If you could instantly be fluent in another language....

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
what would it be?

For my area Portuguese would be the best, but Spanish would be probably be better overall.

zorana_dragonky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would love to be instantly fluent in Spanish. There are a lot of local job advertisements for administrative type positions that really want bilingual people (especially administrative positions at the hospital or doctor's offices). Unfortunately, I can't speak Spanish.

kscatlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would choose Italian. I don't know why, except I used to work and an Italian restaurant and the owners would always speak to each in Italian so I heard it a lot.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd say Spanish would be nice but I'd rather know an Asian language like Japaneese.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
In terms of practicality I would say Spanish would be the best one to know. I don't know why but I have always wanted to know Hebrew.

cats4sky

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hindi- its a beautiful language, ive been trying to learn it on my own and also with the help of some friends for years. If one of the colleges by me offered it id so take advantage of it.

grogs

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Mandarin Chinese. It just seems like the most practical language from a global standpoint since so many people speak it. China is going to become more and more important on the world stage in the next few decades, so it seems like it might be a useful language to know.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
French - it would increase my earning potential considerably. Naturally, once you learn French, Italian, Spanish and Portuguese would be very easy to pick up.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'd say Spanish
back in High school my goal was to become bi-lingual. yeah, that didn't happen

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've always wanted to learn German, but also French and Italian. I've dabbled in each but not enough to be worth anything.

I played with the Rosetta Stone disc for French and that program really does work, but I never stuck with it. I say it works because I only played around with it for about a week and a year and a half later I can still remember everything I learned on it. If I got the German Rosetta Stone I'd probably stick with it.

monaxlisa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think I'd pick Russian because it's said to be so difficult to learn and I'd like to go to Russia one day! Otherwise I'd pick Italian, but I know if I put my mind to it I can learn it so I might as well pick the tricky one

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Italian, I LOVE the language, but it would probably be more useful to be fluent in Spanish here.

There are a lot of Hispanics that come into Rob's work but have trouble communicating what they need.

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So many to pick from... Russian would be one of my picks. But as I was thinking about it (and reading responses) I realized Gaelic would be very cool as well. I also want to learn Latin... of course, neither Gaelic or Latin would practical, but I have a thing for the 'dead or dying' languages...

forensic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ASL. Because... er... it's pretty, quite honestly.

Or German, if it had to be spoken, because some day I want to move to Germany or Switzerland or something like that.

Maybe Japanese, but I could get by with just a smattering if I went to visit, I think.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AbbysMom

what would it be?

For my area Portuguese would be the best, but Spanish would be probably be better overall.
Persian (Farsi). Then I would know what my sister-in-laws and brother-in-laws and nephews and nieces and uncles and aunts are saying about me!!
Oh yeah, and I'd know what DW is saying when she is talking about me.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd have to pick Mandarin as well, simply because it is extremely hard (I'll never be able to pick that one up) and because of it's use. After that I'd like to be fluent in Japanese (can already read quite a bit of it... but it's fading) and maybe Swedish. Finnish would be neat, too.

If I were to apply myself I could learn more Japanese, relearn Spanish, and probably pick Swedish up since it seems simple enough. It's just a matter of procrastination....