cat got beaten. white thick saliva on eye

hiddencat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
im not sure if my cat got beaten by other cat from other gang or not.

my cat is an outdoor cat. rarely she come inside. yesterday I found her hidden around safe place. she is not active. it seems like she got beaten and in the state of shock. her eyes have thick white saliva on one of her eyes. i tried to get her out of the hidden place to rub the white thing out of her eyes with warm water cloths but as soon as i let her out of my hand.... she ran a few foot away so i didnt get to rub her eye then she ran to the bushes where it is safe and hidden. then i decide to let her relax. she seems scared and shock by everything even me.

so in the morning..... i found her eating cat food normally. and she acts normally. she lets me touch her normally. and meow meow normally but it seems that she still weak and hurt. i didnt bother her much. after she eat... she just hang around there and i let her just relax.

her eyes seems soften now but still she seems weak.

so what it is? is she got beat by other cat from other gang? or what? theres plenty of time other cat from other gang came try to attack and chase. what about the white thick saliva on her eyes? what cause it? cant be from fighting is it?

ckblv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would take her to the vet to see what is up. Her eyes could be infected. Then I would make her an indoor kitty, it is so much safer. Good luck

emmylou

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, take the cat to the vet right away. Don't touch the eyes yourself.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hiddencat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i cant afford vet. average is 500.00-1000 dollar right?

i still cant figure out whats wrong with her eye. i saw a big white drip on one her eyes before.... after a few days i dont see her anywhere. i finally see her around today.

her eye seems to be blind now. the white dripping and white saliva is all dried up and not watery. but her eye is black and cant open her eye widely. i think she is permanently blind.

she is an outdoor cat. she just tame and she comes inside the house ocasionally. shes about 4-7 years old. not sure if shes a she but she seems to be as she is small size. i am thinking to give away to shelter as something like this happend i cant afford to go to the vet. but i dont know if i should give her to a shelter since here she is freedom.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
$500-$1000? Where are you at?! Unless there is something seriously wrong or and animal needs surgery it should never cost that much.

As for what was wrong with her eye. That was not "saliva" it was likely pus from an infection. Infection can kill. Either get the cat to a vet or to shelter who will make sure it has vet care, or at least not let it suffer.

hiddencat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

$500-$1000? Where are you at?! Unless there is something seriously wrong or and animal needs surgery it should never cost that much.

As for what was wrong with her eye. That was not "saliva" it was likely pus from an infection. Infection can kill. Either get the cat to a vet or to shelter who will make sure it has vet care, or at least not let it suffer.
what is your estimation?

a pus from infection? what exactly is that? and what cause the infection? how it cause?

i know an animal shelter around here. it is like a dog pound. is it good idea to let them take her? it seems like animal jail. and if i give her away to that kind of place.... do i must pay? and do they take care of her nicely? since its a place where 100s of homeless animals.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know how much it would cost. Not being able to look at the cat myself, and only going by your descriptions, I can only guess what happened to the eye. And I have no way of knowing how inflated prices are where you live - but $1000 seemed a bit too much to make sense.

Infections make pus, or more specifically the body produces white blood cells to fight infection and those dead (used up) white blood cells are what you see when you are looking at pus. So if there's pus, there's infection.

Since the cat had been in a fight my guess would be the infection is from a cat bite or a cat scratch to the face or eye. Something that would have been easier treated if done when you first noticed the cat was injured.

If the shelter is as you say, they may euthanize the cat because it is ill - but I don't know for sure and this is something you would have to find out by calling them and asking what they're common practice is with injured strays.
Are there any sort of private rescue groups in your area for cats?

If you care about this cat it's time to step up and take responsibility for it's care or find someone willing to. Most of us have been in your place before - a sick or injured cat that needs us when we're not really ready (or able) to take on the extra cost of vet care getting it well. It's tough, but something needs to be done.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A vet exam is generally about $50-70, and you can ask them not to do anything else without an estimation of cost. Then they will tell you how much any treatment is likely to cost and you can work something out with your vet.

You do need to get your kitty to a vet, and if you're not willing to spend the money on necessary treatment, then you should find a rescue group or a no-kill shelter who can take her. But given she's a sick, outside cat, she will have less of a chance of being adopted.

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As the others have stated, you need to get this kitty to a vet, the sooner the better. You could call different vets in your area, explain the situation to them, ask if they would accept payments. If no vet is willing to work with you ask them what they would recommend you do.
You need to think of what's best for this kitty. You said you think she may be blind in one eye now. What if she's in another fight and loses the other eye as well? A vet may be able to save her injured eye.
Please, make some phone calls and find someone who will help you.

i dont know if i should give her to a shelter since here she is freedom.
If freedom means being injured by other animals, then becoming an indoor only cat is actually the best thing for her.

kscatlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you can't afford vet care for your cat, you shouldn't have one. Have you ever taken her to the vet before?

hiddencat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by kscatlady

If you can't afford vet care for your cat, you shouldn't have one. Have you ever taken her to the vet before?
yeah your right i shouldnt have one if i cant afford vet. the cat is native wild or backyard cat. she became very tame to human so shes a pet now. it was unexpected.

i have never take her to the vet before.

what is the estimation cost to cure a cat eye in us dollar?

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
what is the estimation cost to cure a cat eye in us dollar?
There is no way any of us can tell you that, since we don't have any idea how badly injured this cat's eye is. As I said before, call the vet's in your area, explain the situation to them, and ask if they would accept a payment plan and, if they can't help you, ask them to direct you to someone who can.
Please try to get this kitty checked out by someone soon; it may not be too late to save her eye.

hiddencat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by libby74

There is no way any of us can tell you that, since we don't have any idea how badly injured this cat's eye is. As I said before, call the vet's in your area, explain the situation to them, and ask if they would accept a payment plan and, if they can't help you, ask them to direct you to someone who can.
Please try to get this kitty checked out by someone soon; it may not be too late to save her eye.
oh ok.

the eye is badly. first shows thick white glue looking then clear out then eye start getting big and black. can bearly open eye now cant open eye at all.

ill try to call a vet.

and can you confirm if lysol swallowing pill is safe for cat to take? i read somewhere that cat can take lysol pill to cure eye desease.

and do such place exist where they take your cat in and care for it and cure it and give shelter all for free?

blast-off-girl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hopefully, I think you mean lysine rather than Lysol. Lysol is a household cleansing agent and is poisonous to humans and cats alike. Lysine is used for cats but I think it is primarily for the treatment of herpes. Honestly, the best thing to do is take your cat to the vet. I know it may be costly but she is probably suffering and may lose her vision in that eye. Please stop her discomfort.

Where do you live? I don't know of any clinics that offer free services but I suppose it depends on the circumstance and the vet.

hiddencat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by Blast-Off-Girl

Hopefully, I think you mean lysine rather than Lysol. Lysol is a household cleansing agent and is poisonous to humans and cats alike. Lysine is used for cats but I think it is primarily for the treatment of herpes. Honestly, the best thing to do is take your cat to the vet. I know it may be costly but she is probably suffering and may lose her vision in that eye. Please stop her discomfort.

Where do you live? I don't know of any clinics that offer free services but I suppose it depends on the circumstance and the vet.
yeah lysine forgot. i live in west coast usa. california

is L-Lysine 500 mg same as Lysine? L-Lysine 500 mg is safe for cat right?

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am California also and will try to find a place that can help.
Your cat can lose a eye or worse if it does not see a vet.
My old vet in the bay area took payment plans. I lose 500 mg of L lysine for Meeko my cat with herpes.

skimble

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Your first post for advice was two weeks ago. Many have posted all they can to help. Have you not gotten the cat to a vet or a shelter yet?

If not, please tell your area so those here may offer suggestions as to what vet clinic, no kill shelter or rescue group might help. California is a large state.

Only a vet can tell what to do for your cats eye. There may be other injuries and infections by now. Everyone here wants to help.

blast-off-girl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Where do you live in California? I also live in California and perhaps can help you locate a vet or shelter.

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
and can you confirm if lysol swallowing pill is safe for cat to take? i read somewhere that cat can take lysol pill to cure eye desease.
At this point, I wouldn't bother giving L-Lysine to this cat. She apparently has a severe eye infection, and the supplement isn't going to cure it.
If you absolutely cannot afford vet care, you need to do a search for a no-kill shelter in your area. This kitty needed medical attention 2 weeks ago. I truly understand if you can't afford a vet, but you can't ask for advice for an injured cat and then do nothing about it.

There are a lot of folks here who want to help you and this kitty. Please tell us where in California you are, so the people who have offered to find help for you can begin their search.