How to handle adult & kitten food

followedbydolls

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Later on this week i am picking up a new kitten now.. the rest here are all adults so obviously are on adult foods.

I am trying to sort out the feeds, the brand the kitten is being fed wasn't a brand i used anymore but i have re-introduced it in an adult form to hopefully
lesson the appeal of the kitten food that will be placed out, however the results of this food addition isn't going quite as well, their eating it but somebody tossed their cookies this morning, and no the food has not been introduced to quickly, they still have access to their normal diets but you know how some foods work and others don't.

I am wondering if i should consider a cat/kitten diet to lesson issues of crossfeeding?

any suggestions on what? i'm trying to remember who does a multi stage product, i know mine will not touch feldiae so that is out for sure.

Feeding the kitten separate will be difficult as i free choice all my adults and the breeder he is coming from also has the same policy so he will expect to find his food readily available.

firedancer722

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When I got Siddha he was still 8 months old and Bodhi was 8 years old. I had a policy of free feeding dry food as well and so I switched them both to an all-life stages food, Solid Gold Katz-n-Flocken. It ended up being a little too rich for Siddha's tummy so they went to California Natural.

Good luck and CONGRATS on the new kitten!!!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its difficult when you are letting food sit out all the time for cats to eat. When I had a single cat (my first) - he was allowed free feeding and was not overweight. However, once I had more then one cat, they were put on a twice a day (or 3 times a day for kittens) scheduled feeding times and learned to eat when food was served.

So I would work on changing them over to scheduled meals. You will have to put the kitten in a carrier or room to eat the kitten food and offer it 3 times a day and don't let the adults in the room till the kitten is done eating.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

followedbydolls

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by firedancer722

When I got Siddha he was still 8 months old and Bodhi was 8 years old. I had a policy of free feeding dry food as well and so I switched them both to an all-life stages food, Solid Gold Katz-n-Flocken. It ended up being a little too rich for Siddha's tummy so they went to California Natural.

Good luck and CONGRATS on the new kitten!!!
thank you for the brand suggestions!

followedbydolls

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Its difficult when you are letting food sit out all the time for cats to eat. When I had a single cat (my first) - he was allowed free feeding and was not overweight. However, once I had more then one cat, they were put on a twice a day (or 3 times a day for kittens) scheduled feeding times and learned to eat when food was served.

So I would work on changing them over to scheduled meals. You will have to put the kitten in a carrier or room to eat the kitten food and offer it 3 times a day and don't let the adults in the room till the kitten is done eating.
I'm sorry i am not interested in changing how i feed them, it works well here and would upset them all if i made such a drastic change, and as i said earlier the breeder the kitten is coming from has the same policy so he is used to this type of feeding as well.

thanks for your thoughts though.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
how young is the kitten??

normally I would suggest a high protein / high fat all stage ( yes a few are avail that are not grain free) and feed all the same food ...

How old are the adults?

followedbydolls

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

how young is the kitten??

normally I would suggest a high protein / high fat all stage ( yes a few are avail that are not grain free) and feed all the same food ...

How old are the adults?
The kitten was born feb 18 and the adults are 4

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by followedbydolls

The kitten was born feb 18 and the adults are 4
truefully since the older are not seniors I would feed just kitten