Likely to hurt her? (Long, sorry)

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Many people here are already familiar with Daisy, the semi-feral stray we adopted a few months back. She was very aggressive and acted like a wild animal when she first got here. (I still have scars on the back of my leg from her big attack.) I received a lot of support from TCS members and am very grateful. Daisy is still rough around the edges but she has turned into quite a loving cat. We adopted Speck as a kitten from the animal shelter two years ago and he is the sweetest little gentleman. For months, he was confused and hurt by Daisy behavior - nobody had ever been mean to him before. Now Speck has changed. It reminds me of a song "we're not going to take it anymore". On a daily morning basis, Speck grabs Daisy's neck and throws her down. She screams and flips over, showing the white of her belly. The other day I was horrified that he stepped on her neck. I assume he has decided to show dominance. He is the only male cat in the household and he is roughly twice her weight. I knew dogs did stuff like this, but since cats aren't pack animals, I didn't think they did. Is it likely that he will hurt her by accident? I really don't want to interfere unless absolutely necessary, because I am kind of glad that he is finally taking up for himself. After he does his little routine, they play like nothing has happened. Do I need to intervene? If I do, she might go right back to beating up on him. I'm sort of a cat hypochodriac, so any advice would be appreciated...

theterribleduo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
oh I completely understand this, I had to pet-sit my friends cat once and she ended up in a smack down with Skunk. Now be warned that this is just my theory on this.

Speck came into it hoping to settle negations with warmth and some "come lets be friends" and obviously Daisy is saying "ragghhh! growl growl" sooo to me it looks like your basic Alpha vs female things. Cats are much like dogs in the pack thing and the whole 'what are you doing on my territory' thing. Speck got tired of being nice and is now trying to prove himself the Alpha of the family..now this could go on for awhile until either Daisy wins or gives up. I'd say let them fight it out but keep a close eye in case things get bloody(wounds,etc).

Or you could try and keep them apart for awhile until both find ways to blow off the steam and high tensions between the two.

The choice is yours, hope I've helped

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks, I appreciate the advice. I think it is a good idea just to let them fight it out. Bless Speck's heart, I bet he wonders what we've brought in on him. Whenever Daisy walks up to him, he starts squinting his eyes shut, expecting a smack.

zane's pal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think that very often, unless one is actually trying to kill the other, allowing them to work things out among themselves is generally best. After all, the physical structure of the human brain is very different from the feline equivalent.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Haha, it reminds me of 2 of mine, Dusty and Bitsy. Dusty likes to stalk and jump on Bitsy (just for fun---June and Dot love to play that game with him), and, every time, Bitsy screams like he's killing her. So I used to go "save" her and chase him off. But now I've figured out that she's just screaming like that to get me to come to her rescue. He never hurts her at all. It's probably the same with your two. They'll work it out. I wouldn't interfere at all unless someone starts getting hurt.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zane's Pal

I think that very often, unless one is actually trying to kill the other, allowing them to work things out among themselves is generally best. After all, the physical structure of the human brain is very different from the feline equivalent.
Very true! I'll never learn how to navigate the highly volatile world of cat politics. One minute, everything is fine. The next, all heck is breaking loose. Then it's over and everybody is friends again. And most of the time, I can't pinpoint what caused everything to jump off. Was it a subtle look? An unspoken gesture? A real or imagined slight?