Tail bone...TMI?

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has anyone ever bruised, dislocated, or broken their tail bone? If so how long did it take to heal?

I am pretty sure mine dislocated during labor. It's been 3 weeks and I am still having issues sitting. When I feed DS in the middle of the night, I am in tears from the pain. It seems to get worst before it rains too.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can't exactly dislocate your coccyx. I suggest you look up sacroiliac joint as it does cause pain in that area if there's a problem.

If that is the case, things will be loose due to having given birth. Some of us are naturally looser down there (I have some hypermobility and SI joint dysfunction as a result). It should get a little better but physical therapy will help a lot.

Here's a very quick test for you to try to see if this is what the problem is. Go lay on the floor with your legs together. Bring one leg up and put that ankle on your other knee. (makes a figure 4) Have someone push (or push it yourself) the knee of the bent leg towards the floor. If there is pain around your tailbone and butt - it's your SJ joint.

I do suggest you get it checked out, if it doesn't tighten back up properly you can end up with very painful arthritis there!
I already have arthritis, obviously, but keeping everything strong has helped a lot. Back in December of '06 I could not walk for around 18-19 days due to a very very bad flare up. You don't want something like that happening.

As for bruising the coccyx, been there done that. The pain tends to go away after a couple weeks. I've heard fracturing it (from a very hard fall) takes longer to heal, of course.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

As for bruising the coccyx, been there done that. The pain tends to go away after a couple weeks. I've heard fracturing it (from a very hard fall) takes longer to heal, of course.
I fell hard on mine when i was younger. I could hardly walk for the next couple of days because of the pain

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rosiemac

I fell hard on mine when i was younger. I could hardly walk for the next couple of days because of the pain
I did, too. A friend and I were stupidly kicking a stone back and forth to each other across the thick ice covering her driveway.
Other falls weren't as bad as that one.

Note to all readers, don't do stupid stuff on ice...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

You can't exactly dislocate your coccyx. I suggest you look up sacroiliac joint as it does cause pain in that area if there's a problem.

If that is the case, things will be loose due to having given birth. Some of us are naturally looser down there (I have some hypermobility and SI joint dysfunction as a result). It should get a little better but physical therapy will help a lot.

Here's a very quick test for you to try to see if this is what the problem is. Go lay on the floor with your legs together. Bring one leg up and put that ankle on your other knee. (makes a figure 4) Have someone push (or push it yourself) the knee of the bent leg towards the floor. If there is pain around your tailbone and butt - it's your SJ joint.

I do suggest you get it checked out, if it doesn't tighten back up properly you can end up with very painful arthritis there!
I already have arthritis, obviously, but keeping everything strong has helped a lot. Back in December of '06 I could not walk for around 18-19 days due to a very very bad flare up. You don't want something like that happening.

Maybe I fractured it? I feel pain when I put pressure on the tail bone area(towards the rectum). I heard/felt a pop while in the hospital and then the pain started.

Nope. No pain from the figure 4 with pressure.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I did, too. A friend and I were stupidly kicking a stone back and forth to each other across the thick ice covering her driveway.
I was sitting on the front of my dads van when a friend grabbed my ankles. I had hold of the wing mirror, but stupidly let go when i fell hard
Even now i can still get the odd twinge if i sit too long, and were talking nearly 40 years ago!

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rosiemac

I was sitting on the front of my dads van when a friend grabbed my ankles. I had hold of the wing mirror, but stupidly let go when i fell hard
Even now i can still get the odd twinge if i sit too long, and were talking nearly 40 years ago!
OUCH! That had to hurt.

dharma3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The tailbone area (called the coccyx) is the triangular bony structure at the bottom of your vertebral column (your spine). It is composed of 3-5 bony segments held in place by joints and ligaments. Pain and discomfort in the tailbone area is a condition called coccydynia. It is possible to bruise, dislocate, or even fracture (break) the coccyx. The majority of coccyx injuries in women ocour because the female pelvis is broader and the coccyx is more exposed. The coccyx can be injured or even fractured during childbirth.

As I'm sure you know, coccyx injuries are often extremely painful. To help relieve the pain try to avoid sitting down for long periods of time. When you are sitting down try to sit on hard surface and alternate sitting on each side of the buttocks. Also, lean forward and direct your weight away from the tailbone.

You may also want to try and apply ice to the tailbone area for 15-20 minutes, 4 times a day. If ice is uncomfortale, try a heating pad set on low to begin with and then raise the temp until you fill comfortable.

IF YOU ARE NOT BREAST FEEDING, use ibuprofen (Advil), or a similar pain medicine, as directed on the label for pain control.

You can also purchase a "doughnut" cushion or pillow to sit on. This cushion has a hole in the middle of it to prevent the tailbone from contacting the flat surface. Some people use these for hemorrhoids. If you can't afford a "doughnut" try filling two tube sock with rice and tie the ends together to make a U shape and sit on that.

Also eat foods high in fiber to soften your stools and avoid constipation...the last thing you want is to be constipated and sitting on that toilet with an injured tailbone!

Most importantly call your OB/GYN, that's what he/she is there for. Your doctor may want to do an X-ray but I doubt it since you've recently given birth and I assume the pain started after the delivery and you haven't had a fall since then.

The pain may last a month and it may go away in a few days. Rarely does it require surgery or injections or anything like that.

Good luck and congrats on the DS!

catmom2wires

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Look up "coccydynia" and you'll find lots of info. It's best to address this NOW, before it gets chronic. I agree with the previous poster--call the doc!

I had some coccyx pain that mysteriously showed up about 7 years ago. It was horrible and lasted for over 3 years before mysteriously disappearing. It was quite painful and made life miserable.

Good luck and congrats on your baby boy!

Cally

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by dharma3

The tailbone area (called the coccyx) is the triangular bony structure at the bottom of your vertebral column (your spine). It is composed of 3-5 bony segments held in place by joints and ligaments. Pain and discomfort in the tailbone area is a condition called coccydynia. It is possible to bruise, dislocate, or even fracture (break) the coccyx. The majority of coccyx injuries in women ocour because the female pelvis is broader and the coccyx is more exposed. The coccyx can be injured or even fractured during childbirth.

As I'm sure you know, coccyx injuries are often extremely painful. To help relieve the pain try to avoid sitting down for long periods of time. When you are sitting down try to sit on hard surface and alternate sitting on each side of the buttocks. Also, lean forward and direct your weight away from the tailbone.

You may also want to try and apply ice to the tailbone area for 15-20 minutes, 4 times a day. If ice is uncomfortale, try a heating pad set on low to begin with and then raise the temp until you fill comfortable.

IF YOU ARE NOT BREAST FEEDING, use ibuprofen (Advil), or a similar pain medicine, as directed on the label for pain control.

You can also purchase a "doughnut" cushion or pillow to sit on. This cushion has a hole in the middle of it to prevent the tailbone from contacting the flat surface. Some people use these for hemorrhoids. If you can't afford a "doughnut" try filling two tube sock with rice and tie the ends together to make a U shape and sit on that.

Also eat foods high in fiber to soften your stools and avoid constipation...the last thing you want is to be constipated and sitting on that toilet with an injured tailbone!

Most importantly call your OB/GYN, that's what he/she is there for. Your doctor may want to do an X-ray but I doubt it since you've recently given birth and I assume the pain started after the delivery and you haven't had a fall since then.

The pain may last a month and it may go away in a few days. Rarely does it require surgery or injections or anything like that.

Good luck and congrats on the DS!
Thanks...that's what I read only earlier today. I am already on softens and can't use the doughnut due to another issue
I had figured out that hard surfaces were better. I was using mom's laptop in the kitchen and when I went down to my pc chair I was in more pain. Ice doesn't help. I haven't figured out how to get a heating pad on the spot. LoL It also gets worst in the middle of the night. When I get up for the night time feedings I am in tears from the pain.

I am trying to wait it out until my next OB appt. If it keeps up this strong I will have to call in sooner.

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CatMom2Wires

Look up "coccydynia" and you'll find lots of info. It's best to address this NOW, before it gets chronic. I agree with the previous poster--call the doc!

I had some coccyx pain that mysteriously showed up about 7 years ago. It was horrible and lasted for over 3 years before mysteriously disappearing. It was quite painful and made life miserable.

Good luck and congrats on your baby boy!

Cally
Thanks very much. I am beginning to think I should call Monday. They already knew about the pain. I have another issue and I think they thought the pain was from that.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just to be clear, when I said you can't exactly dislocate it I meant it in the same way that you can't technically dislocate the rest of your spine. (something else happens and it's not the same as with, say, your hip or shoulder joint dislocating)

The reason I suggested SI is because just how common it is.

My coccyx is fused, there are no joints. I could have sworn that they were supposed to be fused in most adults.
But, I have other spinal deformities, as well, so I'm hardly average there.

Call you GP even? An x-ray is an x-ray, and any doctor can order them. The radiologist will be the one to read them. Go ahead and get that done as it can show anything going on in that area that has to do with your spine or pelvis. It can speed things up, too. Any ideas if you have an odd shaped pelvis? Mine is much smaller on the right and narrower - I was told if I were to ever give birth naturally that could be an issue for me... well that and the SI issues.

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Call you GP even? An x-ray is an x-ray, and any doctor can order them. The radiologist will be the one to read them. Go ahead and get that done as it can show anything going on in that area that has to do with your spine or pelvis. It can speed things up, too. Any ideas if you have an odd shaped pelvis? Mine is much smaller on the right and narrower - I was told if I were to ever give birth naturally that could be an issue for me... well that and the SI issues.
I haven't been told anything about my pelvis. He was a big baby and I had all kinds of issues.

BTW it hurts when I get on my knees and stick my butt in the area. LMAO I just happened to do that to talk to my son.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've bruised mine many times. IMO it really doesn't heal 100%. I've had it still hurt in certain ways months after brusining it.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Crazyforinfo

I haven't been told anything about my pelvis. He was a big baby and I had all kinds of issues.

BTW it hurts when I get on my knees and stick my butt in the area. LMAO I just happened to do that to talk to my son.
Oh ouch! And the second part would suggest active inflammation. Ice it, even if it feels like it isn't doing much other than giving you a cold butt..

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Oh ouch! And the second part would suggest active inflammation. Ice it, even if it feels like it isn't doing much other than giving you a cold butt..
Thanks for the advice

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I fell down the stairs a couple of years ago and hit my tailbone on every wooden step on the way down. The x-rays were of such terrible quality that you couldn't even tell I had a tailbone. The doctor said it was fine, but I know it is dislocated. How do I know? Well, I used to be able to see the bump from the end of my tailbone when I looked in the mirror. Now, there is nothing there, I can't even feel the end of it because it is now pointed inward. I call that a dislocation when it is no longer located where it used to be. The weird thing is that it didn't hurt as much as some of the other injuries that I got from the fall.

I hope your tailbone feels better

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by WELDRWOMN

I fell down the stairs a couple of years ago and hit my tailbone on every wooden step on the way down. The x-rays were of such terrible quality that you couldn't even tell I had a tailbone. The doctor said it was fine, but I know it is dislocated. How do I know? Well, I used to be able to see the bump from the end of my tailbone when I looked in the mirror. Now, there is nothing there, I can't even feel the end of it because it is now pointed inward. I call that a dislocation when it is no longer located where it used to be. The weird thing is that it didn't hurt as much as some of the other injuries that I got from the fall.

I hope your tailbone feels better
I noticed it was more in too. I kept saying my crack didn't feel right and it went in where it didn't before. I bet they thought it was the drugs. LOL
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

Awww Michele!
I have no advice about butts..etc..lol..but I hope you feel better soon!
Thanks for all the wishes.
I tried the ice last night and it really helped. Took awhile to get it in the right place though.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Several years ago (like 10ish) i managed to pull all the tendons/ligaments between my tailbone and hips. It took forever to heal and I couldn't sit for several days. In fact it still gives me trouble and even more now that I'm 8 months pregnant. The extra weight and pressure on my pelvis makes some days sitting at a desk for 7 hours unbearable. For this type of injury donuts don't work very well. Donuts are made more for hemroids and the tail bone sits behind that area meaning that even on a donut, your tailone is still sitting on the donut and supporting your weight. I have a memory foam neck pilow (more of a U shape) that I sit on at work and it helps a lot. I'm very worried about what labor/delivery are going to do to it though and I completly expect to have a lot of pain because of it.

Good luck and congratulations!