question about litter

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does anyone use that Arm and Hammer Essentials and if so, how do you like it?
I have 6 cats and am currently looking for a new litter, happened to see it on the shelf at Wally world and was just wondering how it compared to the others.
Does it have a strong perfume odor? how does it clump? How long does it last? Things of that sort..
Thanks for your help!!

mybabies

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It has a smell sort of between vicks vapo rub and and citrus. My Panther loved it and no dust but it made ME cough.

HOw about Tidy Cats Breathe Easy?

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is it called "Breathe Easy" because of the lack of dust, or because of its scent?

Barb, I'm not familiar with the Arm & Hammer Essentials. We used an Arm & Hamer product before, and it had so much dust we were all choking.

We've been using Tidy Cats cyrstals blends - but either it's gotten dustier or I've gotten more sensitive. It clumps great. We've got seven cats using three litterboxes, and I scoop 2x - 3x a day. We add litter to each box every 3 - 4 days, and we change it out completely every month (but I don't think you'd have to, actually - seems like it'd keep going). But I can't take it any more - so much dust! I think it's just that we are in such a small, confined space now, I notice it more.

If anyone's got input on a low dust litter... ???????????

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
The least dusty one I've found so far is the Walmart Special Kitty, in the green box. Very little dust, unscented, doesn't track nearly as much as TidyCats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks! I just thought it looked like something worth trying because it was made of corn and was a little cheaper then the Tidy Cats we have been using.
Also I thought that since the Tidy cats has so much dust that this new one might not have much dust since it was made with corn. I'm still thinking about trying it but now I'm not sure. Still on the fence with this one.....

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, the corn and wheat litters are better for everyone - environment (home and garbage dump), us, and kitties. But we found the corn attracted ants (don't know if that's a problem where you are), and the wheat didn't have such great odor control.

I just wanted to check back in to say THANK YOU to GoldyCat for the recommendation, because we've made the switch, and we are all loving the Special Kitty litter. There is like almost no dust!

Laurie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

Well, the corn and wheat litters are better for everyone - environment (home and garbage dump), us, and kitties. But we found the corn attracted ants (don't know if that's a problem where you are), and the wheat didn't have such great odor control.

I just wanted to check back in to say THANK YOU to GoldyCat for the recommendation, because we've made the switch, and we are all loving the Special Kitty litter. There is like almost no dust!

Laurie
Does the Special Kitty clump like Tidy cat litter does??

shanynne

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I use Nature's Miracle. It clumps well and is 100% flushable. No dust and odor control is not bad. What I love is that it's completely natural so no clay for kitty to lick when cleaning themselves. Also you just need to change it out completely about once every 1 to 1/2 months.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jugen

Does the Special Kitty clump like Tidy cat litter does??
I haven't used Tidy cat but I've just started experimenting with Special Kitty. Clumping is important to me. I've been trying to find a less expensive alternative to World's Best which clumps great but is very expensive. Special Kitty clumps great also. Better even than WB *except* that the clumps are bigger; that is the clumps use more litter so every time you scoop you take out and dispose of more litter than you would with WB. I'm still evaluating the relative cost of the two. Special Kitty appears cheaper up front but it weighs more so you need more by weight to equal the same amount volume wise of WB. Also with the larger clump size I wouldn't expect the SK to last as long as WB. I expect the SK will still turn out to be cheaper but not by as much as it appears just looking at the package prices.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
In comparison to the Tidy Cats we were using, it clumps harder, actually (if I drop it from the scoop while moving across the box it doesn't break apart, and the Tidy Cats usually does
) and it doesn't seem to me to be bigger clumps. So it's definitely less expensive to use than the Tidy Cats. I wasn't particularly paying attention, but I'm pretty sure I'm adding it at the same rate (or maybe even a little less) than with the Tidy Cats.

No dust with the Nature's Miracle? Hmmmm........ I would prefer not to use clay/silica based stuff.

Laurie

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
TidyCats clumped well for me. The problem I had with it is that it's lighter and has little beads that get scattered all over the house. The kitties also show a definite preference for the sand texture over beads/crystals.