How long do you wait before meeting the parents?

jessy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When you are dating someone new, how long do you wait before meeting the parents? Do you just go with the flow? I guess it depends on how the relationship is moving along, as it's different for everyone?

plainjane

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I personally don't bring people to meet my family, (primarily my younger siblings), till I know them very well...For one friend, it was three months, and for a guy I decided to date, it was six.
It's really an event if it you make it one, honestly. If you don't, it's not too big a deal, but should be done when both parties are comfortable with it/ready to do it.

As a rule of thumb...If the guy expresses interest in meeting your parents/family, or introduces you to his, it's probably about time you tried it too,

Good luck

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Rob met my parents the same day we started dating
Of course, he was a guy who just drove 3 hours from another state to meet me at the time. I met his parents 2 weeks later.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, he met my parents, family and family friends after about a month. We started dating in November and he came to Christmas eve diner at my parents house. It was probably another few months before I met his family. They live 2 hours away and it meant spending a whole weekend with him and them which is a bit bigger than holiday diner IMO. It was spring and I got a heck of an intro because his brother's psycho ex was there too. Lots of drama ensued and he decided I was a keeper since I didn't run screaming! LOL

yam102284

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just went with the flow. I think I met his parents roughly a month or so after we began dating. And he met mine after about two months. I wasn't going to plan when we would meet each other, just when we thought the time was right.

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We definitely went with the flow. He met my dad within weeks of us dating. He didn't meet my mom, nor did I meet his parents until about 9 months later. There happened to be an opening for an exhibition we were both in that his parents and mine attended so everybody met everybody that night.

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wish'd I'd never had...but on the bright side his dad hasn't spoken a word to me in a year.

Ahh.... marriage....

Leslie

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I never brought anyone to meet my family until I knew it was a serious, long term relationship, usually 3 months or more of exclusive dating.

For those with children, I wouldn't recommend having the person meet the children until probably 6 months when you know it's a very serious relationship because it's not fair to kids to have people paraded in and out of their lives.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jessy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you

It's interesting to see, it's so different for everyone.
I've been dating a guy for a month, and he's invited me to lunch with his mum on sunday.
My situation is a little tricky as I'm going through a separation / divorce.
As some of you will know i separated from my husband just over 3 months ago. We were only married for 1 year and 8 months, together for a total of 5 years, so it was quite soon for me to meet someone else, and I was actually really happy on my own, but then this guy came along and he's just knocked me for 6! We knew each other a little already. Isn't it funny the way these things just come out of the blue?

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Blaine had met my mam before i even knew him, she used to teach at his school so i only really had to introduce him to my dad which wasnt long after we started going out, maybe a couple of weeks id say

zooy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I met Mikes mom like a month after we started dating, she drove me to the bus terminal at Thanksgiving lol.
I met the rest of his family 2 months in.

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jessy

I've been dating a guy for a month, and he's invited me to lunch with his mum on sunday.
My situation is a little tricky as I'm going through a separation / divorce.
I'd say it's okay if you're comfortable with it, and as long as he's told his mom your situation. I would never want to go into that and have it come up awkwardly especially since you don't know at that point how it'd be received by her. If she knows and still wants to meet you, and your comfortable with it, why not?