How do you chose?

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not sure where to put this thread.

I'm contemplating getting Kizzy a playmate, so I've been browsing rescues, kijii, breeders and talking to Leto about her Jasper.

So today I stumble upon http://www.animalert.ca/cats.shtml

Take a look at those pics, how on earth can you chose?

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I haven't gotten to choose a cat in so long I probably don't remember how
If I were to be able to choose a cat, I would choose the one that has been in the shelter or rescue the longest, or one with special needs.... If I had another cat, which of course I would
I would try to get one that got along with others too.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lol, what I do is just pick at random. Honestly I've never in my life seen an ugly cat or a cat that I haven't found adorable..

rahma

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I never look, because then I want all of them

Seriously though, I'd go for a cat that already has proven to do well with other kitties. This should hopefully ease the trasition into your home.

howard

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am partial to dark gray cats because I have one.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You do what I did with Cleo.
Ask the group which one to go for.
I was stuck between two kittens when her.
Are you going to pick them from the pictures or go there and see them?

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've always believed that they pick you. If your seeing them in person then I'd let them tell you whos' right. If not then talk to the rescue and let them know what your home situation is like and ask them to help you. Beyond that I like Katie's idea of picking what would usually be considered the least adoptable cat (older, special needs).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mews2much

You do what I did with Cleo.
Ask the group which one to go for.
I was stuck between two kittens when her.
Are you going to pick them from the pictures or go there and see them?

I'm still investigating

It won't be right away.......may be a month or 2.

Kizzy found me... I put an ad up, describing my home situation and what I was looking for, stressing my needs and what I can give in return.

When I do get to that point, I will go see them. I can't pick from pictures, but I can pick where to start with the pics. For example: I prefer long haired, larger cats. So if a cat is listed as petite, or doesn't get along with other animals, etc. it is not one that I would go and see.

With Kizzy, I went to a shelter with a nice cat room.... cats are in this room, free, unless they have an issue and then the cat is in a cage. So I got to go in and just sit there.....seeing which kitties I liked. I loved that experience. I liked walking into a room with a bunch of kitties and taking my time, seeing who liked me and who I liked.

The link I posted, most of the cats are in seperate places. It's not a shelter, but a group of fosters which makes it a little more difficult to chose.

The kitties they have posted are all great..... it's just so hard to choose if I were to choose from them since the kitties are mostly seperated (there's a few paired together, but they rather not split up certain pairs).

oh to live on a farm with lots of money, that would be nice. I'd have a snake house, a kitty house, and a dog yard/house LOL.

Originally Posted by twstychik

I've always believed that they pick you. If your seeing them in person then I'd let them tell you whos' right. If not then talk to the rescue and let them know what your home situation is like and ask them to help you.
I do too, but if adopted from the link I posted, I need to start somewhere as I can go all over to view all of em. I would definately send a letter out to the rescue beforehand tho.... no sense going to see kitties that wouldn't fit in my home.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Dad adopted a dog at the pound years ago and it was so hard to pick.
What color cat do you prefer.
With Cleo I had to pick from the website because she came from North Carolina.
I am lucky she turned out nice.
Its nice you can go see them and pick from there.
To bad they are in the same places.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never really been given the chance to choose. Sho came from my grandmother cat who had a litter of kittens, he was the only one she didn't get a home for and he was sick. No choice, he needed vet care and he has been a wonderful cat.
The rest find me as strays. There's one option for you, look around, one will need you when you least expect it
Such as the members who have found cats out on highways, alleys, etc.

Might I suggest one who has been in foster care for quite a while?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mews2much

My Dad adopted a dog at the pound years ago and it was so hard to pick.
What color cat do you prefer.
With Cleo I had to pick from the website because she came from North Carolina.
I am lucky she turned out nice.
Its nice you can go see them and pick from there.
To bad they are in the same places.

I don't really have a colour preference...I do have a fur preference tho... long/fluffy

Originally Posted by strange_wings

The rest find me as strays. There's one option for you, look around, one will need you when you least expect it
Such as the members who have found cats out on highways, alleys, etc.

Might I suggest one who has been in foster care for quite a while?
hmmmm. Good point, I've been meaning to post about strays. We have a couple I've seen around, and don't know where to start. I thought about TNR them, but maybe one could bond with me. Will post that in a different thread/forum.

I like your idea of the ones who have been in care a long time.

jezmondo69

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
oh man, they are all lovely, makes me sad to think of the poor kitties looking fir a new home and a bit of love, bought a tear to my eye reading some of those! im such a jessie! lol you may all laugh at me now

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would say go and see them, and probably one will pick you.

Swanie picked us at the shelter, but I was having a hard time deciding on which other cat I wanted, when they suggested Cindy. I think they were having a difficult time adopting Cindy because she was a bit depressed, her little report card said she didn't play in the playroom and mostly slept in her bed at the back of her cage. But she was a sweetie flopping over so I could pet her, so I was sold. I've never regretted it for an instant, and if they could only see her playing now they wouldn't know it's the same cat.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by rahma

Seriously though, I'd go for a cat that already has proven to do well with other kitties. This should hopefully ease the trasition into your home.
especially one that isn't 'alpha' among the other cats - that will help, too.

when i got Chip, that was one of the reasons i went for him - his description included a statement that he wasn't 'alpha' in temperament - laid-back, etc.

kittybernard

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You don't choose! You build another wing onto your house and rent a U-Haul to bring them all home.
Kidding, kidding..!

Originally Posted by laureen227

especially one that isn't 'alpha' among the other cats - that will help, too.

when i got Chip, that was one of the reasons i went for him - his description included a statement that he wasn't 'alpha' in temperament - laid-back, etc.
I've gone by the same thing myself. Shadow was the first and therefor IS the queen and MUST NOT have her boundaries jeopardized.
Maybe you'll be able to see the cats you're interested in interact with other cats, too. I've chosen all of my kitties based on their "go-with-the-flow" dispositions & submissiveness.

But would you look at ALL of those darlings!
I'm sure everything will turn out wonderfully by using the right combination of your head and your heart when finding the one who's meant to be! I would get completely caught up in my heart and need someone to smack some sense into me.
So bring a buddy if you're like me!