Getting Custody of a Teenager?

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has anyone here ever tried to get custody of a teenager that's been abused (physically) by their parents? We are going to try to do this - the parents told the daughter they were putting her in the foster system - we'd like to step in before that happens...

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Would the teenager not be able to have a say in the matter? I'd probably talk to a good family lawyer to find out what my options would be.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

Would the teenager not be able to have a say in the matter? I'd probably talk to a good family lawyer to find out what my options would be.
She would, I think...it's all so confusing. Naturally, I'm a little worried about cost, but if she really wants to live with us, I'm up for it. She might even be old enough to be emancipated, which would make it even easier. She's either 15 or 16...my daughter's age.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rosiemac

Are social services not involved in this at all?. And how far do they live from you?
They live in the same county, although many miles away; it's a big county. I understand social services have been called several times. Of course they come investigate, the parents are all nice and show a clean home, etc...then when social services leaves the kids get beat for reporting. I honestly never would have guessed the parents were like that.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by kluchetta

They live in the same county, although many miles away; it's a big county. I understand social services have been called several times. Of course they come investigate, the parents are all nice and show a clean home, etc...then when social services leaves the kids get beat for reporting. I honestly never would have guessed the parents were like that.
Just be careful Kim. Our daughter befriended a young woman in high school that had a similar story and I was ready to step in to do something when I found out through the school that the girl was not being honest with our daughter and that there were things we didn't know about (and which they could not tell us) and that we would be wise to not get involved in the situation.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't know if state laws have anything to do with it or not, but I was emancipated at the age of 13.
Worth checking into.

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

Just be careful Kim. Our daughter befriended a young woman in high school that had a similar story and I was ready to step in to do something when I found out through the school that the girl was not being honest with our daughter and that there were things we didn't know about (and which they could not tell us) and that we would be wise to not get involved in the situation.
I was kinda thinking the same thing, you need to talk to someone else besides the teenager to make sure it is true. Some teenagers will lie and some teenagers are very good at it too.

I hope everything works out for you and the teenager too. Keep us posted on what is happening with ya'll.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I'm hoping there is some record of the social services call and/or the recent police station visit. I think she's really sad her parents want to give her up, even after everything, so that kind of makes things ring true.

dharma3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm new here so I'm not all that comfortable with giving advice but as a medical professional I can tell you that we are legally obligated to report cases of suspected abuse. Perhaps you could try taking her to a doctor, they would then be forced to report the case and family services may be more inclined to listen a doctor. School's are also obligated to report abuse so you could try going to her school and speaking with the principal?

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by dharma3

I'm new here so I'm not all that comfortable with giving advice but as a medical professional I can tell you that we are legally obligated to report cases of suspected abuse. Perhaps you could try taking her to a doctor, they would then be forced to report the case and family services may be more inclined to listen a doctor. School's are also obligated to report abuse so you could try going to her school and speaking with the principal?
Ooh, awesome idea. I hate to wait until the "next time". But I do know that her friends have asked her to document it so she has some proof.