having an issue pet sitting

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
there's a tortie who's a real witch to the other cats. she's not letting me sleep where i slept last night and there was a fight between one cat and her. Are torties always this witchy or should I call someone?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
they are now sleeping calmly on the same bed, but I'm worried about moving her - I don't want to get scratched.

lyrajean

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Renovia

there's a tortie who's a real witch to the other cats. she's not letting me sleep where i slept last night and there was a fight between one cat and her. Are torties always this witchy or should I call someone?
Some of them are. Not sure if it's that they all are female or a color conenction but its called 'tortitude'. The kitties have probably all got their panties in a bunch 'cause their people are gone and you're there. As long as the cats are not drawing blood or injuring each other I wouldn't worry too much. Can the cats retreat to different rooms of the house when one feels terrorized?

Can you choose another bed? Or at least slide in next to her (without getting attacked) so she gets the idea you're not giving up on your spot. Most cats I've known have a good concept of relative body mass and will move reluctantly if you threaten to sit or roll over on them. Some of them do like to take it to a certain level of brinkmanship though.

theterribleduo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Lyrajean

Or at least slide in next to her (without getting attacked) so she gets the idea you're not giving up on your spot. Most cats I've known have a good concept of relative body mass and will move reluctantly if you threaten to sit or roll over on them.
ah I can vouch that this method is effective as I've had to do it with Skunk before..although once he simply rolled and kept snoring..so who knows! good luck!

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My sweet Ginger is a two-paw, cat-face slapping witch to all felines in my crew except for Maxwell and me.

To me, she's a sweet little baby kitten, and she pretty much considers Maxwell her equal (although he gets the best of her on occasion, just because he is King,) so she tolerates him.

Ahhhh, tortitude.

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, all is well. Things settled down - the tortie was ticked at another cat not me. They were both sleeping on the same bed when I went to bed and Declan (the tortie) was purring and rubbing against me, I got in to bed and she moved closer to me and wanted pets.

I tell you though, I thought it was world war III up there for a while.

lyrajean

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Renovia

Well, all is well. Things settled down - the tortie was ticked at another cat not me. They were both sleeping on the same bed when I went to bed and Declan (the tortie) was purring and rubbing against me, I got in to bed and she moved closer to me and wanted pets.

I tell you though, I thought it was world war III up there for a while.
Glad to hear everything is ok. I used to pet sit in the States.

Don't get me wrong, I luv multi-colored girl cats. I've had 3, 2 patch/calico tabbies and now a mi-ke (Japanese calico), and love them to death but they definitely got attitude... she probably just wanted you all to herself

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just hope nothing is happening when I'm not there........sheesh and I thought two days ago she hated me.