Feeding Small Rat to Cats?

Status
Not open for further replies.

msktty89

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I went to the pet store to get a small rat for my snake. They had a 2 for $5 on them, so I went ahead and got two, thinking they'd be small enough for the snake to get both. Got home to realize one was enough! Now I have an extra rat (which is in a comy little cage at the moment) and I don't want it as a pet... Can my cats eat it? They've never had live food before.

I'd give it to my ferret, who I'd like to start giving mice, but it's too big (I think). Would make a good cat meal, but not even sure if they'd go for it.

Hoping for fast answers, don't want to keep it around too long!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why can you just keep it till the snake's next feeding? Most cats really would not eat it. They may chase it and kill it, but unless mom cat shows kittens its food, chances are it will not eat the dead rat.

If you cannot keep it, call the store and see if they will take it back and give you a few dollars back.

tin_wings

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would just keep it till your snakes next feeding. At least this way you can make sure the rat in question is getting all the nutrients it needs to make it a good meal for your snake.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some raw feeders do give killed mice/rats, but mine have never had that.

~*regina*~

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would never give a live animal to any animal too eat. The poor rat would be tortured if you gave it too the cats. You should bring the rat back too the store and get some money back.

Have you ever tried feeding your snake frozen rats? This way it is much more humane for the rat and your snake does not have any chance of getting hurt.

Just a thought

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some raw feeders will feed rodents....why not, its there natural prey.

If I were to feed live rodents to my cat, they would be pinkies or fuzzies because I don't want the chance of the rodent running away from the cat.

I would hold onto the rat for the snakes next feeding.... you only have a week or so to deal with it.

As for the comment on buying frozen rodents vs feeding live, I'll leave that one alone unless the poster wants to put it in IMO. Because this thread is not about whether you feel it is humane or inhumane to feed live rodents to your snake. I'd like to see that topic in IMO, I think it would be quite the debate.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Humane or not, I would not feed live prey animals unless I raised them myself.
The risk of parasites is too great, especially for a snake.
Feeder rats/mice etc are not raised or kept in the best conditions and are often riddled with parasites and other issues.

anita1216

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes, please put this IMO..so I can have a field day ripping the live feeders..

I would hold onto the rat for the snakes next feeding.... you only have a week or so to deal with it
Deal with it? It's a live animal that deserves care and decent treatment. Not somehting you just deal with.

That being said..take the animal back to the store. There is no reason to hold onto the poor thing until the snakes next feeding. Rats are not easy to "properly" care for and it sounds like the rat is more a bother for you than anything.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by anita1216

Deal with it? It's a live animal that deserves care and decent treatment. Not somehting you just deal with.
Yes, deal with it. The OP already stated the rodent is in a nice cage, all that would be needed to deal with it, is some food and water

I did not say treat it like crap as you imply.

ckblv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ~*Regina*~

I would never give a live animal to any animal too eat. The poor rat would be tortured if you gave it too the cats. You should bring the rat back too the store and get some money back.

Have you ever tried feeding your snake frozen rats? This way it is much more humane for the rat and your snake does not have any chance of getting hurt.

Just a thought
I agree. Poor rattie.

anita1216

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady

Yes, deal with it. The OP already stated the rodent is in a nice cage, all that would be needed to deal with it, is some food and water

I did not say treat it like crap as you imply.
Im just no fan of live feeders, its a cruel..of course that is another thread entirely.

I just hope the "nice cage" is not a tank *shudders* or one of those nasty hamster cages.

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do not know a single raw feeder who feeds live prey--whole prey yes, live prey no. Most cats do not know how to properly kill a rat/mouse--I can tell you right now that my two would just play with it--thats inhumane.

Return it to the store.

The OP said a "comy" cage which I took as crappy.

Leslie

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would not feed a farmed mass produced raised live rat to my kitty, just personally.

Return to the store is my suggestion.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would not recommend it. The cats would likely not know how to kill it and it might end up injured and in pain.
Also, rats can be very nasty when defending themselves and your cats could end up with injuries as well. I have pet rats and they have given a few bites to my cats through the cage bars, one of my kittens even got bitten on the tongue! She had to get pain medication and antibiotics.

forensic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
1. Rats CAN and WILL fight back if given to a cat to toy with. They can cause severe and deep bites that easily become infected which can result in severe problems for the cat, especially if sensitive areas are damaged. You would be very surprised by the harm a 'small' rat can cause when suitably inclined to bite. I'm surprised your snake has not suffered harm from a rat bit yet.

2. The cat will likely simply toy with the rat, which is tantamount to torment for the poor rodent. This is also a concern because if your home is not suitably rat-proofed the cat may easily LOSE said rat, leaving you with a pest issue, especially if the rat is female and possibly pregnant. Rats can fit though any hole as big as their head!

Forensic (Proud pet rat lover!)

anita1216

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
1. Rats CAN and WILL fight back if given to a cat to toy with. They can cause severe and deep bites that easily become infected which can result in severe problems for the cat, especially if sensitive areas are damaged. You would be very surprised by the harm a 'small' rat can cause when suitably inclined to bite. I'm surprised your snake has not suffered harm from a rat bit yet.
This reminds me of a story one of my rat breder people told me. A couple went through the entire adoption process to adopt a lovely siamese rat from her, the breeder did not know they wanted the rat as a feeder

Two weeks later they returned the rat and were pissed because it killed a snake worth 5 grand. Wow, big surprise thre.

Rats can be extremely dangerous to repitles. I don't think feeding pinkies and fuzzies is right either, goes back to that whole inhumane thing.

I understand whole prey models, but I do not understand why anyone would feed live animals to any animal, its nothing other than cruel.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by anita1216

I understand whole prey models, but I do not understand why anyone would feed live animals to any animal, its nothing other than cruel.
I do feed live insects and fish to my frogs. Many amphibians will ONLY eat live food... If you try to feed them dead insects they will end up starving to death.

anita1216

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Nekochan

I do feed live insects and fish to my frogs. Many amphibians will ONLY eat live food... If you try to feed them dead insects they will end up starving to death.
This is the main reason I cannot keep animals that require other animals "live" to feed. I am far to soft hearted. My daughter wants a turtle, but it needs feeder fish as pasrt of its diet..no can do.

To stand up for the rights of mammals and then not care about bugs and fish would make me a hypocrite...it all kind of sucks.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I owned a Ribbon Snake - they eat feeder goldfish. I had no problems feeding them live fish. And I did raise guppies and other tropical fish.

IMO if its a natural prey they would hunt (any animal) you should not be so upset about feeding them other animals.

Status
Not open for further replies.