Cpt Jack Sparrow's first ACFA show

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LONNNNNNNNNNNNNNG show (10 rings) and Jackie was out the entire way home last night. I know you guys will "kill" me, but we didn't take pictures cause we got a new camera and are still trying to play with it to get the pictures right. Sorry about that.

Jackie was fine in the rings - he would show off walking around in the cage and was a chatterbox (but has a very high tiny voice so you can't really hear him even when he's talking).

However, he was not sure once on the table and wanted to take off to get the stuff on the sides. So the judges were afraid to let go to try and get him to play with toys. But he seemed to get a little better over the 2 days of showing.

He did manage to get ONE final (8th Best Allbred Kitten) and 3 judges mentioned him in their "runner up" list of considerations for finals - so I count them as 3 honorable mentions

It was very tough competition - in the longhairs the Maine Coons could have their own finals! 17 MC kittens, 15 MC adults and 15 MC alters - about a third of the total cats were in the MC classes! So you were lucky to get something.

FerrisCat's friend with the Turkish Vans (got to meet her in person) did pretty well - got a few finals. The TV's were pretty - never really got to meet them in person - nice cats. They do resemble the Turkish Angoras a little but not as fuffy (as kittens - not sure how much coat as adults).

So Jackie is getting used to things slowly. I'm sure with 3 kittens shows in May, he will be picking up more finals and getting better on the table for the judges.

ninacaliente

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Glad to hear things went well! I can't wait for the May show - I will be there to see gorgeous little Jack in person!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You talking about the Brooklyn Park show mid-May to attend? Cool.

ninacaliente

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

You talking about the Brooklyn Park show mid-May to attend? Cool.
Yes, the Brooklyn Park show. I'm very excited to attend!

anita1216

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Good job Jack!!!!

Zee will go to his second show on May 9th..Im hoping we do better and there is some naked competition there.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's good that he behaved, good luck at your next shows.

anita1216

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The second show will be May9 in Ann Arbor, MI-his last as a kitten. I likely will not show again until August or September. I just don't have the time and have a ton of plans for this summer.

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's great Martice! I'm glad your boy had a good start.

Not to hijack, but here's how things can go wrong:

I took my girl Red to a show 2 weeks ago in Florida and she had a horrible experience in her very first ring in her first ever show, that has scarred her forever.

She was judged and handled well and was awarded first in color in her division....so far so good. Then another kitten was being judged and totally flipped out for some reason, screamed bloody murder, bit the judge several times and then bit another kitten who had it's paw out when the judge tried to return her to her cage, causing that kitten to scream and flip out. All this commotion made my "nervous at her first ever show, kitten" panic and force her way out of the back of the judging cages, which weren't secured properly. Then, seasoned cat show people started chasing her, until I yelled for them to stop. After I retrieved her, she was so shook up, I had to scratch her from the rest of the show. She went beserk if I tried to take her to another ring.
I'm quite sure that experience has ended any show career for her. Thankfully we have other up and comers!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nial - I've seen that happen. There was a Brit that had a real attitude at the show. She got her sister acting up and I didn't want Jackie to be witnessing this too much, so I held back bringing him up to the ring for as long as possible trying to wait till the judge took care of the two Brit girls.

Finally the owner just pulled her from the last few rings. She apoligized to the rest of us and said "I didn't want her to be upsetting the other kittens". Once she was removed from the rings, the sister was very well behaved and everyone had calmed down.

I love to see when an owner takes a little responsibility to remove a cat who is obviously unhappy that day. Hopefully she will be ok at the next show. If not, I'm sure the owner will just pet her out as she doesn't have the show personality.

ferriscat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Good job, Jack! 10 rings is a lot for a first time, but I'm sure he'll be an old-pro in no time. We'll look forward to pictures from the next show

Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

FerrisCat's friend with the Turkish Vans (got to meet her in person) did pretty well - got a few finals. The TV's were pretty - never really got to meet them in person - nice cats. They do resemble the Turkish Angoras a little but not as fuffy (as kittens - not sure how much coat as adults).
Glad you got to see the boys
Turkish Vans are a slow-maturing semi-longhaired cat, and by definition we don't want to see too much length to the coat. The really fluffy Turkish Van kittens will have too much coat as adults. Especially at this time of the year, the coat is going to be a bit flatter against the body (no undercoat is allowed) but we always want to see the bottle-brush tail.

Angoras, on the other hand, are true longhairs. This is point we always try to make when doing judges seminars. There are also huge differences in boning, profile, and ear set.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't take a real good look (and didn't read the standards) but IMO I like the red/white boy better - which one does Missi like and which one do you like?

ferriscat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If I had to choose today, I'd select the red and white boy, but the blue and white boy is going to have a wonderful coat.