How do you feel about the guard who pulled the cat's tail at a Cubs Game?

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One should never grab a cat by the tail. Aside from hurting the cat you'll just make it very mad and more likely to bite you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

howard

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
As somebody who owns a cat and loves her very much. It's completely wrong.

But, I understand. The cat's tail was pulled on once, but it was saved, and nobody got hurt or bitten.

You never know what kinda diseases the cat could have.

But, the real question is.

Did the guy who pulled the cat's tail really have that intention?

plainjane

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh yea, I'm sure it's all the CAT'S fault
. Wow...Never ceases to amaze me how stoopid people are...

Have I grabbed a cat by it's tail? Yes, once, because it was in danger of IT'S life and it was all I could grab. This cat was not hurting anyone, in danger of it's life, or anything else. (And I'm sure it had some kind of crazy disease, right?
)

howard

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
In hide sight, you really don't know if the cat had some kinda disease or not.

It takes gradual steps when you are dealing with stray animals anyway.

It might take weeks just for a cat just to trust you enough to let you pick them up if you are even lucky.

In a perfect world it would have been cool if the cat just rolled over and let the stranger rub it's belly like my cat does all the time.

Now, the cat will go to a great home.

Especially after it has been on TV.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
As an animal lover I thought it was ridiculous how he handled that cat, regardless to whether it hurt the cat or not, that is not how you handle a cat. The theory that the cat may have had a disease doesnt fly, since he placed the cat right in the stands. The pic I saw of the him holding the cat by his tail AND the people in the stands smiling and laughing was equally ridiculous.

I dont condone mistreatment of any animal, period, but I always get extra miffed when people seem to make concessions for doing something to a cat.

Like this commercial or trailer for a movie (I cant remember which) that is out right now of a cartoon cat and dog, where the dog knocks on the door and gives puppy dog eyes to the man and he throws the dog some food, the cat does the exact same thing and he throws a pan at the cat.

This was actually made into a commercial or trailer and aired on TV because it is acceptable in our society. It should not be and sends a bad message, just like saying its ok to pick a cat up by its tail does.

Some people dont have the sense to know unless you guide them step by step.

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Saw it live on TV since Earl is a HUGE Cubbies fan. BTW, she is a very pretty calico, in case you haven't seen pics or video.

Didn't like it when it happened, don't like it now.

But, having said that, he had originally scruffed the cat and picked her up supporting her rear to carry her to the stands. When he got to the stands, and was going to let her loose there, he apparently loosened his grip and she FLIPPED OUT (as us cat lovers would expect). He may not have been hurt, but she did turn on him, probably scratched and bit (good thing it was a cold game and he had a jacket on) and got loose again. The story said there were multiple employees who were bitten by the "terrified cat". That's when he grabbed her by the tail, probably the only part he could grab, and lifted her over the barrier to the stands.

It is NOT how you handle a cat, but at that point I kinda understood it. Let's face it - he's a Cubs employee and not a shelter employee, and the cat was disrupting the game (no matter how silly of a reason that seems to us, to him it was legitimate). He'd just been NAILED by that cat, and even if she did no damage, you know it scared him for at least a brief moment. And he didn't carry her by the tail, he lifted her up briefly to get her off the field.

The question that was on my and Earl's minds when it happened was "How did she get on the field????"

I hope she is going to a good home now. I'm sure there are lots of Cubs fans who would be happy to adopt such a notorious cat. After all, she has been on national TV!

howard

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry.

I didn't know you couldn't copy and paste the page linked.

I will remember that next time.

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The question that was on my and Earl's minds when it happened was "How did she get on the field????"
My thought exactly. Some moron probably thought it would be funny to sneak a cat into Wrigley. That poor little kitty must have been terrified. And after getting bitten by her, I'm sure the security guard wasn't very happy, either.
He didn't intend to hurt her, and it appears that he didn't.
Hopefully some kind person will give the kitty a good home.

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
While I agree the man tried to get the cat off the field correctly the first time, anyone who knows anything about animals knows a terrified animal if cornered will either fight or flee.
Knowing this they should've NOT chased the cat the way they did, NOR should they have cornered it thinking that this cat would just roll over and play possum. They SHOULD have gotten the towel before trying to catch the cat so that they could place it over the terrified animal so something like that WOULDN'T happen.
Also putting it in the stands in a group of people puts not only the cat at risk but the people if they try and corner the cat again. Next time (if there is one) hopefully they will think it through before they do something like that again.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The smart and easy way to deal with this would be to have a net handy that they could throw over an animal (or a person!) who ran on the field.

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As a reds fan, I too was watching this game.

I'm also confused as to how it made its way onto the field in the first place.

Although I'm not pleased with the fact that he picked it up by the tail, again, he's a human who was bitten and scratched and although we, as animal/cat lovers, think/know there is a better way to handle it, his job is to clear the field of disruptions and I'm sure not trained in dealing with cats on the field.

I pray the cat finds a great home.

Leslie

plebayo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
But, having said that, he had originally scruffed the cat and picked her up supporting her rear to carry her to the stands. When he got to the stands, and was going to let her loose there, he apparently loosened his grip and she FLIPPED OUT (as us cat lovers would expect). He may not have been hurt, but she did turn on him, probably scratched and bit (good thing it was a cold game and he had a jacket on) and got loose again. The story said there were multiple employees who were bitten by the "terrified cat". That's when he grabbed her by the tail, probably the only part he could grab, and lifted her over the barrier to the stands.

It is NOT how you handle a cat, but at that point I kinda understood it. Let's face it - he's a Cubs employee and not a shelter employee, and the cat was disrupting the game (no matter how silly of a reason that seems to us, to him it was legitimate). He'd just been NAILED by that cat, and even if she did no damage, you know it scared him for at least a brief moment. And he didn't carry her by the tail, he lifted her up briefly to get her off the field.
I totally agree!