UTI (me)

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a doctors appointment later this morning. I have a UTI. I haven't had one for a long time. I was born with deformed kidneys. I had terrible infections growing up. My kidneys are hurting ughhhhhhhhhhh. I definately need some anitbiotics. My family doctor isn't available, so I am seeing someone new.
I hate going to a strange Doctor.

deedeemay

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww hon, hopefully you feel better soon!
I've had UTI's before and they hurt so much..I even got hospitalised with one a few years ago when I was 15

That it goes away fast...

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here are some vibes for you! Please start feeling better soon!

I battled with re-occurring UTI's for a couple of years until I was able to go to a competent Urologist who put me on long term, low dose antibiotics. The UTI's are gone (have been for almost 3yrs), but I am still paranoid about drinking lots of fluids.

plainjane

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I had a very similar problem, and ended up with my right kidney failing a few years ago because of a birth-defect. I used to have UTIs every couple weeks, one after another. Ended up having surgery, and been much better since.

I still get them occasionally, though...

Hope you feel better...keep drinking water, (duh
)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well he confirmed it I definately have a nasty UTI. He was very nice. He looked through my chart, found my other UTI's and ultrasound of my kidneys. He prescribed the antibiotic I got last time. Norfloxacin . I also didn't notice but I have a low grade fever. I am drink as much water as I can stand. I know Cranberry juice is the best, but it makes me throw-up.

ms.blackie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You can buy cranberry tablets.
I buy organic cranberry juice. Check a health store.
That stuff they sell in the grocery store is nasty.

lil maggie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ms.Blackie

You can buy cranberry tablets.
I buy organic cranberry juice. Check a health store.
That stuff they sell in the grocery store is nasty.
Wow, great idea! I dislike cranberry juice too.

Get better vibes for you! I do hope it goes away fast!

plainjane

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I take cranberry pills when I've been drinking caffine too often...They seem to help, and they're pretty affordable...(Try http://www.puritan.com/) Puritan's Pride sells them pretty cheap, and usually like...buy two get one free or something.

Also, uristat works for me for when it's too much to stand...I usually have to take 4-6 at once though...Did he perscribe you pain killers or pyridium?

Glad you got in and got it taken care of!

PS: Found the ones I take (http://www.puritan.com/cranberry-sup...ith-c-e-004360) They have them buy 1, get 1 OR buy 2, get 3 right now!

kittybernard

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm glad the new doc. situation turned out nicely for you! OUCH.. UTI's are pure hell! Hopefully you'll kick it soon and get back to feeling in tip-top shape!!

Sorry in advance for the TMI.. but my doctor always prescribed me another medication along with the others that (for some reason) turned my pee red and completely took away ALL discomfort & pain. Just like cranberry juice takes away the pain.. without the awful taste!

What about AZO cranberry tablets? I've never tried them myself though. Anyone else?

plainjane

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kittybernard

I'm glad the new doc. situation turned out nicely for you! OUCH.. UTI's are pure hell! Hopefully you'll kick it soon and get back to feeling in tip-top shape!!

Sorry in advance for the TMI.. but my doctor always prescribed me another medication along with the others that (for some reason) turned my pee red and completely took away ALL discomfort & pain. Just like cranberry juice takes away the pain.. without the awful taste!

What about AZO cranberry tablets? I've never tried them myself though. Anyone else?
That pee coloring stuff is called pyridium.

AZO cran tabs are basically the same thing as I posted above, just a brand-name. AZO also makes something similar to Uristat, and they work about the same. Uristat is pyridium, but I think it's lower dosage than when you get a perscription, so you end up having to take more at once?

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am much sicker today. I was up most of the night. I am sweating like pig and shivering. My kidneys hurt so bad. I am taking T-3's . I am also really nausous. I hope the antibiotics kick in soon. I am going to put a movie on the computor for my daughter, I am going to lay down.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You're taking acetaminophen with kidney problems?! Might I remind you we have a member who's mother died because of pain medication and kidney problems.

You need to get your kidney function double checked (even if it was checked a few days ago) and please be very very careful with pain medications.

You sure know how to spook a person! that it's just the infection and nothing else worse is going on with your kidneys, and hopefully you can get passed this infection soon. Don't be afraid to go to the ER, though, it may be time for that...

plainjane

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
YOU NEED TO CALL YOUR DOCTOR! NOW!!!!!!

Seriously, call the doctor and tell him what is going on.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by plainjane

YOU NEED TO CALL YOUR DOCTOR! NOW!!!!!!

Seriously, call the doctor and tell him what is going on.
Or call the doc on the way to the ER - I have a bad feeling about this....
I don't know about her hospital, but mine would probably admit a person over this.

plainjane

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Or call the doc on the way to the ER - I have a bad feeling about this....
I don't know about her hospital, but mine would probably admit a person over this.
What she's experiencing could possibly be kidney failure.

I'm worried now...I hope she calls her doctor and doesn't just ignore it...

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am feeling a bit better today. I did see the doctor yesterday. He said if I gets any worse, or if the amount of urine I pass lessens. I need to go back. I still have a fever. My kidneys still hurt but I don't feel as bad as I did yesterday.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What was his opinion on you taking medications that would be hard on your kidneys when they're already taxed?

I'm glad you did see a doctor. Please be careful and take care of yourself.