outside under supervision - extra care needed?

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi,
I decided to start taking Bugsy and Lucky to my building's yard everyday for some nature exploring... The building is not closed with a gate, but we do have a quite large central garden, and since I am always home, I decided to give them the opportunity to run around in a larger space. I am ONLY taking them out with me, and I watch them very closely... They love it so far; and I want to continue to take them around 2x/day, when there is no direct sun light, as Bugsy is white...
Anyways, I have treated them for fleas, and was wondering if I need to worry about anything else? Is there any special care I should be aware of with them being outside?
Thanks!

snickerdoodle

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yay some exploring! I'm severely paranoid, but just in case I'll tell you that I always watch out for fire ants, and any ants really. We have lots of fire ants here and my cat always seem to walk in the direction of a hill. I don't know if they'd attack but I don't want to find out! I also found an odd hybrid here that is far more aggressive than fire ants, and they -jump- .. hope your babies have fun
You sound like a very attentive momma

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just a warning; if they CAN get out, and get panicked, you will not be able to stop them from getting away. Handling a panicked cat is like wrestling with a running chain saw, and the cat always wins.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

Just a warning; if they CAN get out, and get panicked, you will not be able to stop them from getting away. Handling a panicked cat is like wrestling with a running chain saw, and the cat always wins.
Yes, I know...
I only take them when it's very calm outside... This is a quiet building, and the yard is pretty large. All the times they were afraid of something, or get startled, they ran straight home. I am also training them with clapping, and they are doing really well - when I clap, they run home.
The reason why I am not using the harness is because the leads are too short... I did however buy 2 26' retractable leads, and once I receive it, I will take them on a harness.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My vet recommended heartworm testing for my cat who I sometimes take outside (on leash) and I will probably be putting him on a heartworm preventative. Heartworm is spread by mosquitoes.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Nekochan

My vet recommended heartworm testing for my cat who I sometimes take outside (on leash) and I will probably be putting him on a heartworm preventative. Heartworm is spread by mosquitoes.
google heartworm in your state... my area only 5 cases in about 8 yrs and all were dogs ...

ensure they are up to date on shots ... mainly rabies

slave2_ragdolls

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Carolina.......I have been letting Lita out in my driveway over the last 2 weeks. I do not allow her on the grass due to the flea and chemical risk. She really enjoys getting outside without a leash. I watch her like a 2 year old human baby as she is always trying to chew on dead leaves around my driveway.....
I now take her for rides in the car daily also out of the carrier......she sits on my lap in the car and enjoys being out of the house
I figure that she may only live another year or so with CRF disease....... so why not let her go to "Disneyland" everyday as the old saying goes
Always keep in mind that the Ragdoll breed had all the meanness bred out of them years ago. I take Lita to my vets office once a week just to visit...She was appointed the company mascot last week due to her friendly ways with other animals and incoming customers....She has zero fear of dogs and will go nose to nose with a mean dog as she has no clue. Just always be aware of this fact........this is why they say to never let them outside alone if you do some research about it. Pet the two kitties for Uncle Bob

chapperice

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's a good idea to let them out in the area under supervision. If they ever get out on accident, they're more likely to come back if they know the area C:

I want to take Simon for walks on a harness and leash (but so far he's not used to it, and also we're not supposed to have a cat in my house..well we're ALLOWED but we just haven't told our landlord yet..but his house is real far down so he'll prolly never find out about him).