Salmon, fish and seafood

keegen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know that tons of cat food is made using salmon, tuna, and seafood, but is it ok to feed raw? Occasionally our local grocery store has great seafood sales and I thought I might pick up some extra for the cats.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Most raw books say no... I suggest you google salmon poisoning in dogs( they have found this in cats )

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feed mine salmon, prawns, fish etc. as do most raw feeders I know.

kalikat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have heard that too much fish is no good for cats. Apparently it can affect their eyes. And then there's flukes in raw salmon which is poisonous to dogs.

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm doing it for Harley's gotcha day merely because he will not eat a treat and I figured this is the only special thing I can do for him--besides sew him a few new felt mice. It will be a once maybe twice a year thing in our house.

Leslie

dwmeowmix

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by keegen

I know that tons of cat food is made using salmon, tuna, and seafood, but is it ok to feed raw?
There's no problem feeding raw fish to cats. I wouldn't feed it exclusively though as this can cause a Thiamine (Vitamin B1) deficiency. It's like anything else when feeding raw food. It's all about the balance.

Take liver for example, you wouldn't feed liver everyday or you'd end up with a kitty with a Vitamin A overdose. So you feed it a couple of times a week. You wouldn't feed exclusively chicken either, you'd throw in some other type of meat source to balance all those wonderful vitamins that chicken may not produce enough of. Everything in moderation.

Salmon is especially wonderful due to the oils and omega 3's which are wonderful for kitty's skin, coat and heart! Pick me up some salmon! I can hear my furbabies licking their whiskers from here!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If fish based cat foods are bad for males (may trigger UTI's) then would it still be the same if its regular fresh fish? Fish is still fish, so if your males have a problem with UTI's, then I would not feed any fish - raw, cooked, or canned/dry cat food.

dwmeowmix

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I learned something new today! While I haven't changed my mind about feeding raw fish occasionally, there are definitely factors to be aware of. I hope they don't mind me copying their page for the sake of education but it does bear on this topic:

From Little Big Cat http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.ph...gerousforcats:

Why Fish is Dangerous for Cats

By Jean Hofve, DVM

A lot of cats love fish, but it's really not a good idea to feed it to your cat! Why not?

* The fish used in canned pet foods usually includes bonesand are high in phosphorus and magnesium, which can be an issue in cats with a history of urinary tract disorders or kidney disease. In practice I have seen quite a few cats develop urinary tract infections and blockages if they eat much fish--even boneless fish.

* Many cats are sensitive or even allergic to fish; it is one of the top 3 most common food allergens.

* Fish-based foods have high levels of histamine, a protein involved in allergic reactions.

* Fish tends to be "addictive" to cats. They love it, and will often stage a "hunger strike" by refusing their regular food in favor of fish. Tuna or other fish should be reserved as a rare and special treat. Feed fish no more than once a week, and even then in very small amounts only.

* There is a known link between the feeding of fish-based canned cat foods and the development of hyperthyroidism in older cats.

* Fish may not be safe to feed to cats. Predatory fish at the top of the food chain, such as tuna and salmon, may contain very elevated levels of heavy metals (including mercury) as well as PCBs, pesticides, and other toxins. Tilefish (listed on pet food labels as "ocean whitefish") are among the worst contaminated, along with king mackerel, shark, and swordfish. These fish are so toxic that the FDA advises that women of child-bearing age and children should avoid them entirely'; and they recommend only 1 serving of albacore tuna per week due to its high mercury levels. If these fish are dangerous to children, cats are at even more risk!

* The vast majority of salmon today comes from factory-farmed fish. These unfortunate animals are kept in overcrowded pens in polluted coastal waters. They're fed anti-fungals, antibiotics, and brightly-colored dyes to make their flesh "salmon colored"--it is naturally gray. Common water pollutants such as PCBs, pesticides, and other chemicals are present in farmed salmon at 10 times the amount found in wild fish. These contaminants will be present in any product made with farmed fish, including cat and dog food.

* Farmed salmon who escape their pens (and they do) outcompete and interbreed with wild salmon, as well as transmit diseases. A 2006 study confirms that salmon farms are "massive breeding grounds" for sea lice. Under natural conditions, wild adult fish carrying these parasites are not in migration channels at the same time as the defenseless, inch-long baby salmon, so infestation of the young fish is not a problem. But today, in waters near some fish farms, up to 95% of baby salmon are fatally infested. It is feared that that farmed salmon from nearly 300 fish factories in North America may ultimately decimate the wild population in the Atlantic.

* "Organic" salmon is also farm-raised, and does not have to comply with USDA organic standards. In fact, there is no regulatory agency in the United States that sets organic standards for fish. The contaminant level of organic farmed salmon may be just as high as that of conventional farmed salmon.

* The meat is toxic and the industry is environmentally destructive--need we say more?

In general, the small amounts of "fish meal" included as a flavoring and/or source of omega-3 fatty acids in cat foods are not a problem, but fish should not be a mainstay of any cat's diet. Fish should be limited to an occasional--and small--treat.