Figures this would happen to me

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So I had my wisdom teeth removed yesterday morning (I only had three, because one was removed years ago in a misguided effort by my parents to save money). I was doing everything right, according to the instructions.

I asked the oral surgeon if I should wear my TMJ stint (NTI-TSS), and he said yes because people tend to grind and clench MORE after their surgery. So I wore it yesterday when I would lay down, everything was still good.

Until this morning, around 3 a.m. when I woke up with one hell of a migraine.
I had to wait 1.5 hours before I could take my pain meds again (I couldn't take any Aleeve, because it can interact with the Lortab).

I'm fine now, but man was that terrible!! I can handle a LOT of pain, but it was really the nausea that I had to fight back after taking my meds (when my migraines go too long, I get nauseous and nearly always vomit).

I think I'll skip on the NTI and see how that goes. :/

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh dear, I really do not want to get my wisdom teeth pulled
(Ive been putting it off for a couple years now..)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Tara & Rob

Oh dear, I really do not want to get my wisdom teeth pulled
(Ive been putting it off for a couple years now..)
Here's the thing...it wasn't so bad, except the migraine. And honestly, I might have to have one of my molars removed because I waited so long. I won't know for sure until after I see my regular dentist.

My wisdom teeth were basically becoming one with my back molars on the bottom.

So, my advice? Sooner rather than later. You can avoid more serious complications and you heal faster.

I wish I had done that.

grogs

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by emrldsky

So, my advice? Sooner rather than later. You can avoid more serious complications and you heal faster.

I wish I had done that.
When I was 18, I was ready to have mine out, but I had this idiot dentist who told me that I should wait until they started hurting me to have them removed. This was despite the fact that they were impacted and had zero chance of ever coming in properly. After that, I was always too busy so I ended up putting off my wisdom teeth for 6 years. As a result, the surgery to have them removed was much tougher. All of my back molars had to have big fillings where the wisdom was pushing against them and 2 (so far) have needed to be crowned. So better to have a small unpleasant wisdom tooth removal now than a big unpleasant one and a bunch of fillings later on.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by emrldsky

Until this morning, around 3 a.m. when I woke up with one hell of a migraine.
I had to wait 1.5 hours before I could take my pain meds again (I couldn't take any Aleeve, because it can interact with the Lortab).
Do you mind telling me how it interacts? I've never heard of them doing so - naproxen and lortab (along with several other painkillers in that catagory) are commonly prescribed together.

Maybe you're thinking that you can't take tylenol (acetaminophen) when taking lortab, which would be correct as they're both acetaminophen. You also can't mix NSAIDs, which lortab is definitely not.

Double check with your pharmacist. I'd hate for you to be sitting there in pain when you are able to take medication for it.
(Personally I've been on naproxen with lortab, darvocet, and tramadol - doctors prescribed it and my pharmacist never batted an eye)

Do you have anti nausea meds? You may even be able to just call your dentist and get a small prescription in case you have any problems over the next few days. You don't want to vomit as that will drastically increase chances of infection.

For no more migraines. Having the rest of your wisdom teeth removed is trouble enough.

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Do you mind telling me how it interacts? I've never heard of them doing so - naproxen and lortab (along with several other painkillers in that catagory) are commonly prescribed together.

Maybe you're thinking that you can't take tylenol (acetaminophen) when taking lortab, which would be correct as they're both acetaminophen. You also can't mix NSAIDs, which lortab is definitely not.

Double check with your pharmacist. I'd hate for you to be sitting there in pain when you are able to take medication for it.
(Personally I've been on naproxen with lortab, darvocet, and tramadol - doctors prescribed it and my pharmacist never batted an eye)

Do you have anti nausea meds? You may even be able to just call your dentist and get a small prescription in case you have any problems over the next few days. You don't want to vomit as that will drastically increase chances of infection.

For no more migraines. Having the rest of your wisdom teeth removed is trouble enough.
You're right, I was thinking Tylenol. The surgeon's office called today to see how I was and told me if the full dose of Lortab isn't strong enough, I can take up to 800MG of Ibuprofen.

And the nausea was a direct result of the migraine.
It finally passed, but I'm dreading getting another (or worse, having a rebound).

Since this morning, I've mostly felt a bit dizzy, but silly me overexerted myself. I've never been really good at the "rest and relax" while sick thing. My husband gave me a good "talkin to" so I'm being a good patient.

Thanks for all the advice though...if the surgeon's office hadn't called, I might never have known.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad that's straightened out. Hopefully an NSAID can help.
The dizziness may be partially due to the lortab. Most painkillers will cause some vasodilation and drop blood pressure some. They also make many people feel off balance/loopy anyways. (don't drive!)
Whatever caused the nausea, anti nausea meds could still help you.

There has been plenty of wisdom teeth threads with food recommendations if you need them.

More for quick healing.

darkmavis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, here's some for a speedy recovery and lots less pain!!

Wisdom teeth have never been an issue for me apparently, i have 3 up in there according to xrays (never developed a 4th?), and I guess they never moved or anything so it's never been brought up to get them out. I'd be terrified if I would ever have to get them out since I've heard as well that the earlier it's done, the better. (i'm 28 now) Maybe i should ask about it in general when i go to the dentist next in a few weeks...

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all the advice and well wishes! Today was actually not too bad once the night-time Lortab dose was leaving my system.
Once the dizziness passed, I was able to move around the house a bit.

The worst part was feeling bored most of the day. I sent DH out with a book list so I'm set for tomorrow. The heat feels good on my face, and I'm taking all my meds like a good girl. I'm also rinsing and gargling the warm salt water after every meal (meals are more like snacks).

The swelling isn't terrible, but it's worse than it was (which they told me it would be). The pain is actually really manageable today.

I just need to get over the whole, "If I chew, I'll get food in cavities" issue. I've noticed that what I THINK is food is really the stitches, so I need to just get over it. lol

Tomorrow for breakfast: scrambled eggs. I'm actually really excited about it.