TheCatSite.com › Forums › Feral Cats and Rescue › Caring for Strays and Ferals › can i use this product in feral eating area?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

can i use this product in feral eating area?

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 
Im doing research on my own cat and wanted to see if Diatomaceous Earth could be used to keep bugs away from the food of the ferals i feed.

I feed them in the woods and would LOVE to know it COULD be bug free during hte summer months.

Also if they walk in it - would that keep them flea free??

Does it also work for ticks - i keep reading flea control...

thanks so much.
post #2 of 14
Make sure you buy pure DE. Some DE that is advertised as a pesticide has other chemical ingredients in it. If you get it in pure form, a cat can ingest it with no problems. There are people that have used it to prevent internal parasites.

DE is great btw. I use it in my carpets when the dogs drag in fleas from the outside. One treatment and they are gone.
post #3 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momofmany View Post
If you get it in pure form, a cat can ingest it with no problems. There are people that have used it to prevent internal parasites.
Ie some people do eat it themselves.

Pure, or sometimes called also Human degree.
post #4 of 14
as long as it's food-grade DE, it's safe. works for both soft-bodied [grubs, etc.] & chitinous [ants, fleas, etc.] types of pests.
post #5 of 14
Hi! I'm about to start my own cats on it for de worming - as
I can't get my semi ferals to vets. There are lots of studies
showing that diatomachous earth (sp!) that is FOOD GRADE,
ONLY is not harmful to the human or animal but actually does
reduce to eliminate worms and parasites. Whipworm, round,
hook and tapes in particular. Prob. also pin worms.

YOu treat the bedding of the animals for fleas and ticks,
and can dust the fur with it for external control of ticks
and fleas.

You can also use it out side and treat the ground, so
as to prevent flea/ticks from coming into the treated
areas.

Mulit purpose, natural and pretty much harmless.

Just DO NOT get it into your eyes and DO wear
a mask when you are working with the powder in
bluk because it can case sensitive tissues such
as eyes and mucous membranes to dry out and
become irritated.

the doseages are listed at wolfcreek a site that
sells food grade only.

I got mine from golden harvest organics in CO.

Best of luck with it and tell me how it goes!!
post #6 of 14
Thread Starter 
THanks - Im actually excited about it - especially knowing it will help the cats remain healthy.

If i put it in their food between 30 cats - what if one cat eats it all - is too much harmful??? Is that somethign I would do every day/week???

I cant get close enough to any of the cats to put it on them.

I saw that Lowes carries it. I didnt know that there are different brands - i guess all are safe as long as it is food grade?


thanks again
post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by m935 View Post
THanks - Im actually excited about it - especially knowing it will help the cats remain healthy.

If i put it in their food between 30 cats - what if one cat eats it all - is too much harmful??? Is that somethign I would do every day/week???

I cant get close enough to any of the cats to put it on them.

I saw that Lowes carries it. I didnt know that there are different brands - i guess all are safe as long as it is food grade?


thanks again
I have no idea how much to feed them. Perhaps someone else knows that answer.

I would be suspicious of DE sold by a big box store. Food grade is usually a little more expensive than other kinds and big box stores tend to buy whatever they find the cheapest. Read the label very carefully, or do some research online about the actual ingredients in food grade DE. I actually used to buy mine from my vet.
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momofmany View Post
I would be suspicious of DE sold by a big box store. Food grade is usually a little more expensive than other kinds and big box stores tend to buy whatever they find the cheapest. Read the label very carefully, or do some research online about the actual ingredients in food grade DE.
On other hand, the homeless shy semiferals are survivors. = the weak ones are gone by now ... They are also used to eat practically everything, and most is not human grade kitchen clean. It is often soiled by earth=dirt/soil or such...

If they survive food and water soiled by dirty soil, they will surely survive DE, even if it is not the very best brand but a little cheaper one. As long it is Food grade it should do, is my guess.


Try to mix it evenly in the food. You cant really do much more than this.
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by StefanZ View Post
On other hand, the homeless shy semiferals are survivors. = the weak ones are gone by now ... They are also used to eat practically everything, and most is not human grade kitchen clean. It is often soiled by earth=dirt/soil or such...
The issue with the DE sold in big box stores is not that it has dirt, its that they might contain poisons. Thus my suggestion to read the ingredients carefully.
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momofmany View Post
The issue with the DE sold in big box stores is not that it has dirt, its that they might contain poisons. Thus my suggestion to read the ingredients carefully.
the only one i found @ home depot was the kind for pools - not food grade.
i got my food grade DE @ a local feed store.
post #11 of 14
http://www.ghorganics.com/

go here for details on what to dose at - its DAILY for 30 days in the food -

http://www.wolfcreekranch.net/

Both offer FOOD GRADE ONLY ..... call them and ask what they recommend.
The dosages are given on the Wolf Creek Ranch webpage for cats, dogs, and humans for worming. ....

Good luck. I got mine from ghorganics....
post #12 of 14
Thread Starter 
THANKS SO MUCH!!

Im definitely getting this stuff. And it does look like ghorganics has great prices - think im ordering now!!

I wish it worked for mosquitoes then all my dog/cat issues would be solved.
post #13 of 14
Thread Starter 
actually now i have a new question...

I just noticed Opilot already mentioned this - but i read on a website too that this stuff kills worms in our pets - does this mean that it could be a replacement for heartworm meds???
post #14 of 14
No, only the GUT parasites, such as: roundworm, pin worm, tapeworm, hook worm and whipworm. Not for other types of parasistes ....

Still have to do the heartworm meds for dogs. Cats don't get bothered as much by heartworms, but you can use Revolution topical stuff to help with heartworm in cats. I don't worry so much.

Ive live in Florida, TX and other parts of country with lots of skeeters, and NEVER in that time did my cats die of heartworm - in fact they lived to 19 yrs, and 2 made it to 18 yrs.

Good luck with the worming - I hope it works as well as Wolf Creek says it does - cause I'm taking it too, LOL...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Caring for Strays and Ferals
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Feral Cats and Rescue › Caring for Strays and Ferals › can i use this product in feral eating area?