Appreciating the simple things...

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
There are so many little simple things in life that we don't appreciate until something happens to them. For me today, it was the spring on the garage door. It snapped when my DH left for work and my car was trapped in the garage. There was no way we could have opened it so I was stuck spending the day waiting for someone to come fix that spring. And found out that the garage door was 320 lbs. A piece of thick wire formed into a spiral has allowed us to lift and lower that door 2,3 times a day over the last 10 years.

What other sort of simple tools or items do you think are under-appreciated in your life?

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well that was a total bummer for you! Sorry your day was so difficult.

The worst "tool" that I lost for a while was the use of my left thumb. An infection under the nail caused a chain of events where I had to have 2 surgeries on it and I didn't have use of it for a year. You would be amazed what you can't do without a thumb on your non-dominant hand.

cat.ling

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had that spring break a couple of times. It was annoying.

One of the simplest things I missed when it was gone was losing my voice when I get a bad cold! I'm sure there were other stuff... other than the electricity when the hurricanes blew through here a few years ago.

catnurse22

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
WATER! A water line burst in my apartment complex last week and we were without for 36 hours. You can't do ANYTHING without water.

cat.ling

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CatNurse22

WATER! A water line burst in my apartment complex last week and we were without for 36 hours. You can't do ANYTHING without water.
That's true. when the power went out today, it was still okay because we had water and I was able to do some cleaning.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Non material - My eyesight. When I had my eyes get extremely sensitive and painful from a really bad flare up of dry eyes it was a bit disturbing.

Other things most people take for granted. Being able to eat and not have to run to the bathroom mid meal or shortly after and the pain that comes along with it.

Going outside it 80F + weather for more than 2-3 minutes. I'll likely never be able to enjoy outdoor activities without getting sick.

Standing. Be glad that you can do so without medication!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Non material - My eyesight. When I had my eyes get extremely sensitive and painful from a really bad flare up of dry eyes it was a bit disturbing.

Other things most people take for granted. Being able to eat and not have to run to the bathroom mid meal or shortly after and the pain that comes along with it.

Going outside it 80F + weather for more than 2-3 minutes. I'll likely never be able to enjoy outdoor activities without getting sick.

Our bodies are truly amazing and definitely under-appreciated by most of us.

lil maggie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

It doesn't take much when something goes wrong to learn to appreciate a whole ton of stuff most people take for granted