Vibes for froggie please!

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know this is a silly request, but I am trying to re-animate a frog that I found a bit ago. I actually found two froggies in the basement window well which is easy for mice and froggies to get into but impossible to get back out of. Since it is lined with gravel, there is no water, and no food, so I try to check a couple times a week for critters.

The large frog was not in too bad of shape and after 20min in a sink with some water, he was eager to go back outside. The smaller froggie was very dry and didn't seem too animated, so he is still in his little bath. He is looking better and becoming a bit more active, but I am still rather worried about the long-term consequences of his stay in the window well.

Can froggies be re-animated like this? Will they soak water in through their skin?

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They do soak water through their skin, as to whether or not he'll be ok, depends on the species.
Some frogs overwinter completely dried out.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It depends on how the skin and eyes look, and whether you actually have a frog or a toad. Toads tend to be a little more resilient.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
^It'll be fine. Toads can make it through some pretty tough circumstances. They thrive in Oklahoma where we often have droughts.

Chances are it's just a little cold still and needs extra time to wake up.

I've raised a few different types of common toads from tadpoles (their pool was drying out, I saved what I could). I've even had to take care of one that looked like it had a weedeater wound (she healed up nicely, though keeping a toad's wound clean isn't easy).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Should I put him in warm water or under a heat lamp? Right now, he is in fairly cool water.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by WELDRWOMN

Should I put him in warm water or under a heat lamp? Right now, he is in fairly cool water.
Only if you have a thermometer - preferably a digital one with a probe if you use a light. Other wise the water should be ok at room temp - around 75F. You don't want to heat a toad up over 78F or else they'll look for somewhere to dig down.

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How do I know when he is ok to go back outside?

I would like to release him before Marcie and Darcy decide that he is a new and exciting type of wet food....

plainjane

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

I would like to release him before Marcie and Darcy decide that he is a new and exciting type of wet food....
hahaha...here, toady, toady, toady!

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I just got out of the shower a couple of minutes ago and froggie was looking Much better and being quite feisty so I released him into the strawberry patch.

Thanks for your help and good vibes!

plainjane

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Well, I just got out of the shower a couple of minutes ago and froggie was looking Much better and being quite feisty so I released him into the strawberry patch.

Thanks for your help and good vibes!
Yay!
Glad it ended well!