Strange behavior right after neutering

poppy0109

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I got Poppy neutered on Monday. He's about 5 months old.

Monday night I went to a meeting and my parents were visiting so they could watch him. They said that Poppy took one of his toys (a long furry tail-like toy that can be attached to a pole) and was running around with it, putting it under the stove and running down the basement with it and growling. I kinda didn't believe them, maybe they heard something else, not growling. Then...just now, this evening, I witnessed this behavior.

We had been playing with that toy, but then he took it away from me and ran down the basement with it, pole and all. I went down there to bring it back up because I didn't want him hurting himself with the pole and he was growling and hissing. I took it back upstairs and as soon as we got upstairs he grabbed it again and went down the basement with it and was growling and hissing some more. I took it off the pole so he could do whatever he wanted with it. He easily let me take it away from him. I came back upstairs and a minute later he came back up in the kitchen with the toy. I walked in the kitchen but didn't go near him because he was still growling. I started talking to him sweetly. Another minute later he left the toy were he was laying on it, walked over to me and was acting normal again.

He never acted like that before he got neutered. Why would he act like that immediately after being neutered?

I'm going to the vet tomorrow for a follow-up visit because he had a skin tag or something hanging out of one of the areas but now it's gone, maybe he either licked it off or it fell off but it's still red right there. He seems fine. He's playing, running around, eating, drinking and going to the bathroom just fine. He's snuggly, giving nose pushing kisses and sleeping with me. I just don't understand that growling and hissing with the toy. I'm going to ask the vet about it too.

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would not worry. It's a normal behavior for growing kitties.
When one of my youngsters succeeds in catching prey (anything from live creatures to stuffed toys) he growls, hisses and won't allow others including me to get near him. They go back to acting normal again once they get tired of their prize or they managed to lose it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

poppy0109

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by yayi

I would not worry. It's a normal behavior for growing kitties.
I guess it's just weird (or a coincedence) that he started doing it the same day he got neutered.

keycube

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Just look at Poppy's face though; especially those eyes. You're going to have a whole slew of weird, eccentric behaviors from that little guy.
What a cute little stinker!