Naughty Pippy... pooing on the floor!

pippy-pops

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, we changed pippin's litter this weekend to Worlds Best because the smell was unbearable with Catsan, Bob Martin, Sainsbury's Own Brand, numerous clumping litters and countless other litters. All of which didn't do as they said they would, none of them were good enough and they all let me down!

Now Milly used it right away, and Pip took a little while before he did a wee but I thought "hey, they're taking to it! RESULT!".
I couldn't have been more wrong... Pippin won't use it now!

I went upstairs this afternoon and there was a horrible smell up in the toilet, which I thought was my husband (
"sorry"
) and I came downstairs and said to him "you coulda warned me honey... it reeks up there!" Well needless to say, he obviously had no idea what I was talking about because he looked at me with a totally blank expression as if to say "What did I do?". A little while later, he went upstairs and all I heard was "HONEY, you've got to see this!"... yes, Pippin had decided that the litter tray was just not cutting it and he used the floor in the bathroom - ok so he couldn't have got any closer to the toilet if he tried.... but he's pooing on the floor...

Should I go back to his old litter tray?

skimble

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would get the previous litter back that he was using before the switch. After he is using the litter again you could try gradually mixing a small amount of the new brand of litter in with the old brand until he becomes adjusted to the new litter.

Another thought is to put out two trays, one with the old brand and one with the new brand to see what he does.

My daughter ran out of litter and hastily picked up a different brand. Her cats protested by not using the box. Problem solved when she bought their usual brand.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pippy-pops

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What I've done is just that... 2 trays, one with the new stuff, and one with the old stuff. But he's not been interested in either! Grrrr

I'll obviously leave it a lot longer than a few hours to see how he gets on! It's so annoying though because he's normally just changes straight over from one litter to another without any problem or teenage tantrum!

Milly, I've noticed, has so far used both!
Good girl!

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My girl will use just about any litter, but not my boy! Here's hoping he'll start using the old litter and box (did you put the old litter in the original box, located where he's used to it?)

If he keeps on going outside the box you may have to take him in for a check-up, but here's hoping it's just the litter. BTW, have you tried Cat Attract - a little pricey but worked wonders with my boy!

pippy-pops

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
no no no no no!
I've come home today and he's done it again! Another poop on the floor, in the kitchen this time!

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, this is what I was told - if they're peeing or pooping near the box, that usually means they just don't like the box or the filler, and it's worth switching litter back immediately to see if that solves anything. But, if he's starting to poop all over the place, I'd really first get a vet check to make sure there's nothing physical going on, then try to figure out if he's marking territory via the poo. But, I bet he's not feeling well. Does the poo look exactly like usual?

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would buy a new box entirely - different shape/look - use the old litter. If he's going in the same spot on the floor, put a box there.

pippy-pops

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by darlili

Ok, this is what I was told - if they're peeing or pooping near the box, that usually means they just don't like the box or the filler, and it's worth switching litter back immediately to see if that solves anything. But, if he's starting to poop all over the place, I'd really first get a vet check to make sure there's nothing physical going on, then try to figure out if he's marking territory via the poo. But, I bet he's not feeling well. Does the poo look exactly like usual?
Right, thanks Darlili, as soon as I'd finished the post above, I headed out back to the supermarket to get his first original litter which is Catsan non clumping... In the last 8 months I've gone progressively slowly toward clumping litter (which I might add he took to immediatly anyway!).... and the minute I put the litter in the tray I heard him come running down the stairs and into the kitchen as if he was DESPERATE! And voila... a nice little poop in his tray - a little softer than normal but it was a poop non the less!

I think I may just leave the "new litter and litter tray" out anyway, so that he can get used to it and hopefully start using it!

I think he may be either not feeling well or else it was a bit of a tantrum because I changed his litter tray! Either way, I'm pleased he's used his tray to poop this time!

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
One tip is to keep the litter very clean. Scoop it at least twice per day. Remember, your scooping it is the only "flush" his "toilet" gets! How would you like to use the toilet for a couple of days without flushing it?

pippy-pops

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

One tip is to keep the litter very clean. Scoop it at least twice per day. Remember, your scooping it is the only "flush" his "toilet" gets! How would you like to use the toilet for a couple of days without flushing it?
Oh I scoop till my arm falls off some days... especially with the kitten now in the house! I clean it when I get up in the morning, then again just before I go to work if I know they've been for thier business. Again as I walk in the door from work. Just after they've eaten and again just before bed!

I have a certain little man that each time he uses the litter tray he comes and tells me!

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I switched to World's Best, I literally took 3-4 months to make the switch completely. I started by mixing 25% WB with 75% of the old litter brand, then over the course of time, I would increase the WB and decrease the old litter until we were at 100% WB. This worked perfectly and i had no accidents.

Just like with foods, you just can't do a 100% immediate switchover, or, well, you already know what can happen.

Don't be discouraged, just start mixing them together slowly. It truly (IMO as a human and not a cat) has to do with smell first, then texture.

pippy-pops

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

When I switched to World's Best, I literally took 3-4 months to make the switch completely. I started by mixing 25% WB with 75% of the old litter brand, then over the course of time, I would increase the WB and decrease the old litter until we were at 100% WB. This worked perfectly and i had no accidents.

Just like with foods, you just can't do a 100% immediate switchover, or, well, you already know what can happen.

Don't be discouraged, just start mixing them together slowly. It truly (IMO as a human and not a cat) has to do with smell first, then texture.
Thanks Gingers Mom but I did all of that! I was mixing it slowly over about 2 months and when I finally got only WB - he rejected it...

could it be because WB is clumping and the catsan isn't?