Diarrhea question

lovemykitty3

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My 7 month old kitten has been having some diarrhea off an on since we got him a few weeks ago and we're trying to figure out the cause. Canned food seems to bother him so we've been sticking with only dry. He did sneak some of the other cat's wet food a couple times in the last week. He's been on an antibiotic (Clavamox) since last Thursday. He was wormed twice before we got him and once since. His stool was tested last Tuesday and the vet said he didn't have worms. He was also give a dose of Revolution. Today I noticed a tiny little cream colored streak (like 1/4" inch long at the most) on one of his back legs, near his rear and it almost looked like it was moving. About the size of a grain of rice. Could he have worms and it be causing diarrhea or could it be the Clavamox or something else? He's eating well and seems otherwise just fine.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It could be all of the above... did the vet worm him??or did you get something OTC

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lovemykitty3

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He was wormed by a vet twice before I got him, then the vet I take him to gave him a worm treatment in early April because he found mucous in his stool. When I took him to the vet last week, they checked his stool and said it was fine.

catnurse22

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The cream streak sounds like a tapeworm. They're rice shaped and tiny. The dewormer would cause him to pass the worms. When was he dewormed last? It's possible to not see tapeworms in a fecal test. Was the fecal test done in house or did they send it out? It could be possible that he has some internal parasite that a simple microscopic viewing (what they would do in house) could not detect. If the diarrhea continues I'd request they send out a fecal for more rigorous testing.

lovemykitty3

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CatNurse22

The cream streak sounds like a tapeworm. They're rice shaped and tiny. The dewormer would cause him to pass the worms. When was he dewormed last? It's possible to not see tapeworms in a fecal test. Was the fecal test done in house or did they send it out? It could be possible that he has some internal parasite that a simple microscopic viewing (what they would do in house) could not detect. If the diarrhea continues I'd request they send out a fecal for more rigorous testing.
He was dewormed on April 7th. His stool was tested at the vet's office last Tuesday and said to be okay.

lovemykitty3

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think it must be tapeworms. I found another thing that looked like a slimy grain of rice on his lower tail and pulled it off with a kleenex (yuk!!!!!!) to look at it closer and it was definitely a little worm. I looked up pics on google and they do look like tapeworm segments. Does this mean his 3 wormings didn't work or they're still being passed and this is normal? Or is it a different medication he needs for tapeworms? Can my other cat get these since they share water and litter boxes?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by lovemykitty3

I think it must be tapeworms. I found another thing that looked like a slimy grain of rice on his lower tail and pulled it off with a kleenex (yuk!!!!!!) to look at it closer and it was definitely a little worm. I looked up pics on google and they do look like tapeworm segments. Does this mean his 3 wormings didn't work or they're still being passed and this is normal? Or is it a different medication he needs for tapeworms? Can my other cat get these since they share water and litter boxes?
there are many kinds of tape worms not all wormer s cover all of them