Bad news about Trixie...

rainbow_tic_tac

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
___I don't know if any of you guys remember me, but back in October I joined the site because I'd taken in a stray. She was about ten weeks old at the time. We took her to the vet, got her shots, and found out she was 100% Siamese. We named her Trixie. I stopped posting here after a few months, so I doubt any of you all remember me.

Anyways, about a week ago Trixie got off heat. I'm not sure that's how you phrase it, but you know what I mean. Well, we hadn't gotten her fixed and she hadn't been with a male cat, so when she started acting strange we thought she was depressed. All of the symptoms were there, so we didn't think much of it until a few days ago. She stayed crouched in the floor and on my bed all day, she didn't use her litter box, her tongue was pale, and she was tired all the time. I finally convinced my mom to take her to the vet Saturday morning.

I wasn't thinking anything too horrible would happen. They'd give her a shot, give us some medicine, and she'd be up and at 'em in a few days. I was at my dad's so my mom texted me the entire trip they were there since Trixie was my cat. The news was worse than we thought. Trixie had Feline Leukemia. The vet said it was something she'd been born with and that even if we had caught it sooner there wouldn't have been any hope. "She was practically dead." We had to put her down.

I just wanted to make a note to warn people: get your kittens tested! The loss of a pet if often underestimated. You don't realize just how much you care about them until they're gone.

threecatowner

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am very, very sorry to hear about Trixie. I lost a kitty to that disease in 1985, and I know how painful it is. My thoughts are with you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rainbow_tic_tac

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
___Its hard, especially knowing how much she missed out on. She never even got to experience Summertime. It just seems so weird without her around. And I'm scared to get another one fo fear of having it die so early too.

Anyways, thank you for the support. I appreciate it. c:

spoiled22

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
omg i'm soooo sorry to hear that! I have a new kitten and the thought of losing her really hurts me inside!

2furbabies

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your loss... I will keep you in my prayers today. I can understand your feelings about getting another kitty, but the joy they give us while here is so worth everything else. Give yourself some time, but I have found for me, the fastest way to ease my pain is to get another one. Hang in there....

rainbow_tic_tac

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
___Thank you for all of the support. I know, its kind of pathetic for a sixteen year old girl to get so worked up over a cat- at least that's what my friends think- so its good to know you all understand. I bought her some flowers today and will plant them around her tomorrow. I didn't get to visit her today because I've been at my dad's but I most definitely will tomorrow.

merindah, the cat in your signature looks like an older version of Trixie. She had the same blue eyes and gray ears.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is terrible news about Trixie
It is my belief that one way God gives us treasures is when He gives us kitties. Trixie is playing happily with our other RB kitties, in a wonderful place where it is always spring/summer, where they are given comfort, love & joy, where they await us happily

With every hour of having Trixie, you gained valuable skills and knowledge in what it takes to raise a kitten. Those skills will not go wasted - there are so many other kitties in need, and even though we never replace those that we have lost, for many of us, the only thing that can fill a kitty-shaped emptiness in our hearts is another kitty

I will keep you in my prayers and thoughts during this difficult time

eliana

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by RaInBoW_TiC_tAc

___Thank you for all of the support. I know, its kind of pathetic for a sixteen year old girl to get so worked up over a cat- at least that's what my friends think- so its good to know you all understand. .
Rainbow, it is absolutely not pathetic to "get worked up" over a cat, especially one you raised and loved. It is pathetic to not understand, to ridicule someone, and be so insensitive as those who said that to you. Be glad you had a chance to love Trixie... she was better off for having you in her life. Take care,

Tricia

bmw kitty cat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm soooo sorry for your loss. I had a male kitty who displayed the same symptoms as your Trixie and i had to put him down when i took him in. It was horrible. He had just turned 2. He was a stray my friend's brother found roaming alone when he was about 8 weeks old

rainbow_tic_tac

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BMW Kitty Cat

I'm soooo sorry for your loss. I had a male kitty who displayed the same symptoms as your Trixie and i had to put him down when i took him in. It was horrible. He had just turned 2. He was a stray my friend's brother found roaming alone when he was about 8 weeks old

That's almost the same situation. We found her at 8-10 weeks, but she wasn't even a year old. Its a sad thought that she never got to see what a nice Tennessee Summer day is like.

britt0285

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It is okay to be upset Rainbow. My boyfriend lost a cat to feline leukemia also. He was also a stray that we took in. The vet said their hematocrit levels can drop suddenly causing those symptoms. We had to have him put to sleep also. I cried the whole way home from the vet and most of the night. So don't let anyone make you feel bad for missing your friend.

It is also okay not to want a new cat or kitten right away. When you are ready you will find a friend that is just right for you.

I am sorry for your loss.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry for your loss -and it's only natural you're grieving. Trixie was blessed to have found such a loving heart and home in you and your family. She'll be waiting for you over the bridge, to thank you for your caring for her.

rainbow_tic_tac

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
___Let me ask you all this: Is it weird to feel like she's still here? Its awkward, and I feel ridiculous, but I talk to her all of the time, almost like she's with me. When I water her flowers I talk to her and cry (still). When it was raining earlier I was like "Its OK, Trixie. You'll be safe" and it makes me feel like I've gone insane when its just a gut reaction. Is that normal? Or am I a total freak?

threecatowner

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
As a mom of a 17, 14, and almost 11-year-old, (and a former angst-ridden teenager myself), I think what you describe is absolutely normal for any teenage girl, let alone one who has just lost a precious kitty.

You certainly have the right to grieve any way you choose; if talking to Trixie is what you need to do to get through this, by all means, talk away. I've done the same when I've lost cats.

I know it doesn't seem possible now, but this pain will ease up in time. The wonderful memories of Trixie will never, ever leave you, but one day you will look back and realize the heartache is not the crushing pain that it is right now.

And, I have always believed that we will someday be reunited with our lost, loved, pets. Why else would God allow us to share our lives with them, and be so emotionally invested in them. My opinion, of course.

If you need to cry, cry. It cleanses the soul. Again, you will be in my thoughts and prayers.

rainbow_tic_tac

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You know, I've never thought of it that way. What you said about God allowing us to share our lives with them, I mean. It makes sense. I can just imagine her up there in heaven chewing on Jesus' toes. She always did that to us.