Weight Loss Journey....

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is going to be a very very long post, I hope some will read through it and would love support, and for anyone to join in who wants to start the road to weight loss. (same as my quitting smoking post).

I encourage, and would greatly appreciate something from you guys.

I would love to hear other people's weight loss stories, whether you are at the end of your journey, or just beginning. I know some people here have had gastric bypass done, and imagine that others have also had weight issues.

It would serve as a great motivation to me (and others but I can only speak for me) if you would be willing to share your story with me, with the board and those who need to hear it most.

I intend on using this thread as a tool for me, to post what is going on in my journey, meal ideas, weights, exercise...everything.

I would like to encourage anyone who wants help or support to do the same.

If you need to have lost weight, want to lose or gain weight, have tips to share, anything related to making yourself have a healthier weight...please, I am asking you to post.

There's a couple "format" ideas that I'd like to suggest to make it easier for people to scroll thru to find what they are looking for (whether it be a mealplan, update, tips, etc)

for example:

TIP when reading nutritional labels, pay attention to serving size. Without looking at the serving size, you may assume the info listed if for the whole package.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Weigh In/Update

Starting weight: xxx lbs on date
Current weight: xxx lbs on date

Thoughts/concerns/whatever.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Meal Info

Chicken: 50grams 78cal.
Brown Rice: 1/2cup 110 cal.
Veggies: 1/2pkg 80cal
Italian salad dressing: 2tbsp 10cal

Total cal. = 278 (very filling meal for me)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

etc.... just bold the heading so people can scroll through and see "oh that post is a meal idea, I'm not looking for that right now, so I can scroll to find some tips".

If you can't tell, I'm truly hoping that alot of people will post. I personally could use all the support and encouragement I can get. Reading other people's success stories always helps with motivation.... moreso here than reading in a magazine where you don't "know" the person.

I thank anyone in advance for posting, supporting, joining in on making yourself a healthy weight.

Instead of posting it in this post, I will make a seperate post for my story.

Blank template for after you post your story(anyone can use/alter to suit what you want to share...if you want to share less info, go ahead...if you want to share more info, go ahead.)

Date:
Name:

Height:
Current Weight:
BMI: if you know it

Goal Weight or BMI:

Inches: (i will put a starting total, so that I can add on as I lost inches. Personally, inches to me is more important than the actual weight number... as well, as you lose fat and gain muscle you may not notice a weight difference but you would notice inches or a size difference)

Current Pant size:

My thoughts/feelings:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

My intro story to follow. (its gonna take me a while to type out LOL)

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love this idea!!! I'm trying to lose some weight too so I'm joining in!!

I've already done some accomplishments, I recently lost 20 pounds!
Here is my info...

Sex: F
Height: 5'8"
Current Weight: 160
Goal Weight or BMI: 140
Current Pant size: 9-10

I forgot my BMI, but I know that I will be at my highest end of the normal range when I'm 150. I want to go a bit lower than that though..

How I lost 20 pounds: I really just set my mind to it, counted calories and tried to eat right. I didn't exercise although I probably should have and it took me around 3-4 months to lose this amount of weight ...Being 20 years old my metabolism is not in any way slowed down more than it should be so I think that gave me a very big advantage and is probably why I was able to lose weight without exercising at all..I dunno I just got really motivated somehow one day. I had been trying and trying all of my life to lose weight so I'm not even sure how to define this motivation that I got because I thought I was motivated, I wanted to lose weight badly even before I did this. So I'm a bit confused with myself here! I can't find what gave me motivation or anything like that. But yea I've kept the weight off for about 6 months, while slowly losing more- in the past 6 months combined i've lost a total of 5 pounds..I hope I don't screw it up and I hope I find more motivation to lose another 20!
A big and extremely important goal is also to start exercising...

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
O/T - But as someone who is skinny, my best suggestions for everyone is simply never buy snack foods (junk food). Don't even go down those aisles at the grocery store - those snacks cost too much anyways. Also never snack while watching tv or at the pc. When your mind is distracted it's easy to eat too much.

Flavor more naturally. Garlic and various peppers are better than dumping a ton of salt on something (even if I should be dumping the salt on).

Various raw or unsalted nuts make healthy snacks that actually benefit you.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

O/T - But as someone who is skinny, my best suggestions for everyone is simply never buy snack foods (junk food). Don't even go down those aisles at the grocery store - those snacks cost too much anyways. Also never snack while watching tv or at the pc. When your mind is distracted it's easy to eat too much.

Flavor more naturally. Garlic and various peppers are better than dumping a ton of salt on something (even if I should be dumping the salt on).

Various raw or unsalted nuts make healthy snacks that actually benefit you.
Those are awesome suggestions for people with lots of willpower
I can't give up my snacks...I eat low fat snacks and I give up meals sometimes to have my snacks. Unhealthy, I know but I just can't help it. There have been days in which I've had a bag of chips the entire day and nothing else because I've wanted it so badly. It really hasn't stopped me from losing weight or made me gain weight..

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ut0pia

There have been days in which I've had a bag of chips the entire day and nothing else because I've wanted it so badly. It really hasn't stopped me from losing weight or made me gain weight..
Aside from the occasional frito binge when I'm really craving salt I never eat chips. Too many GI troubles, they'll actually make me sick to my stomach and I'm lucky if the fat in them doesn't cause diarrhea (TMI, but that's what having no gallbladder can do to you).
I don't remember the name of the chips, but Super Walmarts and Sams carry a veggie chip that's baked. DH loves them.

..And there's the other secret, if you can't eat much fat because it affects you then you simply don't do it. The joys of GI issues.

Another reason to eat right so you don't end up with them!

Sorry for the O/T. Resume. Also there are older weight loss threads, but they never seem to last long.

cat.ling

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

I can't give up my snacks...I eat low fat snacks and I give up meals sometimes to have my snacks. Unhealthy, I know but I just can't help it. There have been days in which I've had a bag of chips the entire day and nothing else because I've wanted it so badly. It really hasn't stopped me from losing weight or made me gain weight..
I am like that!! I can eat a bag of chips or popcorn for lunch and skip breakfast.

I'm looking to lose about 10-15 lbs. I've gained 20+ since I started college 9 years ago. Hubby has also gained probably 30+ lbs since the same time (we started seeing each other at that time), and his blood pressure and cholesterol have both risen so they're borderline high, so I'd like to get him to do a bit of exercise and eating healthier too. But that's easier said than done. Maybe you guys can give me tips to help him out too.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will help you.
I have lost 20 pounds so far.
Its real hard for me to lose because I have other problems and can not have diet sugars.
I am only 4'9 and weigh 137 now.
My goal is to weigh 105-110.
I have soy milk with carnation instant breakfast in the am.
I use 100 calorie chips for snacks.
I can not digest so many foods.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a strange feeling that this thread will last longer than the others, because I intend on using it regularly.

I've battled weight (along with depression and low self esteem).

I had my youngest daughter in 2000, and nursed her till 2001. I lost alot of weight and was about 160lbs. By 2003 I was up to 235-240lbs from some health issues and being unable to leave my home... binging.... poor choices.

I went on a prescription weight loss med, and within 2 mos I was down to 209lbs. This was a great med, but short acting. It gave me the motivation to continue though. I was able to get myself down to 190lbs through eating and I had started working a very physical job in late 2004. I went on a different weight loss med when I plateaued for months because I am at great risk for diabetes.

This med was AMAZING. It curbed my hunger and in doing so, I was taught alot about nutrition as I wasn't eating much so what I did eat had to be nutritious. By August 16, 2006, I reached my goal weight and was happy at 158lbs. I looked good.

Now here's where the downhill started:

I injured my back at work in May 2006, but was still able to do physical activity and managed to stay on track.... I kept my weight at 165-155lbs from May 06 - March 2007. My hands started causing me probs at work by the end of 06, Feb. 14 2007, I woke up and couldn't use my hands at all.... off to the hospital, off work.....done.

My weight crept up because my physical activity was gone. For months I could not do anything aside from sitting on the couch with my hands elevated, some little comp work..... I could hardly walk because with my hands lower than my heart, the inflammation would get worse and drop me to my knees pain.

Summer of 2007: I started school to get my gr. 12. I weighed about 180lbs and I stayed at that.

Depression is a major factor in my weight. Inability to do many activities plays another huge factor. Portion control, is another factor.

When I was pulled out of school in Nov. 2008, I was 180-185lbs..... but I was also back to the physical level that I was in the beginning of 2007.

In between Nov and April I've gained over 20lbs.
At my Dr's on April 11th, the scale said 207lbs.

I have not been this heavy since 2003.

I am 32yrs old next month, I have arthritis in my knees, jaw and wrist. I have a muscular upper back workplace injury that causes pain on a daily basis. I have both golfers and tennis elbow in both arms. I have DeQuervians tendinitis in both thumbs (have had surgery on the one). I am prone to migraines, and currently have no use of my left hand. Diabetes runs in my family. Obesity runs in my family. I have chronic depression ( no meds, my choice....went off of them a couple yrs ago once my life was stable), severe panic disorder (med controlled) and of course some severe emotional issues.

I feel oh, about 80yrs old most days.

I'm 32....with the health of a senior.

The only part of my health that I can work on is the weight issue.... which in turn would help ease the pain in my knees and hips, lower the risk of diabetes, improve my self esteem and other emotions.

So here I am. More in the next post.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Date: April 29 2009
Name: Chris

Height: 5'4.5"
Current Weight: 207lbs as of April 11th.
BMI: 34.4

Goal Weight or BMI: 165lbs BMI 27.5(BMI has my goal as overweight, but it is a reasonable goal for me, one that I look pretty good in and feel pretty good).

Current Pant size: 16
Goal pant size: 10/12

My thoughts/feelings:

For the past 1.5wks, I have been counting calories and writing down what I eat on a daily basis.

I found a formula to figure out how many calories you burn doing nothing (just the amount of energy/calories that your body needs to sleep, digest, etc... bodily functions) and I used that as a starting point for me. At 207lbs, and a sedentry lifestyle, my body requires 1654cals per day.

My goal, is 1654 or less than that in calories per day.

My current focus is on nutrition rather than exercise. I need to get a handle on my poor eating habits, improve them, and hopefully within a week or two, my surgery pain will be lessened and the swelling gone so that I can do some walking.

My downfalls:

1. Midpoint during my cycle, during ovulation, I become insatiably hungry/munchy. It is downright awful. It literally consummes me. (hence the post about snacking foods, because I am coming to that point and getting munchy)

2. My physical abilities. Right now, I am limited in what I can eat based on using one hand. I'm eating alot of "ready made" foods.... ( Lean Cuisine microwave dinners, etc). During the evenings I have more ability to prepare food as my children are home from school and can help open jars and such.

3. Emotional eating.

My positives:

1. My motivation. I would like to feel my age instead of feeling so much older.

2. HEALTHY: I want to be healthy. I'm working on quitting smoking, all around I want to be healthier.

3. Warm weather is here, I would like to feel comfortable in shorts.

4. When I get down to 180 again, I can get some more work done on my back tattoo. See... the weight I've gained seems to have gone to my back, so I haven't been able to get any more work done
This is great motivation.

This has to be one of my most motivational reasons to get my ass moving on this

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ETA: I think I need to put a disclaimer on this: I hope this thread doesn't turn into a debate about what you should and shouldn't eat to lose weight. I feel like almost everyone disagrees on this issue, even some doctors and nutritionists. I think the most important thing is to research things yourself and make decisions by yourself and not based on what has helped someone else because what may help one person will not help another and could actually cause harm. That was one reason why I was feeling a bit reluctant to write much on this thread but...hopefully it will not go the wrong way especially when it goes into depression and emotional eating. These things are serious and even considered eating disorders in extreme cases. That being said .....

Counting calories has been really good for me. It's honestly what keeps me feeling good about myself. If I don't count my calories I feel paranoid that I'm gaining which sends me into a depression. I am like you, emotional eating is a big problem for me. So the problem is there is this neverending cycle, I eat which sends me into a depression which causes me to eat more. But once you break the cycle everything gets so great!! The problem is though that if you let it happen again it might be even harder to break. It's happened to me before. When I was 16 I lost a lot of weight, went down to 130 but one small mistake somehow set off a huge binging cycle for me and I gained everything back and more and that's how I got to 180. I am hoping that counting calories is the solution to not letting it start again. If you count your calories there is no way you can get depressed because you know logically and through your calculations that you are not gaining weight.
I think the upside to eating lean cuisine and frozen meals is that it makes it easier to count calories. It's a pain to have to weigh everything before you eat it. Lean cuisine meals really satisfy my hunger and during my weight loss, even though my mom was cooking real food I was still eating my lean cuisine (I try to eat the really low cal ones the ones that are like 180 calories or less). I need to start doing that again. It's not nutritious but I make up for it later by eating lots of steamed veggies and fresh fruits.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't understand, Snake Lady, I looked through the pictures thread and you look fantastic! With two kids, too! (I thought it was you, my apologies if I got the name mixed up!)

I lost 25 lbs. a year ago and gained 7 lbs. back. It is incredibly difficult for me to lose weight... I have several chronic diseases working against me, in addition to menopause (I just turned 50). I eat whole foods, nothing refined (no sugar or flour); nothing packaged; no artificial colors, sweeteners, or flavors. Yucky.

With the exception of non-fat milk and yogurt, basically if you can't rinse or wash it, I don't eat it! I also do 20 minutes of yoga five days a week. I would like to lose more but if it doesn't happen, that's okay too.

Good idea for a thread!

cat.ling

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

ETA: I think I need to put a disclaimer on this: I hope this thread doesn't turn into a debate about what you should and shouldn't eat to lose weight. I feel like almost everyone disagrees on this issue, even some doctors and nutritionists. I think the most important thing is to research things yourself and make decisions by yourself and not based on what has helped someone else because what may help one person will not help another and could actually cause harm. That was one reason why I was feeling a bit reluctant to write much on this thread but...hopefully it will not go the wrong way especially when it goes into depression and emotional eating. These things are serious and even considered eating disorders in extreme cases.
Good points! I intend to treat this thread as a suggestions and motivation topic.

Here are my details.

Date: April 29, 2009
Name: Cat

Height: 5 feet
Current Weight: 125 lbs
BMI: well, according to the Wii Fit, it's around 23.
Using BMI calculators online, it's 24.4, borderline overweight

Goal Weight or BMI: 110 lbs

Inches: I don't measure these

Current Pant size: 4 or 5

My thoughts/feelings: I just want to lose a little bit to get into more ideal shape. Personally, for me, what works is regular exercise and portion control. And cutting out snacks. When I have it, my will power is strong. But I don't always have it.
I think if I just did a lot more exercise (I'm not doing it right now at all!!), I'd be close to my goal.

What exercise do I do? I have the Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred dvd which I like a lot. It packs a lot into 30 minutes. The bad news is that I've only followed it for like a week.
The other exercises I like to do, when I get the urge to exercise, are simple things like crunches and wall push-ups. these target my problem areas-- the triceps and my tummy. I do a few simple yoga poses to tone sometimes too.

I also don't usually weigh myself, although I'm using it here as a more concrete goalpost. I go by how I feel or look, or how my clothes fit me.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

ETA: I think I need to put a disclaimer on this: I hope this thread doesn't turn into a debate about what you should and shouldn't eat to lose weight. I feel like almost everyone disagrees on this issue, even some doctors and nutritionists. I think the most important thing is to research things yourself and make decisions by yourself and not based on what has helped someone else because what may help one person will not help another and could actually cause harm. That was one reason why I was feeling a bit reluctant to write much on this thread but...hopefully it will not go the wrong way especially when it goes into depression and emotional eating. These things are serious and even considered eating disorders in extreme cases.
That is not what I want for this thread either. My hopes are: support, others to feel not alone, not to be critized for being heavy, to share other stories and how we are trying to lose weight, find out what works for us, etc.

As well as posting tips, low fat/healthy meal ideas...exercise tips... I would love some for myself based on my health issues.

This thread is NOT about whether you agree or disagree with the method a person is trying to lose weight with, negative comments like "why don't you get up off your butt and do something" are NOT appropriate (especially when there are disabled people trying to lose weight that cannot do alot of physical activities)

I HOPE that this thread can be positive for anyone who choses to post in it.

please, I do hope you will continue to post....for yourself and for the benefit of others

Originally Posted by SwampWitch

I don't understand, Snake Lady, I looked through the pictures thread and you look fantastic! With two kids, too! (I thought it was you, my apologies if I got the name mixed up!)
Most of the pics I've posted are not recent.... it has been since Nov. that I've gone up to 207lbs. I think most of my pics are from when I was 180 or under.

Also, noone believes me when I tell them what I weigh. I don't carry the weight badly as far as physical looks when clothed....now in a bathing suit, I would look my weight. But for the most part, I hide my weight pretty good.... except I feel it (sore hips, knees, etc. when I'm above 180)

For my height, a healthy BMI would put me at 149lbs. (that would give me a BMI of high normal weight) My goal is 165 because that is what looks good on me. I know I will never be 140 again, and honestly I don't think it would suit me now.

I lost 25 lbs. a year ago and gained 7 lbs. back. It is incredibly difficult for me to lose weight... I have several chronic diseases working against me, in addition to menopause (I just turned 50). I eat whole foods, nothing refined (no sugar or flour); nothing packaged; no artificial colors, sweeteners, or flavors. Yucky.

With the exception of non-fat milk and yogurt, basically if you can't rinse or wash it, I don't eat it! I also do 20 minutes of yoga five days a week. I would like to lose more but if it doesn't happen, that's okay too.

Good idea for a thread!
I do understand the chronic diseases working against you. Which is part of the reason I want to get my weight under control now, rather than when I'm 10yrs older and find it harder to lose weight.

re: Yoga.... I really don't know a whole lot about it aside from its supposed to help relax you.

Do you do it at home? From a video or a book? I thought it was mostly stretching, which is why I didn't really investigate it.... but does it help with weight loss and strengthening?

Do you have any tips on where to start? I will definately be investigating yoga tho and seeing if its something I could do in my current situation.

zephyer78

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Great thread..I got on the computer to research some healty esting things, checked this site first and found this thread! cool how thing work sometimes. so my stats as far as I know

Height:5'3

weight,starting was 167, now about 155

BMI : Wii fit says 29 but I'm hoping some of that is mucle mass!

Goal Weight:115

So what I am doing is lots of exercise, I do a cardio weight training dvd and then work out with free weights for 20 min on one day, than on the other day I do a hard just cardio work out dvd. I also try to do some yoga a few times a week. I take a Sat or Sun off from exercizing and don't do anything. I've been doing the exercises for about 6 weks now and definitly notice a diffrence...NOT a huge diffrence, but my belly roll is smaller and I can see some definition in my arms and thighs now. Oh about yoga.. I love it, idk how much it really does for weight loss, but the mind/body benifits are great. It does give you long lean mucle tone, but even more so it makes you feel so good, and you feel good about your body,..therefore don't eat as much junk food..so you lose weight...thats.. how it is for me ne way.

OK food is a whole diffrent story. All of the thing I have read say to eat a healthy breakfast so I try to do that. My problem is that I love food, not cake and chips, but cheese and tacos and pizza..I guess I have just got to stop eating so much
easier said than done! The best tips I have for that are to drink LOTS of water. and I found that if I am really craving something cheesy I can get a can of chedder soup, I know its not the healthist thing, but it is only 200 calories and takes care of the craving..beats blowing 1000 calories at taco bell...
sorry for such a book! I hope this thread keeps going...

zephyer78

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
sorry about the double post..Snake lady I got so caught up in my story I forgot to respond to your questions!
, I'm not a health professional or anything, but I have been doing yoga for quite a while..there are definatly some poses you can do at your current level of movement. can I ask youif you can stand for a short period of time? if so you may want to try tree pose..all it is is you stand with your feet anchoring downward, stand up as tall as you can and fold your hands in front of your chest in a prayer position. If that is comftorable for you you may want to try a sun salutation...start off in tree pose..slowly raise your arms out to the side and up as high as they will go, slowly lower arms and bend at the waist so you are touching your toes...(or knees
then repeat it. There is a little more to it than that, but I think the first part will help you get some movement/flexibility going. I know they have lots of dvds for beginers so I hope that helps you..good luck!

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Me neither....and I found something at the grocery store yesterday.

Skinny Chips bbq corn chips: one standard soup bowl is 100cals. (think cheezies, that texture) You can eat the bag and its only bout 450cals.... They work for me because I like quantity, as well as flavour and salt. I suck on these and they just squish/disolve in your mouth.

I dunno if u have them in the US though. But if you did, you could eat the whole bag and still have a nice dinner.

(I can take a pic of the bag and info if you want)

Originally Posted by Cat.Ling

Good points! I intend to treat this thread as a suggestions and motivation topic.

I also don't usually weigh myself, although I'm using it here as a more concrete goalpost. I go by how I feel or look, or how my clothes fit me.
I do too, but I also have a number that I think I look good at... but honestly, if I get down to 175 toned, then my goal of 165 is out the window.

Bottom line for me, I want to be healthy and happy with myself. Right now I'm neither.

Originally Posted by zephyer78

OK food is a whole diffrent story. All of the thing I have read say to eat a healthy breakfast so I try to do that. My problem is that I love food, not cake and chips, but cheese and tacos and pizza..I guess I have just got to stop eating so much
easier said than done! The best tips I have for that are to drink LOTS of water. and I found that if I am really craving something cheesy I can get a can of chedder soup, I know its not the healthist thing, but it is only 200 calories and takes care of the craving..beats blowing 1000 calories at taco bell...
sorry for such a book! I hope this thread keeps going...
Welcome. I love cheese, and that attributed to my weight gain in a big way. Cheese shredded on nachos adds up in a hurry.

What I do with cheese is buy the "lite" version and I weigh it. When shredding it, I use the finer side which makes the cheese go furthur. It's not as thick as the normal shredding.

Pizza: I buy store bought ones, and have been buying the thin crust ones...
This one: http://www.thedailyplate.com/nutriti...ach-26mushroom is oh so yummy, and if I want, I can eat the WHOLE pizza at 920cals.

I love food.... but since starting to weigh and measure and count calories, I've discovered how much food I can have....and its alot of food (providing its healthy choices).

Today's lunch:

1/2 pita filled with tuna, dill pickle and mustard: 136cal

sorry about the double post..Snake lady I got so caught up in my story I forgot to respond to your questions!
, I'm not a health professional or anything, but I have been doing yoga for quite a while..there are definatly some poses you can do at your current level of movement. can I ask youif you can stand for a short period of time? if so you may want to try tree pose..all it is is you stand with your feet anchoring downward, stand up as tall as you can and fold your hands in front of your chest in a prayer position. If that is comftorable for you you may want to try a sun salutation...start off in tree pose..slowly raise your arms out to the side and up as high as they will go, slowly lower arms and bend at the waist so you are touching your toes...(or knees
then repeat it. There is a little more to it than that, but I think the first part will help you get some movement/flexibility going. I know they have lots of dvds for beginers so I hope that helps you..good luck!
Thanks, I will google that pose. I have no problems with standing, however I cannot do the hand movement (bending the wrists). But I may be able to alter it to suit me

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady

...I do understand the chronic diseases working against you. Which is part of the reason I want to get my weight under control now, rather than when I'm 10yrs older and find it harder to lose weight.
Amen, sister.

re: Yoga.... I really don't know a whole lot about it aside from its supposed to help relax you.

Do you do it at home? From a video or a book? I thought it was mostly stretching, which is why I didn't really investigate it.... but does it help with weight loss and strengthening?

Do you have any tips on where to start? I will definately be investigating yoga tho and seeing if its something I could do in my current situation.
My doctor and I both believe that the way to go with yoga is with a trained instructor in a classroom setting. That said, I HATE exercise, with the exception of walking, and I have to FORCE myself to exercise. I know I would not go to classes, so I use DVDs and do it at home. I'd rather mop the floors, clean the toilet, or scrub out the litter box than do exercises, BUT yoga is the least offensive of them all, with the most benefits.

Because of my fragile health, I have to give my body top-notch high quality foods and I have to exercise, otherwise I am sick all the time. Yoga has helped me build strength, improve balance, and build smooth (not bulky) muscles. And it's something I can do and there are other positive benefits. 20 minutes a day isn't too much to give ourselves, right? It's not high-energy, which is good because neither am I. But it is challenging, and there are poses you use when starting that give you a break. It does feel good. Other people get other benefits... I'm not sure if it helps me relax... I stress if I don't force myself to do it.

I live in a neighborhood with lots of retirees and very elderly people. They are out and about, walking or hobbling around. They are all either thin or or average-looking weight. There are no extremely-overweight elderly people around here, if there are, they are sitting in the nursing homes.

My focus is more on health and I think then the looking-good part will follow.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

When I first started doing yoga, I was surprised to realize that the downward dog and upward dog were exactly what my physiotherapist was trying to get me to do. I thought she wanted me to do pushups and kind of rejected the idea (did I mention I hate to exercise?), LOL! Yoga has helped with my shoulder injury and back problems.

grogs

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

I encourage, and would greatly appreciate something from you guys.
Greetings. I'm going to assume that you mean 'guys' in the literal sense.

I was blessed (or maybe not) with a fast metabolism as a kid and that, combined with lots of running and sports in high school kept me quite skinny. I think I weighed ~120 lbs (I'm ~6') in high school and I tried hard to gain weight by eating as many as 6 full meals a day. Unfortunately, that habit did not serve me well.

I was still what I would consider 'skinny' during my 4 years of college, and the first half of my 5 years in the Army. It wasn't until I was about 25 that I first noticed that I was putting on weight. With the PT (physical training) I kept it mostly under control, but it's been a slow creep ever since. I got out of the military in 2000 and really appreciated not having to do PT any more. In 2001, I was at about 175 lbs, which I considered to be way too big at the time. I actually went on a diet, started exercising, and managed to lose some weight to 150 and fit into some of my uniforms from college for probably the last time ever.

Since that low of 150, most of the past 7 years have been a slow uphill slide. I remember how upset I was the first time I stepped on the scale and saw 180. When I quit smoking 2 years ago, I was at 190 lbs. I work at a fairly large facility with a health club, so I started going to the gym and using the treadmill or the elliptical machine 2-3 times a week. That slowed the weight gain to a slow creep, but it didn't stop it.

Last Summer, I spent a week away at a conference and because I had a lot of free time at the hotel, I decided I would use the weight machines there in addition to a little time on the elliptical. My thought was, if I couldn't lose the weight, maybe I could redistribute it. So, after I got back, I started using the weight machines in addition to the cardio. The weight kept creeping upwards and I hit a high of about 210 at the beginning of this year.

I injured my Achilles tendon at about that time which, oddly, seems to have helped me out a bit. I had to stop doing the elliptical machine and instead, I had to focus on the weight machines. That change seems to have actually helped. I've lost ~10 lbs since the beginning of the year and not long ago, I saw a 1xx on the scale for the first time in a year and a half. The weights seem to have started working as well and my upper body is getting fairly toned. I still have a bit of a spare tire, so I feel like I'm in a sort of a Robert Mitchum 'in shape, but out of shape' place. At this point, I'd like to get rid of the last of the spare tire and lean up a little more.

Date: 4/29/09
Name: Brandon
Sex: M

Height: 6' / 1.80 m
Current Weight: 200 lbs / 91 kg
BMI: ~28

Goal Weight or BMI: 185-190 (though in theory 180 is the top of my 'healthy' BMI range)
Current Pant size: 36 (was an uncomfortable 36 a couple of months ago, not pretty comfortable)

Goal Pant size: 34

My thoughts/feelings:

For the first time in a couple of years, I'm beginning to feel like I'm getting it under control. It's very frustrating to do the right thing and still keep gaining. Some of the things I've cut back on recently include:

Alcohol: I haven't completely eliminated it, but it's a very rare thing. Just too many empty calories.

Cream and sugar in my coffee: There are almost no calories in a cup of black coffee.

Soda: I limit myself to 1 16 oz bottle per day.

Fast food: If I want a hamburger, I just cook my own. Much leaner quality of meat and much less grease = fewer calories.

Snack suggestions:

Grapes: I really don't know if it's possible to eat enough grapes to get fat since they run through you so quickly.

Cherry tomatoes/carrots: Dip these in a good ranch dressing for a tasty snack.

Honey-Nut Cheerios - When I feel like a sugary late-night snack, I try to grab a bowl of these instead of the cookies.