TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Nutrition › Need a new plan!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Need a new plan!

post #1 of 22
Thread Starter 
Howdy,

After more than a year of eating CN Chicken & brown rice, Jack is back to runny stools. He has seent he vet, but that hasn't resulted in any solutions. It has been a little over a week now, since it started. I am beginning to think it may be a food sensitivity again. I was hoping someone could suggest a non-prescription option that I can try?

Or a temporary homemade recipe to try to get him back to normal, or figure out what it is that he has problems with.... something... anything. I feel so bad for the little guy, I don't know what else to do.
post #2 of 22
does Jack have a diagnosis ?? or just a twitchy tummy??
post #3 of 22
Thread Starter 
No diagnosis. While my vet agrees he probably has some allergies, I haven't had any luck identifying anything specifc... and that ususally results in skin issues with Jack.

For the record, he isn't acting ill in anyway... aside from the ongoing diarrhea.
post #4 of 22
has he been wormed recently?/

are you willing to try something like a lamb or beef based food
post #5 of 22
Thread Starter 
He has not been wormed since he was a few months old. That would have been about 1 - 1 1/2 years ago. He is indoor only, I didn't think doing it again would be necessary. But I did just give the vet a sample to check. No results yet.

I am willing to try anything in order to figure out where or what his issue might be. If I can find one that has limited ingredients to help narrow it down that would really make me happy!
post #6 of 22
I PM'ed you. you should try Instinct Lamb works wonders for my girl. cant find a dry for her yet but I am looking.
post #7 of 22
Thread Starter 
I should have mentioned that Jack has never had anything other than dry food. I am hesitant to go to canned food. (I have to feed him slowly over the course of the day otherwise he vomits because he eats it all right then way too fast.) If that is more likely to work out though, I can adjust.

One other fact I forgot about... way back one of the first foods we tried was Evo and that was a messy, messy disaster even though I only added a few kibbles of it to the food he was used to... I don't know if that helps or not.
post #8 of 22
maybe try cal natural herring formula ...

have you elevated the dish??
post #9 of 22
Wysong Anergen has a lamb and brown rice dry food.
i plan on using that food to narrow down what she cant eat, its either chicken or grains, so i guess that'll tell me.
post #10 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBDOLL22 View Post
Wysong Anergen has a lamb and brown rice dry food.
i plan on using that food to narrow down what she cant eat, its either chicken or grains, so i guess that'll tell me.
is rice the only grain?? in that food?
post #11 of 22
Thread Starter 
The food bowl is up on a stand. I found a store about 45 mins away that carries it. I will go get some. Considering the runny stool problem he has now, I still want to mix them for a bit correct? To not risk the shock?
post #12 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunacy95 View Post
The food bowl is up on a stand. I found a store about 45 mins away that carries it. I will go get some. Considering the runny stool problem he has now, I still want to mix them for a bit correct? To not risk the shock?
yes and with a stool issue I would try a few kibbles of the new food into old food for a few days then add more every few days as tolerated
post #13 of 22
Thread Starter 
BBDoll22 - yeah I believe it is the only thing that can be considered a grain. Here is the page with the ingredient list.

http://www.californianaturalpet.com/...panel=in&id=72

Its limited ingredient list is why I tried it... well that and Sharky's suggestion back then. Luckily the guy that owns the store where I got it, found another customer that wanted it too, or he might get grouchy with me.
post #14 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky View Post
is rice the only grain?? in that food?
it also has oat groats, i have no idea what they are. the ingredients are on their web site www.wysong.net the food is called Anergen
post #15 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBDOLL22 View Post
it also has oat groats, i have no idea what they are. the ingredients are on their web site www.wysong.net the food is called Anergen
oat groats is a low end oat meal sorta like brewers rice... oats are usually not an allergen but having 2 grains will be a bit harder to pin point
post #16 of 22
Crude Protein (Min)
24.0%
scary low ... ie kidney cats use higher
Crude Fat (Min)
12.0%
still low
Crude Fiber (Max)
4.5%
Moisture (Max)
12.0%
Taurine (Min)
0.3%



Ingredients: LambBUT realize this falls to about the taurine after cooking, [COLOR="Orange "]Ground Brown Rice, Ground Oat Groats[/color], Ground Flax Seeds, Dried Yeasttwo known probable allergens, DL-Methionine, Taurine, Lecithin, Fish Oil, Coconut Oil, Plums, Dried Wheat Grass Powder, Dried Barley Grass Powder, Citric Acid, Sage Extract, Rosemary Extract, Dried Kelp, Garlic, Black Pepper, Artichoke, L-Carnitine, Dried Bacillus subtilis Fermentation Product, Dried Enterococcus faecium Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus casei Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus lactis Fermentation Product, Dried Yeast Culture, Dried Aspergillus oryzae Fermentation Product, Dried Aspergillus niger Fermentation Product, Ascorbic Acid, Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin Supplement, Manganese Proteinate, Calcium Pantothenate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Copper Proteinate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin A Acetate, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement.
post #17 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky View Post
oat groats is a low end oat meal sorta like brewers rice... oats are usually not an allergen but having 2 grains will be a bit harder to pin point
2 grains hmm never thought about that. its the only Lamb dry cat food i can find that doesnt have chicken or fish. i tried the Instinct chicken and Weruva chicken to rule that out as an allergen but she wouldnt touch it.
post #18 of 22
Thread Starter 
I was able to get the herring and sweet potato california natural. The lady at this store seemed much more helpful than many places I have been... and they appear to have a much larger selection. They also had Natural Balance Duck and Green pea.

I grabbed the CN. Wish us luck!
post #19 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky View Post
Crude Protein (Min)
24.0%
scary low ... ie kidney cats use higher
Crude Fat (Min)
12.0%
still low
Crude Fiber (Max)
4.5%
Moisture (Max)
12.0%
Taurine (Min)
0.3%



Ingredients: LambBUT realize this falls to about the taurine after cooking, [COLOR="Orange "]Ground Brown Rice, Ground Oat Groats[/color], Ground Flax Seeds, Dried Yeasttwo known probable allergens, DL-Methionine, Taurine, Lecithin, Fish Oil, Coconut Oil, Plums, Dried Wheat Grass Powder, Dried Barley Grass Powder, Citric Acid, Sage Extract, Rosemary Extract, Dried Kelp, Garlic, Black Pepper, Artichoke, L-Carnitine, Dried Bacillus subtilis Fermentation Product, Dried Enterococcus faecium Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus casei Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus lactis Fermentation Product, Dried Yeast Culture, Dried Aspergillus oryzae Fermentation Product, Dried Aspergillus niger Fermentation Product, Ascorbic Acid, Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin Supplement, Manganese Proteinate, Calcium Pantothenate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Copper Proteinate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin A Acetate, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement.
sharky IYO if this dry is only fed as 25% of diet with the other 75% being instinct lamb wet what do you think?
post #20 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBDOLL22 View Post
sharky IYO if this dry is only fed as 25% of diet with the other 75% being instinct lamb wet what do you think?
worth a try IMHO
post #21 of 22
Good luck with the new food
sending good vibes for Jack
just stopped this reply my Little Miss just had an upset tummy issue. maybe her and Jack are feeling for each other
post #22 of 22
My little guy had the runny poop problem for several months. I asked around a bit and eventually found the solution in probiotics. I gave him one Ark Natural's "Gentle Digest" every day for three weeks, and stopped giving it to him when the problem disappeared.

He has been fine since, going on four months now. It is possible that a round of antibiotics when he was a kitten messed with his tummy and he needed to have some valuable flora replenished to help do some digestive work. Whatever the case, the litter box is much easier to deal with now.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Nutrition
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Nutrition › Need a new plan!