do they get mad at us?

silly_ goose

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
lately i havent been home very much, and right now im living with my parents. im moving in about 2 weeks so ill be able to come home to my cats all the time.. most of the time when i dont come home its because im staying with a girlfriend doing school work, which shes the girl im moving in with in 2 weeks.
well i ask if they get mad because they dont really come to me like they use to. they seem to be more lovey with my parents than me, which my parents of course always go home to their house. i feel bad because i dont want them to think i dont love them, ya know? when i finally move ill be able to spend more time with them and be around them a lot more.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sure they do, but cats tend to forget things rather quickly. (mad one minute and over it five minutes later)

The answer is simple here, you're just simply not around them enough lately. They've bonded closer to your parents. Another thing that greatly affects this is who feeds the cats. Since your parents are the ones doing the feeding it's only logical the cats "love" them more lately.
Start being around for more feedings, particularly any wet food feedings and find some nice healthy cat treats. Be the only one to give them those treats.

Positive reinforcement works wonders with cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

silly_ goose

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
yeah... well actually i am the one that feeds them. their food is in my room, and then for the other cats there is a feeder in the laundry room. so when im not there to feed them, they go there to get food. i do need to get them a bigger litter box

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hm, maybe adding in more treats and playtime then? If you're there everyday to feed them they shouldn't be that much less friendly with you.

As for the litter box - look at rubbermaid containers. More size options and cheaper.

silly_ goose

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
rubbermaid cat boxes or just big containers?? mine are about a year old. one is twice the size of the other. my orange one is petite or something.. WAY tiny. whenever im home they sleep with me. the other day i got home peaches wasnt happy with me.. as soon as i stepped out of the car she just meowed over and over and she didnt come up to greet me so i know that it wasnt a "hello i missed you today" it seemed more like "where the hell have you been mommy!?"

im so silly i know.. but they are like my children

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by silly_ goose

im so silly i know.. but they are like my children
You're not silly (or at least no more than the rest of us!
). We all feel that way about our pets.

Rubbermaid storage containers. Some people cut holes in the sides (I do it this way), some in the lids, and other's leave the lids off. Pick whatever color and sale you prefer. When picking out size just make sure your larger cat can turn around easily.
Also look at the bottom of the container, make sure there's no smaller sections that make it harder to scoop.
You can always try various litter boxes, too, but I've always found that they weren't quite large enough to suit a large cat who doesn't watch where he's stepping... and over priced.

Since you said they're a year old, that may be why they're not as clingy. Some cats grow out of their kitten cliny-ness completely, others just tone it down some. They still love you, that's all that matters.

snickerdoodle

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, cats do get mad. My Persian gets mad and can stay mad for some time, and sulk. My kitten will stop talking to me if I don't let her "win" games, and she will swat or bite me hard and walk away, and make a point not to look in my direction (everywhere but) for anywhere from a few minutes to hours from then on. Then eventually she'll come back and make up with me. But my Persian? He woke me up one morning yowling and I was so flustered I yelled at him (
) He wouldn't get on my bed with me for past 2 weeks after that. Whenever this happens, they both seem to cling to my mom more than they do me. The Persian will take days at a time where he'd rather hang with mom than me. I think it is just because you have been away so they've grown closer to your parents. But yes they still love you!
And they know you love them, and neither is any less because of this. Don't worry

silly_ goose

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
so lastnight i think they may have have decided to "forgive me"

peaches (my orange one) was cuddling with me the whole night like she use to
and bonnie (black & white one) was making it obvious she wanted my attention. so i feel better. i stayed in lastnight, and i plan on going home tonight after class. peaches is way more clingy than bonnie, bonnie only likes to be held and petted on her call.

anyways, they make rubbermaid that big? ill have to look around for it. why do you cut holes in the side or lid? what would you use that for?

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Holes in the side can allow access for smaller/older cats and in the top (lid) adds privacy and some odor control.

I have a Sterilite brand bin found at WalMart. Mine like it. Just need to remind myself to put enough litter in to weight it so Topaz doesn't tip it over again.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

anyways, they make rubbermaid that big? ill have to look around for it. why do you cut holes in the side or lid? what would you use that for?
They make them big enough to put christmas trees in, and I'm sure I could easily fit in some of the larger ones myself (I'm 5'7" 126lbs).
They're also better for packing items up than cardboard boxes are, so while you're out shopping look for good sales.

Though I believe animals can have some emotions, it's best to never anthropomorphize. It's actually dangerous when people do this! They think "my cat hates me", "my cat is evil", "my cat is purposely peeing on stuff to make me mad" (search the last one in this section, you will find several threads where people think this!) and then punish or get rid of the cat in some way because they're attributing human thoughts to an animal that is not remotely capable of such. Love your cat for being a cat, and try your best to figure out why it does certain things the best you can.

The above poster claiming their cat sulked because they yelled is very likely wrong. Cats are small animals and yelling can be seen as a threat (cats will always run away if you yell). The cat was scared and took time to regain it's trust in you and know it was allowed in your territory (the bed) again.

silly_ goose

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
ahhh... can you possibly post up a picture? or send one in a private message? i want to be sure i understand what your talking about with this rubbermaid thing. i tend to get confused easily

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

ahhh... can you possibly post up a picture? or send one in a private message? i want to be sure i understand what your talking about with this rubbermaid thing. i tend to get confused easily
Very basic blue rubbermaid storage bin. They come in many different colors and sizes.
I use two of that exact same size and color and a clear one.

I'd direct you to rubbermaid's site but it doesn't seem to be working?

There's really not many things you can't use these containers for. Some people keep fish in them even!

silly_ goose

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
hmmm. thats interesting. i would have never thought of that. what do you cut a whole with... since that plastic is pretty sturdy.. right?

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That particular one in the picture is soft enough that I could cut it with an utility knife (box knife). I had to carefully score it twice then the blade went through on the third time. Other, harder brittle plastics, work better if you have something like a dremel tool to cut them. You can use the same method I did with the more brittle plastics but you must be very careful.

Your other option is getting a shorter box, like a sweater box type, and just use it like a regular litter box. These tend to have higher sides than a litter box for a cat does and helps if you have an avid litter flinger.

I always seem to have a litter flinger around, so between that and having a large cat I gave up on normal cat litter boxes.

silly_ goose

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
what does score it do? like melting it or something?

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

what does score it do? like melting it or something?
Score, in this sense, means to "to make notches, cuts, marks, or lines in or on." In this case it means you're not cutting all the way through at once. If you were to attempt to put that much force on a knife blade you could snap the blade or accidentally slip.
Less is more, go slowly. A little at a time then the blade has a groove to follow and not as much to cut through at once.

If you don't feel comfortable doing this, ask someone for help. Your father, maybe? Or a friend.