Don't cook when you're half asleep!

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ug.. This morning I did a dumb thing.. I was half asleep trying to cook breakfast and I knocked a knife off the stove and tried to catch it.

Instead it flipped around and cut the top of my knuckle on my left hand. I washed it, put ointment on it and put a bandage on it.
I got to work and that's when the pain set it

When I changed the band-aid it was deeper then I thought.

So now I'm debating on going to the ER to get it stitched up.
I hate needles more then anything in the world! I'd almost rather deal with a nasty scar. Plus, with it being on my knuckle, they'll probably just put that glue on it anyways..

Not the way I wanted my day to start!

cat.ling

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry to hear about your accident with the knife!! for you. I would get it looked at just in case. I hope it heals fast!!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
After years of clumsiness I have developed an instinctive reaction when things fall near me - I jump back. It's saved my toes from knives, forks, frozen food, and bricks countless times (didn't help me when I dropped a table on my foot, though).

I suggest everyone hone up on that skill!

How wide is the cut? If it's fairly wide then, yes, getting some stitches may be a good idea.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by twstychik

Oh no! Can you put butterfly tape on it? I hope it heals well.
I did that just about 30 mins ago.
I also wrapped it in gauze and put a splint on my finger to keep it straight

Originally Posted by strange_wings

After years of clumsiness I have developed an instinctive reaction when things fall near me - I jump back. It's saved my toes from knives, forks, frozen food, and bricks countless times (didn't help me when I dropped a table on my foot, though).

How wide is the cut? If it's fairly wide then, yes, getting some stitches may be a good idea.
It's about 1 and 1/2 inch long and all the way to the bone

I did a number on it

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here are some healing vibes for you!

Please stick to something easier to prepare until you wake up in the morning

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I worked in a restaurant like 5 years ago and I was putting away a knife and it slipped and cut 3 of my knuckles and it was pretty deep. I went to the hospital and all they did was put those steri-strips on it and tell me not to put my hand in water for a couple days.

Hopefully yours feels better soon.

lil maggie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

LOL! That's my first reaction too. Quick spread my feet apart and NOT catch whatever falls! Especially canned foods on my feet.

Feel better Hope you don't need stitches.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mbjerkness

Ouch I have done that myself. If it is all the way to the bone. You should have a doctor take a look at it.
Bone infection is nothing to risk.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree you need to get it checked out. Especially if the cut is on the knuckle and that deep, it's going to have a hard time closing by itself and infection is a big concern.

I, like catlover19, cut myself and good while cutting cucumbers when I worked in a restaruant. The knife slipped and I cut my middle finger (first digit) to the bone and even sliced through part of my fingernail from the side. It bled like crazy, but didn't really hurt at first. My manager reluctantly sent me to the ER (yes, the cucumbers were thrown away since they looked like christmas decorations...all green and red), and they just put those strips on it to hold it together, but they also gave me antibiotics to fight any infections. So, stitches may not be needed, but you still need to have it looked at.