Opinions on Nutro Max Cat indoor adult.

mycatprince

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was looking for a good quality food for the price and Pets Mart employees recommend Nutro Max Cat indoor adult. What do you think?

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't care for indoor formulas unless the cat has weight issues.
The last time I tried an indoor, my healthy weight cats got incredibly skinny.

I use regular Max cat adult though and I've had great results, I feed Max to my dog as well.
It's a pretty good food for the money, though I prefer Nutro Natural to Max, the cost of Natural just got far too high for me.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mycatprince

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by Arlyn

I don't care for indoor formulas unless the cat has weight issues.
The last time I tried an indoor, my healthy weight cats got incredibly skinny.

I use regular Max cat adult though and I've had great results, I feed Max to my dog as well.
It's a pretty good food for the money, though I prefer Nutro Natural to Max, the cost of Natural just got far too high for me.
I have to switch foods because Royal Canin indoor adult is just too damn expensive. My local PetsMart highly suggested Nutro Max Cat indoor and it's half the price and still decent quality. At least that's what they said. Thanks for your opinion.

ckblv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think we all need to do our own research on healthy foods for our pets.

I have to admit I know more about good dog food than cat food. I am feeding Mercedes Nutro Max Cat Adult because that is what all the cats at the Humane Society, where I adopted her from, eat.

I got her some good Newman's Organic and mixed it in and she picks through it and flings the Newman's out of her bowl.

I think Iams is crummy food, yucko. Purina, yucko again.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by ckblv

I think we all need to do our own research on healthy foods for our pets.

I have to admit I know more about good dog food than cat food. I am feeding Mercedes Nutro Max Cat Adult because that is what all the cats at the Humane Society, where I adopted her from, eat.

I got her some good Newman's Organic and mixed it in and she picks through it and flings the Newman's out of her bowl.

I think Iams is crummy food, yucko. Purina, yucko again.
I agree we all should research , what I think is fine another may think is horrible ..

IMHO Max is a solid entry to mid grade premium ... Others in this group IMHO Solid gold , Natural balance( the reg) , Natural choice ( a touch higher since it is a two meat one grain normally) , Premium edge and Chicken soup

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feed my three the nutro max. I have tried the indoor but don't like it as much as the regular adult variety. Their coats look better on the regular adult vs. the indoor. They love it and I can usually get the big one on sale for 4 bucks cheaper at petsmart. They always have a sale on that stuff.

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm still feeding my 1.2 year old cats nutro max kitten

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
2 of my cats have been fed Nutro in the past. Mattie used to eat Nutro Natural Indoor and Chloe used to eat the Nutro Natural Complete Kitten (or sometimes I bought the Nutro Natural Indoor Kitten for her).

I think that it's your best bet if you want something less expensive and something available at PetSmart. There is also Authority, which is the Petsmart store brand and if I remember correctly, the ingredients are similar to Nutro but it's cheaper.

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What is a good brand at petco that's similar to nutro? I don't have a petsmart near me

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by fastnoc

What is a good brand at petco that's similar to nutro? I don't have a petsmart near me
none... Authority is similar to Max only grainier and now really not much cheaper

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What do you guys consider expensive? I've been paying 36 bucks for a 16 pound bag of nutro max kitten.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

What do you guys consider expensive? I've been paying 36 bucks for a 16 pound bag of nutro max kitten.
try a feed store ie a store that sells farm supplies or horse food.. here at the feed store that bag is 28-32 $

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i think the problem is I can't find it locally. I've been having to order it from pet foods direct. The shipping is nearly 20 bucks

I'll check out some farm stores, never thought of that. Thanks for the tip!

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Try Natural Balance Ultra. It's at Petco, it's all-life-stages, and is higher in calories per cup than Nutro so you wouldn't have to feed as much. It's about $28 for a 15 lb. bag. I think the ingredients are a bit better than Nutro anyway.

I used this food for both Chloe and Henry when they were done with kitten food. Chloe started eating it at 11 months and Henry started eating it at 8 months.