Do you think cats know that they have been neutered/spayed?

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With Bender being neutered on Monday I have wondered if cats sense something is different about them??

As he is about 8 months be had shown signs that is hormones were working ie a bit of spraying/marking, yowling, strong urine odor.

With less that 48 hours know the yowling as diminished a great deal already.

But do they know something is different??

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GailC

With Bender being neutered on Monday I have wondered if cats sense something is different about them??

As he is about 8 months be had shown signs that is hormones were working ie a bit of spraying/marking, yowling, strong urine odor.

With less that 48 hours know the yowling as diminished a great deal already.

But do they know something is different??
I have wondered this same thing. I do think they know something.
I have a male and a female, both nuetered. They are great friends
and I do think they know something!

zephyer78

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thats a good question! I wonder the same thing. I know the pet population is outta control and responsible pet owners spay and neuter, but I have often wondered if I am somehow depriving my cat of something.
PS I am NOT saying dont spay or neuter..Autumn is and for right now I think all should be.

m935

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It seems like they are in a much better mood after being fixed. I dont think theyre missing out on anything. Ive seen females in heat and it just looks unbearably uncomfortable.

My friend recently had her 3 females spayed. I was shocked when the 7 year old let me pet her. This cat would NEVER let me near her before getting fixed. In fact, my friend said all 3 of the cats have been more friendly and... happy since their operation.

I highly recommend doing so for all pets - of course to stop the overpopulation most importantly.

sweetkara

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They look down to lick themselves and say "What the ?!?!?"

just kidding.. I don't think they really know.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know, but I think other animals know.

Today Brandy (dog) wouldn't stop sniffing Kizzy's ummmmmm.. lack of male parts area. That is something Brandy never does. So I think she notices something different.

Kizzy OTOH, I don't think knows that he's missing his jewels.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I took in an older pregnant female about 9 years ago, and she had 4 big healthy boys. I kept the youngest and found good homes for the other 3. When we had her spayed the vet said she was about 5 years old and had had "truckloads" of kittens, to the point that another litter would probably have killed her. She was in a lot of pain after her spay, and didn't let anyone touch her for about a week.

Anyway.....when the time came that she would have gone into heat again, she became very tense and touchy, and wouldn't let our (neutered) big tomcat or her (neutered) son anywhere near her. After a few weeks of not going into heat, she seemed to realize that she wasn't going to have any more heats, and she relaxed visibly, and seemed very grateful. She's been very affectionate since. So I don't think she knew what was going on when she actually had her surgery, but she definitely appreciated it once she figured it out. I think most females are grateful not to be doomed to getting pregnant on every heat. It's very hard on them, and a lot of females die in kittening.

I've never noticed that boys had any idea what happened to them. Even big tough tomcats.

savannah12

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So, my cat Zya gave birth to like 5 kittens, and they’d constant bother her for milk. She’d often find old fruits and foods outside and bring them to her litter while meowing very loudly; she was weening. They wouldn’t leave her alone, and she’d often disappear for days. We got her spayed & she completely changed. None of the kittens tried to bother her anymore and she was always around the house & her kittens! This was like the day after she was spayed too. It was weird! Maybe they do know.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site. This thread has not been active since 2009 although the last poster is very active on the site. I have only dealt with feral litters and have been fortunate that the mother cats have known what to do with only one complication years ago. Since I have always gotten everyone fixed when the kittens were weaned, it just coincided it seemed.

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i would guess they feel some discomfort while in recovery of the sugery. it would have been nice to breed graycie once to a big ole gray tom so i could have kept the whole litter of her kittens that hopefully would grow bigger than her and kept her fur color