Somebunny's Journey

kittybernard

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Since some of you guys expressed interest in updates on Somebunny during her journey, here is her official update thread.

Thanks to each of you who commented on my last post giving her compliments & giving me encouragement!
I was pretty overwhelmed at first, but so many of you that have been through the same (and worse!) have proved that this mission is not impossible.
She actually started playing last night & kept me up with all of the racket she was making! Her former owners had bought & sent a bunch of toys with her.. they were buzzing, tweeting and beeping all night long!
I'll take it as a good sign.

A glimpse of her sweetness..

ACK! Changed her mind!

Letting her guard down for another quick second..

..until she remembered she still hates me.
She's not talking in this photo.. she's hissing & yelling at me as I was leaving.
(Sorry it's not in focus!)

Somebunny is a tad bit bipolar.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
@ the last pic.
Awwwwww shes so beautiful

What is her story? Why did her owner give her up do you know?

plainjane

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
HAHAHA, love the last one!

Well, she's certianly progressing, thank you for the update
. I'll bet she just keeps warming up as the days go by.

keycube

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh, how she reminds me of my Sasha, with her dainty little features. What a beautiful (albeit moody) girl!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Awwwww............ the playing is a VERY good sign!
When they're older, it can sometimes take them a while to figure out what "playing" is.
She's already ahead of the game!

Laurie

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree that playing is a good sign. It is going to take some time for her to realize that she is safe and secure... so be patient. In a couple of months I'd wager she will be fine.

I think I said this before - just don't force yourself on her... she needs to work this out on her timetable.

rahma

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That last picture is pure gold, and is sure to do well in some calendar contest down the line

myfamiliars

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's breathtakingly beautiful. I can see a difference in her eyes already. As for the last pic--love it! She looks completely insane, but still beautiful. Thank you for taking her in.

siobhan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Awwwwwwwwwwwww, she is adorable and I am certain once she gets to know you and feels this is HER place, she will be fine. I do not know her story but if she went through truama, love and lots of food and time and petting and being with her will help! She looks soooooooo cute!

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Somebunny is a beautiful little girl!
Even if she is a little neurotic.

The fact that she's playing is a super good sign. And even that she's being bi-polar.
To me, it shows that she's fighting within herself. "Do I trust this lady? Yes. NO. Well, maybe she is ok...she played with me. Wait, NO! I don't know her!! But this place is nice and warm and I have room to move around and play..."

Just be patient with her. Move at her speed, don't push yourself on her, and be ready for her to take a few steps back when she does move out of her comfort zone. The wall will come down, but it will be brick by brick, and sometimes she will just back away until she gets used to the idea again.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittybernard

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sorry it took me a bit to make it back here, but thanks for all of the wonderful comments everyone!! You guys are great!!

Originally Posted by Pami

@ the last pic.
Awwwwww shes so beautiful

What is her story? Why did her owner give her up do you know?
Her owners were an elderly elderly couple that came into Petsmart to surrender their cat while I was there adopting Moosie. The rescue had nowhere for the cat to go (full & not accepting anymore cats), so they asked me to foster- I accepted. According to the couple, she was more-or-less stuck to a cactus when they rescued her. (Don't know what age exactly, but she is 8/9 months old now.) She recovered with vet treatment and they kept her, however, their GSD hates cats. So for the past six months she had lived in a cage.
The woman was heart broken and felt so guilty.. just glad she ended up doing what was best for her!

Had to move her into the smaller bathroom because of some plumbing issues.. but she doesn't seem to mind. Her attacks on me have gradually lessened and even transformed into sleeping against the door & purring after I leave the room. MAJOR kudos to Johnboy & Kitten who go to visit her all of the time.. their "big brother" and "big sister" roles have had such a positive impact on her! Johnboy has been especially helpful when it comes to showing her how to be a balanced cat. At first his even-tempered demeanor intimidated her.. but when he didn't so much as flinch at her "attack attempts", she's realized he's trustworthy & knows what he's doing!

She's only three months younger than Johnboy. I can't decide whether she's petite or he's chubbed out!

Her favorite roll of toilet paper.. it's remnants are scattered about. She immediately fixes everything after I've ruined it - aka, after I've cleaned.

Cowering beside Johnboy from Billy's SCARY PAW! (under the door)

The following pictures are from last night.. the first time she's really played with me.. she had fun!!

Johnboy joined in on the fun too..

Activating her hunting skills.. haha!

She's been sprouting white hair all over her.. maybe it's the attitude change?

Every inch of her is cute.. except for those claws!!!

"Praise God! I've been delivered!" Haha!

"HOLY CAT! WHO KNEW PLAYING WAS SO FUN! Wheeee!"

And one little video!
http://s276.photobucket.com/albums/kk8/miss_bo_bita/?action=view&current=sb2.flv

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Gosh, she is just so pretty!!

It sure looks like the boys are showing her how to be a cat. In some cases, the best socializers of feral/scared/abused cats are other cats who already have that trust bond with humans. It's easier for her to make the leap to the next step when she can see another kitty doing it and not being hurt.

myfamiliars

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Somebunny is a total doll. I love the video of her. It seems like she is adapting quite nicely, and how great that your boys are being ambassadors for you. I think she is very petite, and Johnboy is just big-boned. Please keep us updated on her progress.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
"Bunny" is doing great!!!!! Let's hear it for kitty ambassadors!!!

In that video clip it also looks like she came over when you clicked, was checking you out and rubbing on you - also very good signs!!!!

ETA: She definitely needs a nail trim, but that may have to wait until she trusts you a little bit more, right?

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by valanhb

Gosh, she is just so pretty!!

It sure looks like the boys are showing her how to be a cat. In some cases, the best socializers of feral/scared/abused cats are other cats who already have that trust bond with humans. It's easier for her to make the leap to the next step when she can see another kitty doing it and not being hurt.
And as Adrien pointed out - let's hear it for kitty ambassadors!

She is insanely darling!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Things still going well?

Laurie