Have you started your garden yet?

monaxlisa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've just got mine all turned over, bush peas have been soaked and I'm hoping to get some in today and the rest over the weekend (supposed to rain tomorrow). I'm also planning on putting in some pole beans and covering them with plastic since it's a tad early for them still (I think). And Im pretty sure turnips and beets will be going in too. Not sure what else (I'm open to suggestions!!!) since we're still getting a little frost at night. I'm going to town tomorrow to get some seeds. I think I might put in potatoes too, but Im not sure if I have enough room. Does anyone know if you can plant potatoes that you get at the grocery store? I know youre not supposed to but I have a bunch and I dont really want to spend money on a potato set just to plant.
I might start a few things inside, corn and maybe some squash and tomatoes. I'd like to start carrots and radishes but their seeds are so tiny I dont really want to transplant them. I am going to look for carrots that are colors other than orange, how fun would that be!

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are your potatos sprouting yet? If not, don't plant them. We had a 1/2 a bag that got shoved in the back of the cupboard last year, and when we found them they are sprouting (as in 4-5" plants!). Yeah, I'm a terrible housekeeper....anyway...
That is when you need to plant them, according to DH. The potatoes are still firm, as in not rotten, so they should be good to go. If they aren't sprouting I wouldn't try, but maybe somebody else has more suggestions.

We're waiting until the middle of next month to get our garden in, but we mainly grow tomatoes, peppers and squash so I think they have to wait until later. Good Luck!

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not quite warm enough yet. We normally plant near the long weekend in May.... so 3wks or so from now.

I can't wait
Love my fresh garden veggies, they taste so much better than the store bought ones.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We planted grapes last week.
We are waiting for the danger of frost to pass before we plant the other stuff.
We have Pumpkin,Watermelon and Corn seeds so far.
You can plant Potatoes once they sprout.
My dad does that and he gets good potatoes from them.
I have Artichokes right now.

peachytoday

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't planted yet and unfortunately it is supposed to rain this weekend. We shall see. I want to have my lettuce started soon as I plant in spurts to keep a steady supply going as long as I can. I am almost out of the tomato sauce I canned last year so I am impatient for my tomatoes. It is asparagus time right now so that is keeping me going. I can't wait for all my fresh produce as well. Especially the beans and beets. My husband loves my pickled beets while I love them roasted. mmmmmm.

tari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't planted anything yet, but I'm planning on giving it a shot this year. I have a terrible brown thumb. I do have some perennial flowers I planted a few years ago and I want to add some more of those. I've been trying to stick with plants that are native to Illinois, or at least the general midwest. I also want to start an herb garden this year.

I've also just discovered that we have a boarder in our yard...a beautiful brown bunny has taken up residence under pool deck!! I
love
bunnies, so I wouldn't dream of evicting it. I think it may be a pregnant female, so I'm looking forward to maybe having some baby bunnies to watch this summer.

I don't really mind if bunny and family nibble on my garden. Any suggestions for bunny-friendly plants?

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We've been busy with other projects so we haven't tilled yet, and it's supposed to rain this weekend.
I might try dragging my DH out of bed early tomorrow and see if we can get that started.

I don't plan to plant a lot of veggies. Squash, peppers, some sort of bean (green or wax, not sure yet), maybe some tomatoes and eggplant. I'll probably plant greens in the turtle pens for them to eat on.

Originally Posted by Tari

I don't really mind if bunny and family nibble on my garden. Any suggestions for bunny-friendly plants?
Various greens are good snacks. Collard, turnip, mustard, kale, etc - opposed to lettuce. All grow very quickly from seeds and will need some thinning out.

If you want to keep them out of certain sections you may be able to use marigolds.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's a bit early here as well. I did buy a planter of pansies for my front standing vase. They are hardy enough to take the cooler nights. As long as there is still a danger of frost I don't plant any annuals. After spending $150 for annuals I prefer to wait until I'm sure I won't lose them and need to spend another $150.

As for the potatoes, wait until the sprouts start growing out of the eyes, cut the potato into pieces with a good eye/sprout in each piece and plant that. I remember cutting these to help mom and dad when we were kids.

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't do veggies---the critters just come along and eat them.
I was out this morning planting some flower pots, and have a ton more to do.

rahma

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm planning on starting my balcony garden this weekend
We started out with a single tomato plant a few years back. This year, I'm planning on planting:

*Mint - have to go buy a new one. We brought the one from last year indoors and the Squeakster ate it

*Cilantro
*Parsley
*Sungold Tomatos - if I can find them. I usually get them from the farmer's market in Madison, WI, but I'm not going down there for awhile. Sooo sweet and sooo tasty.
*Another more "regular" tomato
*A variety of lettuce
*Possibly spinach

I don't think we're going to have any room to sit on our balcony this summer

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by libby74

I don't do veggies---the critters just come along and eat them.
Go with nightshade family plants - peppers and tomatoes don't have that many things that will eat them (hawk moth larvae aside). Herbs like basil, thyme, and rosemary don't seem to have a lot that munches on them, either.
Squash does great, until you get squash bugs - but they're really the only thing that bothers various types of squash.

Originally Posted by Yosemite

It's a bit early here as well. I did buy a planter of pansies for my front standing vase. They are hardy enough to take the cooler nights.
I never really have luck with pansies or violas. For the opposite reason, as soon as it gets hot here they just seem to wither away to nothing and die.
Violets seem hardier.

deedeemay

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My parents have finally sorted out the top end of our garden, we have a vegetable patch!
They have decided to grow some potatoes and some sweetcorn, I think it's so cool.

It's just the bottom end near the house that just needs a good seeing to!
And with it mostly being concrete we need to decide what to do with it...

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have planted lettuce seeds--in the turtle pens and for human consumption. Hope to do peppers, cucumbers and zucchini this weekend.

Leslie

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
^Mustard and turnip greens are healthier (good for calcium), and hold better to trampling. If you can get a hold of some dandelion seeds and plant other native greens it's even better than cultivated ones. My turtles love shepherds purse - people can eat it, too.

Well, a big storm blew in and we got rain. So there won't be any tilling tomorrow and the weekend is out of the question. Figures.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mews2much

I want to plant Asparagus also.
Asparagus does best in it's own bed as it gets large and will take food away from anything else near it. You won't be able to harvest any till next year. If you don't have a compost pile you should start one as asparagus generally will need some feeding.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mews2much

I plan on putting it seperate from the rest of the garden.
I do not have a compost pile right now.
Well get to moving on one.
I don't have one started yet, either. I intended to have two - one inside the turtle pen and one near the garden. I'll have to be careful what I put in the one with the turtles because they will prowl through it and try stuff.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

^Mustard and turnip greens are healthier (good for calcium), and hold better to trampling. If you can get a hold of some dandelion seeds and plant other native greens it's even better than cultivated ones. My turtles love shepherds purse - people can eat it, too.

Well, a big storm blew in and we got rain. So there won't be any tilling tomorrow and the weekend is out of the question. Figures.
Oh my, I love turnip greens and beet greens. If I had turtles we would be fighting over these greens.