My name is Robert, and I'm OCD...

keycube

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
...but only when it comes to fleas.

I've only had a couple of encounters with fleas (on my cats, that is), and they were both some time ago. I took appropriate action, and that was the end of it.

Since I moved into my apartment and acquired my fifth cat, I've acquired an unhealthy paranoia at the notion of any (that is to say, "all") of my babes getting fleas. I think part of the reason is that with them being so isolated, the only way they're going to get them is through me (that is, my contact with the strays I take care of at my rental property). So there's like a guilt complex going on with this somewhat.

Plus, it only seems like recently I started hanging with other cat people and hearing horror stories about getting rid of fleas. I guess I was just lucky before; I applied medicine, clicked my heels, and the fleas were gone. Now I hear stories of "OMG I'VE VACUUMED 3 TIMES A DAY FOR A YEAR AND SPENT $12,000 ON MEDS AND NOW THEY HAVE TAPEWORMS AND I CAN'T GET RID OF THEM AND OMGWTF!!!!!11!!!!1"

How I long for my blissful ignorance.

So now, with every dark little piece of fuzz I see on them, I'm scavenging for fleas - on each and every one; bellies, neck, base of tail - as they're giving me the "Are you nuts?" look.

Yeah, I know, "it's just fleas"...but as we all know, that's not always the case. So is anyone else bonkers when it comes to fleas, and sees them as the fifth horseman of the apocalypse?

plainjane

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
LOL
god, this is soooo funny! But in a way that I can totally relate to! For me it's fleas and/or any type of parasite.

Not only am I paranoid about anyone having them, I worry that I'll get some type of worm, etc, LOL.

I realize it's irrational and usually don't worry about it unless a new animal is introduced to the home...No one is allowed outdoors and flea treatment is a regular around here, so...It's not truthfully a realistic thing to worry about, so I don't too much.

Also, I guess the amount of strays and rescued animals I've taken into my home and NEVER have had an infestation or anything passing from one animal to the next assures me that you really have to be not paying attention or taking care of business to end up with things getting to a crazy point in regards to parasites. I have a standard procedure each time a new animal enters my home. Bathe, remove visible fleas, capstar if needed, flea treatment, deworming, and then isolating for 12-24 hours. Works like a charm!

ckblv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Keycube

I've only had a couple of encounters with fleas (on my cats, that is), and they were both some time ago. I took appropriate action, and that was the end of it.

Since I moved into my apartment and acquired my fifth cat, I've acquired an unhealthy paranoia at the notion of any (that is to say, "all") of my babes getting fleas. I think part of the reason is that with them being so isolated, the only way they're going to get them is through me (that is, my contact with the strays I take care of at my rental property). So there's like a guilt complex going on with this somewhat.

Plus, it only seems like recently I started hanging with other cat people and hearing horror stories about getting rid of fleas. I guess I was just lucky before; I applied medicine, clicked my heels, and the fleas were gone. Now I hear stories of "OMG I'VE VACUUMED 3 TIMES A DAY FOR A YEAR AND SPENT $12,000 ON MEDS AND NOW THEY HAVE TAPEWORMS AND I CAN'T GET RID OF THEM AND OMGWTF!!!!!11!!!!1"

So now, with every dark little piece of fuzz I see on them, I'm scavenging for fleas - on each and every one; bellies, neck, base of tail - as they're giving me the "Are you nuts?" look.

Yeah, I know, "it's just fleas"...but as we all know, that's not always the case. So is anyone else bonkers when it comes to fleas, and sees them as the fifth horseman of the apocalypse?
You could move here,
we don't have many fleas in the desert.
I have never used any kind of flea preventitive OR heartworm preventitive.
Welcome to The Cat Site, this is such a great place for all things cat related.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, I know about FLEAS!!!!!! Two places I rented had them already present in the carpet!!!!

And when I bought my condo, the woman had a cat, but tried to hide the evidence of it ( stuff stashed in the basement, garage). But after I left, I noticed bite marks on my legs. OK - so I made pest control one of the conditions for buying the place. Man was she ever p*ssed! Such language from a lady!

ms cat love

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
OMG.. Flea season is coming soon here.. Wish i could apply the med., click my heals and fleas be gone.. NO i get the house exterminated,the yard and do the cats and i still get fleas.. Never ending battle.. The best way besides "seeing them on the cat" or the "black flea poop and tiny white eggs where ever the cat sleeps" to find out if they have fleas,would be combing them with a flea comb... 1 FLEA ON THE COMB REVEALS ALL... o god now all this talk about fleas makes me gotta go look for the FLEA COMB

chadsgirl374

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I most definately am

When we found Sunny he was covered in fleas and was far too young to bathe with any medicated shampoo or to use Advantage on. He got severly sick and had to be hospitalized twice and he came very close to death before the vet tested him for Bartonella's disease. Luckily he had the strain that could be treated with antibiotics and after a month of medications he was cured. Sunny gets combed with the flea comb twice daily (not an easy task as he has long hair).

I treat him and the 10 ferals that live outside......and if another cat happens to come into our yard, he/she is treated for fleas also.

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Absolutely! I think it's worse when you have multiple cats too...the thought of having to bathe all of them and de-flea them is a horror show!

I just moved too and am so afraid of the other cats in the building giving mine fleas through me. Arrgghghhhh!!!

emeraldsongbird

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Fleas, or any other thing that could harm my precious girl, scare the heck out of me!! Bella got like, two fleas on her from our dogs (she's an indoor cat and that's the only way she could've gotten them), and then a lot of flea dust started on her. But she's black, so it was nearly impossible to see, but she had like, bleeding spots on her head and stuff. I was hysterical, I took her to the vet right away and sure enough she had fleas. They took care of it, and since then I have been hesitant to let her around the dogs unless they've had preventive put on them recently. I check her constantly and she gets mad at me. If there is just a tiny bump on her I freak out!

Once, back when we were living in the hell that is known as Virginia (no offense, it's a personal thing, the land is really beautiful), I'd heard of a bad tick infestation in the area. I was paranoid, not for myself, but for my baby. One morning I went to the bathroom and saw a TICK ON MY LEG!!! I freaked out. Why? Because I was scared Bella might have one on her!

Yeah... not a fan of parasites. Who is? lol

theterribleduo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hahaha oh man that cracked me up! although hardly ever does Skunk get fleas even with how much he's always outside..yet it could be cause I get him prepared with flea collars and whatever else I could find

fleas...aughhh *shivers*

lil maggie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

How hysterical!! Not about the fleas, but about your writing! You should think about becoming a writer!
Yep, here too. I get totally paranoid about fleas and ticks. I have a dog that's outside a good part of the day and soooo afraid of her bringing in a parasite! The dog goes to the vet often (she has a skin rash that's being treated) and I have him check for bugs every time. I'm always combing and brushing my indoor kitty, checking her bedding (she will only sleep in a box) and checking through her fur until she gets totally annoyed with me LOL I'm always paranoid but better safe than sorry!

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been so lucky! Even though I take Cleo outside on her leash all summer, I've only had one extremely minor flea infestation in 9 years. I used Advantage that summer on all three, even though Cleo is the only one who goes outside. I've never had a problem since....knock wood!