Looking for: Low Calorie/Fat snacking ideas...

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yup, I'm kinda in a rush for this one (midpoint during my cycle I become incredibly munchie...love to munch, basically need to munch). But also thought it would be nice to get a list going of foods that are low cal/low fat snacks for reference (for me and anyone else who enjoys snacking).

I crave salt
and enjoy things I can eat a bunch of... meaning I'm not satisfied at having 10 pretzels.... I like quantity.

If you could, list serving size and calories
(if you can't list the cals, I can do that if I have the serving size... I have a book of food analysis...might not be 100% accurate, but its pretty close)

Snack Foods

Microwave popcorn: Orville Redenbacher's Smart Pop 130cal per 1/2 bag
(this is my fav. I don't feel guilty eating a whole bag....260 cal, 4g fat, 12g fibre)

Special K Cereal (original) 110cal per 1 1/4cups (great snack food, but doesn't satisfy my salt cravings LOL.... 0gr fat)

Cheerios 100 cal per 1 cup (2g fat, dietary fibre 3g, soluable fibre 1gr)

Multi Grain cheerios 110cal per 1 cup ( 0-1g fat, 3gr fibre) Love these, just wish they weren't so expensive

will add more later.

If anyone is interested, I'll be making an document with all snack ideas listed in a nicer format, and I'd be happy to email it to anyone who wants it.

The analysis book I have is good, but I want "snacks" all on one page, just more convienent than searching through the book for grains, then veggies, then whatever... and where I can, I put the nutritional info from the actual product instead of the book because of the variances. ( I believe the book is from 88...I'm actually gonna check for a new one).

This is invaluable because it helps soooo much with portion control (for me anyways)

so yah, please help with the snack list if you can.... and anyone who would like copies emailed to them, just pm me and I'll send em off when done.

Thanks for any contributations

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Microwave popcorn: Orville Redenbacher's Smart Pop 130cal per 1/2 bag

I'm gonna have to start eating that!!

I snack on a lot of 100 calorie pack foods. I love the cheetos puffs in the 100 calorie packs. And another one of my favorite low fat and low calorie food
I don't have a bag of it around at the moment so I can't really tell you all of the details on fat and sodium content but the calories are 70 calories for 9 mini cakes,

This is the quaker version of something similar:

My favorite ones are the cheddar cheese flavor and the sour cream and onion. Aldi also has their own version of these, it's called fit and active.
This is mostly what I snack on because I love salty foods and these are salty but not fatty and perfect for me.

tari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For a sweet tooth...the fat free, sugar free pudding is a lifesaver! I highly recommend the chocolate fudge flavor!

lil maggie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Tari

For a sweet tooth...the fat free, sugar free pudding is a lifesaver! I highly recommend the chocolate fudge flavor!
I agree! I just had some last night! The chocolate fudge is the best
Fat free/sugar free of course

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Veggies are good!

I snack on snap peas and celery and mini carrots.

I have heard that there is quite a bit of salt in celery.

I also like to snack on walnuts and hazelnuts. They have fat, but it is a good type of fat - compared to Cheetos or something like that.

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i like celery dipped in peanut butter.

Dried fruit

make up your own dipping sauce with low fat philadelphia with herbs and stuff and chop up heaps of veggies and just dig in!

hand fulls of nuts, a lot of them i find salty.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I snack on veggies too, but they don't do anything for my salt cravings LOL.

While I was out, I was looking for ideas. I found alot of those 100cal packs to be too little (not many pieces) and I'm not kidding when I say I like to munch.

The big bags of popcorn are great.... lots of quantity, and only 260 for the entire bag.

Dill pickles are good. Most are 5cal per pickle... I'll slice em up, so I can "munch".

SKINNY CHIPS (bbq corn chips) 200cal per 50gr portion ( 5g fat)for reference, 25gr. is a standard soup bowl filled even.... these chips are so light in weight, that you can have a whole bowl full for only 100cal.

I really really like these. The grocery store had em marked down because they expire next month. I picked up 3 bags, and am going to go back tomorrow and get some more if there's any left. I'll put them in 100cal bags

kittybernard

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ut0pia

This is the quaker version of something similar:

My favorite ones are the cheddar cheese flavor and the sour cream and onion.
I second the microwave popcorn suggestion! There's a lot and it lasts.. perfect for us munchers!
I am addicted to the apple cinnamon Quaker Quakes! Yum! Problem for me is that there are only about 8 cakes for one serving of 70 calories.

I've had to stop buying them though. I was eating so many that I canceled out the 'healthy' part of it!

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady

SKINNY CHIPS (bbq corn chips) 200cal per 50gr portion ( 5g fat)for reference, 25gr. is a standard soup bowl filled even.... these chips are so light in weight, that you can have a whole bowl full for only 100cal.
I think you suggested those in the other thread too and I definitely have to shop around for those!! I barely look at what's available but discovering a new food that I deem good for my diet usually has great results with me initially until I start to eat too much of it ...Then I move on to something else. I think this is very low calorie though!
Lol this thread makes me hungry...I just also saw fat free yogurt being suggested and now I crave frozen yogurt treats...

But it's okay, it's all healthy food so it should be fine! I think I'm going to get some either 100 calorie ice cream bars or some frozen yogurt tomorrow, the summer is coming fast and it's in the 90s here in Atlanta.

Originally Posted by kittybernard

I am addicted to the apple cinnamon Quaker Quakes! Yum! Problem for me is that there are only about 8 cakes for one serving of 70 calories.

I've had to stop buying them though. I was eating so many that I canceled out the 'healthy' part of it!
The same thing is happening to me lately...That's why I think I need to stay off of them for a while and then rediscover them one day lol

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It isn't about low calorie or low fat for me, it is about portion size and real natural satisfying foods that are good for my body. I don't like processed foods for anything, much less to mindlessly snack.

I make popcorn with small amounts of healthy oil (and you can spice it up in all ways, real cheeses, garlic sea salt, honey, real butter, etc.)
Fresh fruits - can be dipped in organic yogurt with dried coconut flakes and nuts)
Dried fruits
fresh veggies - can make yogurt dips and hummas dips, or dipped in real peanut butter (not the transfat and high fructose corn syrup types)
Roasted veggies
Steamed veggies
small salads - egg and avocado make this a good snack for me
organic cottage cheese with nuts
Fresh baby tomatoes make a good snack all their own with a little pepper
Frozen fruits, like frozen cherries plain or make a smoothie
nuts can be a great stand alone snack, keep them in the freezer so they last longer
Organic yogurt
Small chunks of good high quality cheese
Half a grilled cheese on whole wheat
Whole wheat tortillas with black beans and some cheese and onion
boiled egg
miso soup
sushi rolls
rice balls
brown rice
spring rolls, homemade, easy, and healthy
A can of tuna fish
pickles
lettuce roll ups, make a sandwich, use lettuce instead of bread
organic peanut butter sandwich, half, with a tiny bit of local honey on whole wheat
English muffin whole wheat
veggie omelet, heavy on the veggies
fresh spinach salad with strawberries and a tiny bit of oil and vinegar dressing
These are some of my ideas off the top of my head.

mycherona

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i agree with the baby carrots! i think they are super good when i just want to munch on something and it needs to be crunchy....if you need salt, maybe sprinkle some on the carrots? also, i like to dip baby carrots in hummus, which actually is pretty good for you in terms of fat/calories (can't remember exact numbers) - my fav is the roasted red pepper kind.