Need advice (and support!) re: my book

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I may have mentioned on here that I'm writing a children's book. I now have enough completed to send with a query to an agent. I have never been published. Would you send your sample chapters out even though the book's not complete? I feel like it would give me more incentive to write if I do get positive feedback from her. Now I put off writing with any of a dozen excuses: Survivor's on, American Idol's on, I'm tired, I'm hungry, Daisy is sitting on the keyboard...

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't say about agents, but I know publishers want a completed *edited* manuscript nowadays. it was different a couple decades ago, but now they want it all nicely done. Changes still get made, but I'd have it completed before you send a query with chapters. And at least one round of editing done.

I don't know how fast you type, but set aside one hour a day, as often as possible. So, even at three times a week, you're still making progress. Set the VCR/DVR to record your programs (God knows, I have plenty of them myself, but I've managed to write four short-novel length manuscripts).

Typically agents and editors like to see the first few chapters and the *last* chapter... so they know where it's going. So, finish it.

What age group are you aiming for?

Set some time aside... I know about distractions (I'm ADD), but I make myself do it. I use a kitchen timer to force myself to set the time aside (no getting up until the timer goes off).

Hope that helps... good luck! I know you can do it.

Amanda

lil maggie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Writing a childrens book! Wow, you're talented!

Sending lots of and support so you'll keep busy at it!

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just wanted to say good luck. I'm rather interested in the process. I've been thinking about diving in and writing some history.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you all for your advice and support. The girl in my story is thirteen, so I'm aiming for a young-adult market. When I was a teenager, I actually submitted a cover letter and synopsis for a different book directly to Dell Publishing House. I didn't have a clue what I was doing I just typed it out on a manual typewriter because I didn't have a computer and mailed it in. As I recall, I didn't even address it to anyone in particular. Would you believe they actually took the time to make critique my work, make corrections and suggestions? They didn't even give me a rejection. I put the book away and never responded to them. My cousin, a librarian, told me how rare it was for a publishing company to do something like that. She said I should have at least written them a thank letter for all they did and resubmitted with their suggestions. Looking back, I wish I would have.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's neat. I don't know if they would take that sort of time now days.

Did you work on a chapter yesterday? Maybe visiting TCS should be a reward for that? And if you didn't, I hope by the time you come back and post again you can say that you did finish a chapter.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

That's neat. I don't know if they would take that sort of time now days.

Did you work on a chapter yesterday? Maybe visiting TCS should be a reward for that? And if you didn't, I hope by the time you come back and post again you can say that you did finish a chapter.
You're very preceptive! I do visit TCS when I should really be working on my manuscript. TCS is just so darn fun! I will try to do better. After today, you won't hear from me unless I've finished a complete chapter.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Writing a book is a very rewarding experience. I wrote a family genealogy book several years ago and had it published. It was a lot of hard work, but very much worth every hour spent. Good luck with your endeavors.