Where do you go for advice?

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
A friend and I were just having this conversation yesterday. If you need advice on something, where do you go?

If it is a personal matter, I turn to my husband and friends.

If it isn't, I will google for information and possibly start a thread here.

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I always look for have "cold" the head , sometimes in the precise moment of the situation sometimes we act with the "liver" or without the head...

When is a hard situation, ask for my parents her advice, BUT alway take the desicion talking with my wife, no matter goes otherside of the advices.............

When Is a live situation ( problems with relatives ) I usually take advice of the priest of my church,........not confesion just only ask about his point of view.........

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It depends on what kind of advice I'm looking for. If it's general how-to advice I use google. If it's more personal/relationsip oriented then I try to work it out myself and if I can't then I usually turn to my husband of dad... and occasionally my mom. If it's work related I go to a specific friend.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I honestly don't think I ask for advice very much
I'm a total decision-maker, I make the decision and do it, i don't tend to think about things too much
that sounds bad
If it's info I need, I'll look it up on the internet, if i need to gripe about a decision I made, it's usually to my mom

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CoolCat

I always look for have "cold" the head , sometimes in the precise moment of the situation sometimes we act with the "liver" or without the head...

When is a hard situation, ask for my parents her advice, BUT alway take the desicion talking with my wife, no matter goes otherside of the advices....
We call that "going with the gut" or gut instinct in English, if that's the word you're looking for. ( I know dictionaries can make translations a little weird if you were trying to look that one up).

My husband, usually. But it takes me a long time to decide on anything and even longer to do it. I have to prepare a mental list of all pros and cons, then try to figure how all possible outcomes I can. So generally I keep my own counsel.

catnurse22

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Definitely my BF. He always has a way of seeing things that my over emotional self can't.

When I'm simply looking for a hug, then my mother. She's just as emotional as me, so when I'm really upset about things, she just gets upset with me,

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katiemae1277

I honestly don't think I ask for advice very much
I'm a total decision-maker, I make the decision and do it, i don't tend to think about things too much
that sounds bad
If it's info I need, I'll look it up on the internet, if i need to gripe about a decision I made, it's usually to my mom
That's pretty much me, except I don't go to my mom.

I don't usually need advice on personal matters.... my life is fairly stable.

Cat advice, I come here. Reptile advice, I go to my reptile boards. Children advice, I ask my neighbour ( her girls are 16, 14 and 12....mine are 12 and 8).

I'm actually trying to think of when the last time I needed advice was. Probally when I was being forced to go to school and it was making my hands worse, so I sought legal advice.

cat.ling

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My husband first. I go to him for everything, except when i'm mad at him.

I google a lot of simple questions I have.

sometimes I will go to my mom, but a lot of the times she comes to me.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Seeing that I'm the go to person for most everyone I know, I turn to myself for advice!

I think it through from all angles first and come to a decision. If I feel I need confirmation that I've made the right choice, because I'm a deeply personal individual, I tend to turn to a forum and post. That way there is a bit of anonymity behind it.

Once I've made a decision I don't turn back. I go for it.

There are times where I'm on the fence about an issue. The latest being about whether to apply for a different job in the hospital I work in. Bouncing it off on people here gave me the sway to make the decision.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady

Cat advice, I come here. Reptile advice, I go to my reptile boards.
Do you have any good reptile forums to suggest that haven't had an influx of kids and immature young adults? That's why I had to stop going to a couple - much the same problem we have on here in the health section sometimes, but worse because most people do not realize that reptiles even need vet care like a cat and dog do.
(One person kept asking why their turtle died - it had a respiratory infection, they didn't want to take it to the vet and the underlying problem was that they weren't giving it any heat! I'm surprised I didn't get banned for telling them they killed their turtle...
)

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I ask anyone and everyone

Most things I decide for myself, but if it's something I'm not sure about, I get as much input as possible before making a decision.

DH is always the first person I ask - he's a very practical person, and I usually talk to my neighbour who is one of my closest friends (she's particularly good for girly questions). We're always saying to each other "here's an odd question for you..."

tari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For personal stuff, always my husband. (Unless it's about him.
) I frequently also go to my two best girlfriends or my mother.

For work stuff, I have a colleague and friend in my department that I frequently turn to. My boss is actually usually pretty great about that kind of thing, too, and I can be pretty candid with her. My girlfriends are another great source, too...one still works here and the other one used to so they know the ins and outs.

lil maggie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

I ask anyone and everyone

Most things I decide for myself, but if it's something I'm not sure about, I get as much input as possible before making a decision.

DH is always the first person I ask - he's a very practical person, and I usually talk to my neighbour who is one of my closest friends (she's particularly good for girly questions). We're always saying to each other "here's an odd question for you..."
if I'm out and don't know anyone and have questions, I'll just ask any poor soul that might answer

Normally I decide things myself but more personal things I will ask my mom.

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would have to say I am pretty much an independent thinker when it comes to most situations. I may ask my family for opinions or ideas, but more often then not I generally make decisions with very little input from other people.

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I rarely ask for advice. But I will bounce my own ideas off Rob or my grandma and listen to their input on something I might be dealing with.