Do you spend too much time on the computer?

cat.ling

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If you're anything like me, then YES you do.
I realized how much today, when the power went out here for a couple hours. I was on the computer and then all of a sudden everything went dead. So I had nothing to do but some housecleaning. I managed to do the dishes, make some lunch for hubby when he came home on lunch break (he confirmed that our area was out of power because the traffic lights weren't working-- pooh, I was hoping he could check the circuit breakers and make sure it just wasn't our house
), cleaned out the extra room and bathroom, and I was just sitting down to sort and file last month's mail when the power came back. So of course like the addict I am, I went right back on the computer (Mafia Wars game on Facebook
). And it doesn't help that now there are these fun games started here, I spend more time in front of the monitor.
Well, to my defense, I did do laundry first this morning before I went on the computer.

It sounds bad, but it's because we've been on the computer more often of late just because of that dratted game! Both hubby and I play. I got him started (he was skeptic at first) but now he's leveled up way ahead of me.

I felt like I did so much in the couple hours the power was gone. And I wished the power was out longer so I could be more productive.
I think I'll try turning off the computer tomorrow. See what happens. But then I'll be even more behind in Mafia Wars than my husband!!

So, do you use the computer/internet too much? Or am I the only lazy bum around here?

lil maggie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nope, it's not just you!! I'm on the computer at night till I go cross eyed

If I'm not on here, I'm usually scouring the internet for some good books.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As evident by the other thread, a read a lot of ebooks. So yes I'm at my computer a lot - though not necessarily doing stuff online. I also listen to a lot of music (while reading).

When the power goes out my biggest annoyance is lack of music actually. Cleaning is more bearable with something to listen to.

I actually need to head over to my in-laws now that it's cool enough that I can go outside... after this song.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cat.ling

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm glad I'm not the only one! Now I have to sign off and scrounge up some food for hubby. He just asked me (from his position at the other computer), "Are you going to sit there all night?" and I answered "Just might..."

We have basic cable, but it's for my hubby. I don't watch TV (okay, except for House). Reading and the internet does it for me.

lil maggie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Cat.Ling

I'm glad I'm not the only one! Now I have to sign off and scrounge up some food for hubby. He just asked me (from his position at the other computer), "Are you going to sit there all night?" and I answered "Just might..."

We have basic cable, but it's for my hubby. I don't watch TV (okay, except for House). Reading and the internet does it for me.
That sounds sooo familiar! In the evenings, one of the few shows on tv I'll watch is House. Otherwise I'm reading or online

tigerontheprowl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm another slave to technology. Always have been and probably always will be. There's always something new and exciting to check out. Really the only times I get off of the computer are when I have to go to work or school or do something around town, or if the power goes out (or playing with my band but 90% of our practice sessions happen at my place so unless we are playing a show I'll still be using the computer to record us). Even if I'm doing laundry or making supper or something, I'll just turn on iTunes and play some music.

cat.ling

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lil maggie

That sounds sooo familiar! In the evenings, one of the few shows on tv I'll watch is House. Otherwise I'm reading or online
Seems like we have quite a few things in common-- our names and our hobbies!

The one thing I haven't gotten on the tech bandwagon for is the iPod. I love listening to music, but I just never got into listening to it on the iPod. Might be because I listen more to international music, and I never checked to see if iTunes carries the stuff I like.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I do! I spend about half my work day on the computer and i'm not doing work
I never go on in the evening cause i know it will eat up the little time I have after school- I have too many TV shows too watch!
I do go on Friday nights and I end up being up way too late

plainjane

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
In short, yes. In long, I've been spending too much time on the computer for years. I've gotten to a point where I may not pay attention to EXACTLY how long I'm on here, but it doesn't prevent me from getting done the things I need to get done or doing the things I enjoy doing.

Plus, I work from my computer, so I am stuck at it even when I want to be elsewhere, lol.

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to practically live on the computer. Especially when I didnt have a job and was home all day while Rob was working. Now I'm not on as much - at work when I'm bored I'll sneak on here (like right now). They blocked facebook & myspace, so I'm not surfing as much at work as I used to either. At home I rarely ever go online anymore. I've got the internet on my Pearl, and check on my myspace & facebook using that. The only reason I go online at home now is to check the bank account, pay bills online, or surf TCS. I was home sick for 2 days and I dont think I went online once!

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Cat.Ling

Sounds like us, except I msn him and ask if he's gonna be on there all night. How sad is that? We're about 3-4ft from each other, and use msn.

He plays an online game called Eve, and can spend hours on it.
I tend to facebook, msn, TCS and a couple other forums.

We're both computer geeks professionally. He's the techie, I'm the graphical nut.

I used to be alot more active, till all my injuries.... now I can't physically do alot of stuff, so I'm online more. Although it is decreasing now that the weather is getting nicer. Over the weekend, I'll prolly spend an hour each day online....the rest of it we'll be outside

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
^That is bad, considering it would actually be healthier for you just to turn and speak to him.

DH and I have our computers near each other, too. I do actually talk to him.

cat.ling

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hubby and I have instant messaged while we were in the same room before, but more for laughs. If we're in different rooms though, then we'll AIM each other.

siobhan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I used to as a student and now that I am busy setting up and running a new clinic, I wish I had more time. I never even get to visit her that often! But I DO spend time looking up info at work and occasionally winding down with a game of Tetris, lol (I'll never get over that addiction and I do not care if they develp a 12 step program, hehheh)

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think I do but it does go in spurts. Mostly I check my email a couple of times a day, and maybe surf for an hour or so. However sometimes if I get hooked on a game I will spend more time then I should playing.

spudsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
According to my DH, I do. Funny since we are in the same room and he's planted in front of the tv and I give him my undivided attention when he 'needs' it. Seems like he always needs it when he hears the keyboard clicking!
He says the same thing when I'm reading. Guess I should go out and hang out at the bars or go shopping all the time and give him something to complain about!