similac soy formula??

dharma3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm out of MRK...I know I'm an idiot but they got up this morning and ate waaay more than they usually do. My husbnad is at work at the hospital and I am at home with 3 sick kids all running a fever and can't get to walmart till later. I have a case of Similac milk-free Soy based formula for human babies...if they wake up before I can get to the store can i feed them that?

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't. Soy is not good for kitties, as far as I know. Can a neighbor, friend or relative go get you some KMR?

PS - some for the sick skin-kids!!!

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your other option -if you have the ingredients is to make kitten glop.

Home-made kitten formula (Kitten Glop)
8 ounces water (boiled then cooled)
1 envelope Knox unflavored gelatin
8 ounces whole evaporated milk (not skim)
2 tablespoons mayonnaise (not low fat)
2 tablespoons plain yogurt (not low fat)
1 large or 2 small eggs yolks (raw)
1 teaspoon clear Karo syrup
* 1-3 drops liquid pet vitamins
* 1 capsule acidophilus
* 1 drop Grapefruit Seed Extract (GSE)
* Optional, though very beneficial.
Boil the water, add the gelatin and mix well. Add the following ingredients in order, mixing well after each addition:

1/2 of the canned milk
Mayonnaise and Yogurt
Rest of the milk
All other ingredients

You can substitute canned goat's milk for the canned evaporated milk, if you prefer it. This mixture will keep in the fridge for up to four days. It is jello-like in consistency in the fridge so you can just scoop out as much as you need and warm. It can also be frozen in ice cube trays and defrosted as needed. You can find pet vitamins at a pet store or your vet, and acidophilus and GSE in the liquid form at a good health food store.

If you prefer, you can use this recipe permanently, instead of a commercially available kitten formula. If you are using a commercial formula, add a quarter of a teaspoon of full fat yogurt to the first bottle of each day. This will aid in your kitten's digestion.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dharma3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
called the high school and they are going to let my DD run to the store for me...I'm begining to love the south more and more everyday. I called and they were like "baby kittens? yeah we'll tell her to run by the feed store, just send her back when she's done"

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by dharma3

called the high school and they are going to let my DD run to the store for me...I'm begining to love the south more and more everyday. I called and they were like "baby kittens? yeah we'll tell her to run by the feed store, just send her back when she's done"
Oh, that's good!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Originally Posted by AddieBee

You can substitute canned goat's milk
I think goat milk is by itself useful as emergency milk.
As witnessed by a cat rescuer from Bosnia (ex Jugoslavia).
In any case, the best alternative milk-recipes are based on goat-milk.

Another reserve recipe is, as I remember:

gruel, preferably on low-lactose milk, preferably full-fat, not fatreduced.
some corn(=maize-gruel) may be added
egg-yolk
butter
some dextrose sugar,
little salt

I know a forumist used this for kittens in her ward with good results. She didnt had KMR nor Royal Canins kitten milk.

If it is waiting till the shops opens, you can probably give them lukewarm water. Should do OK.

If you want to elaborate this reserve, so add also dextrose sugar + a little salt.
1 litre water
1-2 soup-spoons of dextrose sugar (or honey)
1 tea-spoon of kitchen salt

Cook it up, let it cool till lukewarm.

It is same as you use if cats or humans are dehydraded.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dharma3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
well thats interesting I would have thought isomil for lactose intolerant babies would be a better quality milk and better for the kittens than the kitten formula. I'm glad I asked first.

Thanks to all for the recipies. Do they sell goat milk at walmart?

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

well thats interesting I would have thought isomil for lactose intolerant babies would be a better quality milk and better for the kittens than the kitten formula. I'm glad I asked first.

Dont know... they might. Is that the only grocery where you live?

It's a good thought, but soy doesn't really agree with cats and from what I have read can negatively impact their thyroid.

kittieshasme

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have used a goat's milk based formula for kittens and puppies for years. It works very well. You should be able to buy canned goat's milk at Walmart in the section with the other canned milk.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittiesHasMe

I have used a goat's milk based formula for kittens and puppies for years. It works very well.
Ah, so the base is goat milk. Please, tell us also what is the formula?

(Moderators could perhaps cut and paste all the working formulas,
or something?)

kittieshasme

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Here's the formula I use:

1 can goat's milk
1 cup water
2 large beaten egg yolks
1 teaspoon light corn syrup
4 or 5 drops liquid pediatric (children's) vitamins.

Mix the first four ingredients in a sauce pan and heat to simmer. Turn off heat and cool. Add liquid vitamins when cool. Store in refrigerater until needed.

Heat to body temperature to feed kittens.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise

The problem with soy milk is that it does not contain the type of protein that kittens need. It would be equivalent to feeding adult cats tofu instead of meat. It may work for humans, but a cat would starve to death on that diet.

proudmamiof4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I rescue cats and kittens and have had many litters of bottle fed kittens! My vet gave me a recipe for kitten formula and it is what I use with all my bottle fed kittens.

1 can of goats milk
13oz of pedialyte
1/4 c of live culture full fat yogurt
2 egg yolks
1 jar of chiken or turkey baby food
2 drops of kitten vitamins

mix well (in a blender) and refrigerate what you would use for 3 days, freeze the rest

All the kittens I have raised on this are very healthy, never have diarrhea or constipation problems.

proudmamiof4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also wanted to add (I couldn't edit??) that along with the ingredients listed in my previous post you will need 2tbsp of kaero syrup (the clear one) and a tbsp of probiotics.