Ally is not friendly lately

lawguy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She's been very unfriendly lately. Not hissing, but definitely not wanting to be hugged and kissed or held.

She is about 5 and 1/2 months old now. Is this just her becoming a teenager? Will she grow out of it?

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Teenager. Most definitely.

Just give her a little space, she's growing up, is all.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You and your kitties have had a lot going on since you have adopted them. I know that Ally was spayed 2 weeks ago, this could have a lot to do with it. She probably is going through teenage hormonal changes as well as acclimating to being spayed. Also there has been a move, there has been a new kitty introduced, you have recently changed the litter box to an automatic.........Constant change can cause stress, behavior changes, and even health issues. I think you should try and slow down, create a safe, comfortable, regular atmosphere and environment for your fur babies so they can relax and settle in.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jake is not so friendly either lately
He's been bunny kicking me when I try to pet him and just getting annoyed by me! Must be a teenager thing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lawguy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
ok. I'm glad to hear I'm not alone. Ally pushes me away and just really doesn't want to be pet or held.

She and Jake are about the same age, so yeah, I guess it's a cat-teenager thing.

How long should we expect this to last?

lilyluvscats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
All cats are different and go through many stages in their lives. Right now alll 3 of mine are still pretty young( between 1 and 1.5) They are all very sweet and affectionate but all 3 wiggle and squirm if I try to put them on my lap. Not all cats are lap cats.....probably a higher percentage are NOT. Manny will sit on my son's lap only. We don't know why lol. After many years of having cats I've learned some very important things....1. they will do things when they want to do things and 2. never take moments of rejection from them personal. 3.enjoy them for who they are at the time.

lostmary

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lilyluvscats

All cats are different and go through many stages in their lives. Right now alll 3 of mine are still pretty young( between 1 and 1.5) They are all very sweet and affectionate but all 3 wiggle and squirm if I try to put them on my lap. Now all cats are lap cats.....probably a higher percentage are NOT. Manny will sit on my son's lap only. We don't know why lol. After many years of having cats I've learned some very important things....1. they will do things when they want to do things and 2. never take moments of rejection from them personal. 3.enjoy them for who they are at the time.
as a new cat owner, I love your advice. I should cross stitch it and hand it up to remind me that cats are not dogs.

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine go through stages too. I agree with just enjoying them as they are. She'll be cuddly again. Could be spring fever. My cats are hyper alert around this time and are too busy with their own agenda's to be cuddled.

darkmavis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think Genever's going through this lately too. But she's 1.5 years old. Not being UNaffectionate, but not quite so cuddly as before. But maybe it's because we've had her 3 months now and she's getting more comfortable and doesn't feel the need to get snuggled between my boyfriend and i on the couch all the time these days... BF's been taking it personally though, he thinks she doesn't love him anymore because she hasn't been running to greet him at the door when he gets home lately. But I know they go through phases, and they still love us even if they don't get mushy about it all the time.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lola was like that at that age. I think it's a teenager thing. She's coming around though.
She's a little over a year old now and getting a lot more affectionate. She asks to be picked up and snuggled (stands on her back legs and reaches for my waist), but she only wants it for a couple minutes. The funniest is when she does that, gets down, then wants to be picked right up again.

breellablue

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have just gone through this with my Oliver. When she was little she'd cuddle up between my legs, under my laptop when I'd be sitting on the couch with it, she'd sleep with me and be with me all the time. Then one day-- nothing. She actually spent more time in the upstairs apartment (my boyfriend's mother's house) than she would downstairs in my apartment! This persisted for about 4-5 months. Recently she's started coming back into the bedroom and curling up in my lap, which is harder now because she's a long cat.

She has also started hunting, I'm not thrilled about it but if it makes her happy and she's doing the reptile genepool a favor who am I to complain?