Itchy cat...

rayjiano

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well... my cat is constantly itchy and is trying to lick himself till he bleeds. He is on the purple advantage and has been for the past 3 months. I have taken him to the vet and the vet could not figure out what was wrong after a 300 dollar biopsy sent to U Penn and multiple exams... Well, she hypothesized that it was a food allergy, however, I have switched my cat from Wellness Core to California Natural Oceanfish without a change in behavior.

He has been in an e-collar for 3 months and it is becoming increasingly believable that he may be in an e-collar for his entire life... If that is the case, can anyone recommend a great collar to use for long-term - easy to clean and not easy to remove (from the cat's perspective)?

alicatjoy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry your kitty's not doing so well. I'm not an expert of skin diseases in cats and I don't have much experience in that area, but I do have a couple of questions for you, if you don't mind. When did the itching start? Did it coincide with a change in diet, living arrangements, or weather? Has it ever seemed to get better -- even if only for a short period of time? Is the itching widespread or limited to one area of your cat's body? What has been ruled out by the vet? And, if allergies are being suspected, how long has it been since you have switched foods and what methods are you using to diagnose the presence of allergies? I only ask because I went through a very similar experience with my dog this past year.

That all being said, as far as E-collars are concerned, I used an inflatable one for 6 months on my toy fox terrier. I only recently saw the same collar available for cats and while it was an excellent investment for my dog, I don't know how it would translate for a cat. The inflatable E-collar allowed my dog to increase her field of vision from that which is offered with the traditional "cone." It was also a lot more comfortable for her and she was able to continue to eat and play normally without the restrictions the larger collars are known for. However, it had its downsides as well. It is inflatable and therefore runs the risk of being punctured and losing its ability to hold air. This only happened once after my dogs were playing particularly rough with one another, but it is possible. Thankfully there are strips and products available to repair small punctures and I never needed to replace the original collar, but it was frustrating at the time and could potentially be an issue for you -- especially since you're dealing with a cat. Also, while the inflatable collar allows for more comfort and easier movement, it doesn't provide as much protection. It's a lot smaller than the traditional collars and is a different shape -- where the E-collars are cone-shaped, the inflatable collar is shaped more like a wide doughnut and sits on their neck as opposed to coming up over their face and head. In the end, it's more about what your cat needs as far as protection as well as what he or she will tolerate, what you're looking for based on vet recommendations, and your budget. What worked for me and my dog may not be appropriate for you and your cat, but at least it's another option that can be considered -- especially if you're needing a more long-term solution.

I would also suggest potentially looking into seeing another vet for a second opinion. Vets are human and are fallable as much as we are and there is always the possibility that your vet missed something or is not seeing the situation clearly. Holistic and alternative therapies, in conjunction with western medicine, are also additional options to look into. I went through a lot with my dog and it was deeply concerning for quite a long time. I can empathize with you on the frustration, overwhelming sense of powerlessness, fear, and worry that's present when one of our loved ones is not doing well, but please know that there are other options and that sometimes it takes advocacy on our part to get the answers we (owners and pets alike) need. Thankfully, I can report that my dog's situation has improved dramatically and that she's nearing a 100% recovery, but it took a lot to get to this place and if nothing else I want to express that there is an answer out there as to what is causing your cat to itch so severely -- it may take time, patience, and even pushing the limits, but please don't give up. Because, if you do (and I realize that you're not, this is merely hypothetical) you do a great disservice to both yourself and your furry loved one.

Good luck. I hope the search for answers brings both you and your kitty hope, relief, and health.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rayjiano

Well... my cat is constantly itchy and is trying to lick himself till he bleeds. He is on the purple advantage and has been for the past 3 months. I have taken him to the vet and the vet could not figure out what was wrong after a 300 dollar biopsy sent to U Penn and multiple exams... Well, she hypothesized that it was a food allergy, however, I have switched my cat from Wellness Core to California Natural Oceanfish without a change in behavior.

He has been in an e-collar for 3 months and it is becoming increasingly believable that he may be in an e-collar for his entire life... If that is the case, can anyone recommend a great collar to use for long-term - easy to clean and not easy to remove (from the cat's perspective)?
He can be allergic to fish - there is fish in both formulas, and fish is a potential allergen. Have you tried California Natural Chicken and Brown rice, or Natural Balance Green Peas and Duck?

mybabies

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my cats is itchy like that. She chews all her hair out on her stomach and inside of her legs. She was put on Atopica and it helped for awhile but now beside the atopica she is on green peas and rabbit by Royal canin.

I am hoping it will work as there are no fleas but the warmth makes it worse.

audiocat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Zachary was like that when we adopted him. It turned out to be a fish allergy. He's much better now without any fish or fish oils in his foods. My feline vet says that fish allergies are very common.

Fish is put into almost everything. It's important to read, read and read again the labels. Even the canned Natural Balance Duck and Green Pea has fish oil in it. The NB Duck and Green Pea dry does not.

I've been feeding Rx Royal Canin Duck and Green Pea dry & canned, Canned Instinct Duck and Merricks Turducken and Grammys Pot pie canned.

Good luck to you with your kitty. It's so difficult to watch them be miserable and feel like you cannot help them.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rayjiano

Perhaps a foam e-collar is what you're looking for. I haven't tried it yet, but have just ordered one to keep on hand.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rayjiano

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the input everyone. I will be changing food again and will give my a cat haircut, since he is long-hair and it makes it difficult to see fleas if they exist. Also, I have ordered some shampoo/conditioner/lotion has high ratings in treating itchiness, it is by Micro-Tek. Anyone familiar with it?