how do you sleep at night? side, back, front?

jezmondo69

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
bit of an odd question this, but how do you guys sleep at night? the last few nights i have got into bed (with the puss-tat a usual) and gone to sleep with her on my chest, so im lay flat on my back, and i have to say i dont wake up once in the night?

usually i sleep on my side curled up with shelby next to me in the middle, by my belly/chest, but then i wake up maybe 3 or 4 times in the night.

is it only me that finds it odd im sleeping so well on my back, it salways felt really un-natural before.

sorry for the randomneww of this topic!

cat.ling

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I always sleep on my back. Only occasionally will I fall asleep on my side, and then I always get turned back onto my back soon after that.
But I no matter how I sleep, I have to get up a few times to go to the bathroom.

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I sleep either on my left or right side, I generally wake up several times during the night when I turn over because of my arthritis. When I go to move my joints are generally stiff from inactivity and it can be kind of painful finding a comfortable position.

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Normally I sleep on my side, but since we have gotten Stella, I have had to sleep on my back because she likes to sleep on my lower tummy - making it very uncomfortable for me. If I move, she will sleep between me and hubby and he is a heavy sleeper and so he will squash her if he moves - I don't trust him, so I just put up with having her on me!

lil maggie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I fall asleep on my side mostly because Maggie likes to sleep next to me with her head on my pillow. I always wake up on my back though.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Left side. I can tolerate being on my back a little longer now that I've had my gallbladder removed (some GI stuff has calmed down a little), but I'll still get nauseous if I try to lay on my right or on my back too long.
GI doc was puzzled by this, all I can guess it that I get less reflux on my left side.

lil maggie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Left side. I can tolerate being on my back a little longer now that I've had my gallbladder removed (some GI stuff has calmed down a little), but I'll still get nauseous if I try to lay on my right or on my back too long.
GI doc was puzzled by this, all I can guess it that I get less reflux on my left side.
Wow how freaky! I can't lay on my left side or I get nauseated. My stomach starts to gurgle, feel hot and I will definitely puke. My GI doc has no idea why.

junebugbear07

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Umm I usually wake up on my stomach or side, i flip a lot when i sleep,partly why the munchkins have a hard time sleeping with me!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lil maggie

Wow how freaky! I can't lay on my left side or I get nauseated. My stomach starts to gurgle, feel hot and I will definitely puke. My GI doc has no idea why.
In a way I'm glad I'm not the only one with this weird symptom. Did your GI doc look confused/surprised when you told them this, too?

Near as I can guess it might be some reflux and that can affect a particular nerve that runs down your esophagus - making nausea worse, could cause that hot feeling, and even affect heart rate and blood pressure. I'll also get palpitations sometimes if I've been on my right side too long and start getting nauseous.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

I flip all night. From back to side to side and over again.
That suggest something is affecting your sleep. Either your bed or more likely you're not staying in REM sleep. Sleep apnea is a common cause of that. Do you often wake up feeling like you haven't had enough sleep?

While common, a lot of movement in sleep is not normal.

goosegoose

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I usually sleep on my side; but I keep changing positions all night until I fall asleep.

zooy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Generally I start on my side, get uncomfy then flip to my stomach down. Then I fold my arms under my pillow and there I sleep until Mike gets in the bed then I sleep on my side again.

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
i go to sleep on my right side wake up the same way, but semingly i sleep on my back for most the night haha

proudmamiof4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I toss and turn all night!So I pretty much sleep on all sides
My husband jokes he is going to tie me dwn at night so he can get a good nights rest

whisky'sdad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Pretty much on my back, with Whisky by my side. I'll wake up sometimes and I'll have moved over to the right side of the bed with Whisky occupieing the left side. Sometimes, I'll sleep awhile on my side, but due to my size (think Chris Farley), it tends to be not real comfortable all night.

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I sleep in all positions. I toss and turn at night and mostly sleep on my stomach, but will roll to my back at least once during the night and I also sleep on either side with a body pillow.