kitten breed??

cattypolly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
??? ??? Hi all, I got these two kittens from a couple who rescued them from a busy highway - by the looks of things, they were abandoned at the roadside by a family with small children (the longhair has a chunk of fur missing, looks scissored). They are quite feral and hiss at humans but have come good in the last few days or so.

My question is - what sort of mix could they be? The long hair has ear tufts and a very interesting body shape. Her facial markings are unique as well - she has mascara, white lines under the mascara, and more tabby markings underneath - which makes her look somewhat exotic. Her sister is a DSH calico tabby.

Let me know what you think.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She IS a cutie pie!
She's a mixed breed - domestic longhair. Color is Brown Classic Tabby/White.

Since she will be long hair, its best to start a grooming routine with combing a few times a week so she's used to being combed. Depending on how quickly she mats when full grown - you may need to comb every day or every other day.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

She IS a cutie pie!
She's a mixed breed - domestic longhair. Color is Brown Classic Tabby/White.

Since she will be long hair, its best to start a grooming routine with combing a few times a week so she's used to being combed. Depending on how quickly she mats when full grown - you may need to comb every day or every other day.
You sure on her color?
I see a very large patch of red on her rump.
I think she's a calico/white or patched tabby.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I believe its the lighting and not actual coat color. I was thinking that, but then decided it was the lighting in the bathroom. Some other pictures would probably clarify that.

If it truly is red in the coat then she would be a Brown Patched Tabby/White.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They are thumbnails, just click on them, there is also a lot of red on her face.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
hehe I agree some better pics would clarify, with them not in front of the laptop.

They are cute little stinkers.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cattypolly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
as requested:

Theres a huge chunk of fur missing from the base of her tail (the red bit of her rump), like its been cut with scissors, so I think her tail is supposed to be bushier.

She's got funny bendy whiskers as well... instead of sticking sideways, they curve frontwards... like antennae...

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That last pic is HUGE!!!
The longhair is definitely a patched tabby, the shorthair though is strange, her head says calico, her body says tortoise shell and white lol

But my God they are just so cute

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok the one is a Brown Patched Tabby/White. I agree on the shorthair - a little weird in color pattern. But she probably would be classified as a Tortie & White.

I would show both of them in the HHP classes - be interesting to hear what the judges would say about the shorthair's color pattern

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my goodness!!!!! WHERE is the CUTENESS WARNING!!!???

I'm no expert but I would say brown patched tabby (long haired) and an absolutely stunning calico for the other. The DLH could have some purebred in her, but there is no way to say for sure.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cattypolly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The stunning calico is going to a great home when she reaches 12 weeks of age. She is already crazy independent, and is the ringleader when it comes to teaching the DLH new ways to cause havoc and drive mommy mad. I caught them playing 'toss the paper balls outside the garbage can' and playing soccer with the trash... crazy kits.

I don't know if I should keep the long hair, it is difficult enough to part with one kitty once you've bonded and she is such a character too! (the dsh)

The lady was looking for a calico for her mom whose cat's just passed away. I figured that she will be well looked after with lots of hugs and affection. My house has a dog - she probably prefers a dog-less house.

will suggest showing her in a pet show to the new owner. thanks guys!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Those who show classify a true calico as a white cat with patches of black and red in the coat. Otherwise its a Tortie and White if its more color then white.

I call the shorthair a Tortie & White rather then a calico.