments to call out his name (I believe they maybe needed to stall a bit to look at their programs to figure out who the horse was). But if you look at the overhead shot, the run is even more impressive. Coming out of the turn, he blasted through the tiniest hole, the smallest space between two crammed horses and the rail (good thing he's a small horse, then, lol).

Take a look at the overhead view at http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/30538272/ (just go down to the second video down on the left, titled "View from Above")

Calvin Bo-rail is called that for a reason. He's amazing when he goes for the rail trips. It's a lot of risk, as you can get cut off or boxed in, but sometimes it's all worth it as you see here.

For the record, I was rooting for Fresian Fire and General Quarters (neither fired, though Fresian Fire grabbed a quarter and had cuts up the wazoo).

Mine That Bird is by Birdstone, who upset Smarty Jones in the 2004 Belmont (anyone remember that?). The second place finisher (Pioneerof The Nile) is by Empire Maker, who upset Funny Cide in the 2003 Belmont. Both those Belmonts were run on a muddy track, but Birdstone especially seems to be producing good mudders. Mine That Bird has breeding for distance, so we'll probably see him at the Belmont (and I'm betting he'll win)

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nope. Dumb me went with Fresian Fire cause they had some really good odds... The one year I didnt bet on one that was a long shot...

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Plebayo

I didn't even pay attention to the race this year

But I think it's hillarious that they only paid $400k for him... and I think the auction price originally was $9,500. On top of it all he's also a gelding.
I didn't bet of course, but if I had I just might have simply because of his Canadian connection and whenever I go to the races I bet the longshots. He is a decendant of Northern Dancer. He was sold for $9,500 because he was considered "tiny". He earned that owner over $300,000 and he in turn sold him to a Mexican group for $400,000. The Mexican group has certainly recouped its money with a payday of $1.4 million.

I believe this is only the 2nd (or third) time in Kentucky Derby history that a Canadian horse upset the field and won.

aussie_dog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

I believe this is only the 2nd (or third) time in Kentucky Derby history that a Canadian horse upset the field and won.
It's the third time a horse with Canadian connections won the Derby, but he's not Canadian. He raced in Canada last year and was voted Canadian 2yo Champ in the Sovereign Awards, but he's a Kentucky-bred, and thus is American (anyone can win a Sovereign, Canadian or not, as long as they've made at least 3 starts in Canada). He's not eligible to run in the Queen's Plate, Canada's version of the Kentucky Derby, which is too bad. Northern Dancer ran the Triple Crown, winning the Kentucky Derby and the Preakness before finishing third in the Belmont, and only a few weeks later, he ran in the Queen's Plate and smashed 'em all (but he aggravated an injury and was retired). I still think that's amazing, that any owner would run their horse in 3 big races in 5 weeks, then come back to Canada to run in their own special "kentucky derby", probably the race that means the most to them. You won't see that these days.

Northern Dancer and Sunny's Halo were the Canadian-breds who won the Derby.

As an update, the connections of Mine That Bird weren't committing to the Preakness in a couple of weeks, since their goal has primarily been the Belmont (which would suit MTB, distance-wise, and by skipping the Preakness, he would enter the race that much fresher). But today they've confirmed that they're going to head to the Preakness. Might as well try for the Triple Crown, eh? Look for him on the TV on May 16!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Aussie_Dog

It's the third time a horse with Canadian connections won the Derby, but he's not Canadian. He raced in Canada last year and was voted Canadian 2yo Champ in the Sovereign Awards, but he's a Kentucky-bred, and thus is American (anyone can win a Sovereign, Canadian or not, as long as they've made at least 3 starts in Canada). He's not eligible to run in the Queen's Plate, Canada's version of the Kentucky Derby, which is too bad. Northern Dancer ran the Triple Crown, winning the Kentucky Derby and the Preakness before finishing third in the Belmont, and only a few weeks later, he ran in the Queen's Plate and smashed 'em all (but he aggravated an injury and was retired). I still think that's amazing, that any owner would run their horse in 3 big races in 5 weeks, then come back to Canada to run in their own special "kentucky derby", probably the race that means the most to them. You won't see that these days.

Northern Dancer and Sunny's Halo were the Canadian-breds who won the Derby.

As an update, the connections of Mine That Bird weren't committing to the Preakness in a couple of weeks, since their goal has primarily been the Belmont (which would suit MTB, distance-wise, and by skipping the Preakness, he would enter the race that much fresher). But today they've confirmed that they're going to head to the Preakness. Might as well try for the Triple Crown, eh? Look for him on the TV on May 16!
Lots of good information there for those of us who don't follow the horses quite as closely as you apparently do. I did know he was Kentucky bred but I was under the understanding that he was sold to a man in Canada for $9,500 because he was considered "small", who in turn raced him at Woodbine for awhile, and who then in turn sold him to the Mexican group for $400,000. He would also have had to have Canadian connections to be a decendent of Northern Dancer.

aussie_dog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

He would also have had to have Canadian connections to be a decendent of Northern Dancer.
Not necessarily. This is Northern Dancer, the hit smash at stud. His name shows up in literally at LEAST 80% of thoroughbreds today, all over the world. He became probably THE most influential Thoroughbred sire in history (well, one of, anyway; can't dismiss the three Arabians that got the breed started). I'm a little rusty in his history, but I believe he started off his stud career here in Canada when he retired, then moved to America, and upon his death was moved back to Canada. He was an amazing sire, along with a great racing career, and is definitely one Canada is proud of.

I read the other day that he (Mine That Bird) was sold to America because his owners and trainer wanted him to have a chance at the Breeders' Cup Juvenile, but they couldn't afford it (something like that), so they decided to sell him to someone who could. It was a bit of a moot point as he failed miserably, finishing dead last (on a related note, the Canadian horse, Wando, finished at the back of the pack in HIS BC Juvie in 2002, then went on to win the Canadian Triple Crown a year later. One of my favorite horses)

If I come across as hoity toity on the racing subject, you have to excuse me. I don't often get to flaunt my "knowledge" of the sport, as I know nobody who cares, and everyone else in racing knows more than me (best case scenario, they know as much as me, lol). So I tend to use big words and strut like a peacock, lol

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Aussie_Dog

Not necessarily. This is Northern Dancer, the hit smash at stud. His name shows up in literally at LEAST 80% of thoroughbreds today, all over the world. He became probably THE most influential Thoroughbred sire in history (well, one of, anyway; can't dismiss the three Arabians that got the breed started). I'm a little rusty in his history, but I believe he started off his stud career here in Canada when he retired, then moved to America, and upon his death was moved back to Canada. He was an amazing sire, along with a great racing career, and is definitely one Canada is proud of.

I read the other day that he (Mine That Bird) was sold to America because his owners and trainer wanted him to have a chance at the Breeders' Cup Juvenile, but they couldn't afford it (something like that), so they decided to sell him to someone who could. It was a bit of a moot point as he failed miserably, finishing dead last (on a related note, the Canadian horse, Wando, finished at the back of the pack in HIS BC Juvie in 2002, then went on to win the Canadian Triple Crown a year later. One of my favorite horses)

If I come across as hoity toity on the racing subject, you have to excuse me. I don't often get to flaunt my "knowledge" of the sport, as I know nobody who cares, and everyone else in racing knows more than me (best case scenario, they know as much as me, lol). So I tend to use big words and strut like a peacock, lol
No worries. I find it interesting and have no problem with learning something new. I don't go to the races very often but do enjoy them. I had neighbours that had race horses so I used to go with them occasionally and have actually had my picture taken in the winner's circle. That was a lot of fun. In the area where we live now, there is a farm down the road close to us that has beautiful race horses. His horses race at the usual race tracks in Southern Ontario.