Lice

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I found out on Saturday that one of our patients has lice. I looked after her on Thursday evening.

The only reason it was noticed was because she complained to the nurse on Saturday that her head was really itchy, so the nurse, who has kids and is well acquainted with lice, checked her hair and found them.

Chances are I didn't catch it, but I went and bought a bottle of NIX anyway. I washed my bedding in hot water and Javex today and gave myself the NIX treatment this evening. I wasn't going to take any chances!

This is the 3rd time I've had to NIX myself. The first 2 times was when I was in nursing school.

sandtigress

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hate that stuff - it smells awful! that you got all the little buggers, if there were any!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sandtigress

I hate that stuff - it smells awful! that you got all the little buggers, if there were any!
I used the comb in my hair afterwards. I gave it a good rake through several times. I didn't notice anything in the comb. But I'm giving myself a second treatment in 7 days just in case!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My mother never got them when I had them as a child even though I was usually in bed with her (watching night time tv
).

I think her regimen mouse and enough hair spray to choke anything living took care of that.

kittybernard

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
UGH.. those nasty little buggers! Hoping the product works for you again like it did in the past. My experience with lice as a kid was horrible. After trying all sorts of products (and having an allergic reaction to one!) we discovered they (in particular) were pesticide-resistant. Mom would slather my head in mayo 3 times a day.. fine tooth comb twice a day.. taking five hours each comb through. An entire month of gallons upon gallons of mayo & tea tree oil later.. they were finally gone. Lice mutating to survive.. LOVELY.
Would make for a nice sci-fi thriller!

I can smell mayonnaise from miles away. UGH.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
mmmm, lice. Nasty lil buggers. Of course with school age children, we've had a few experiences with lice. Not pleasant ones either.

We don't use chemical treatments anymore..... I'd rather not put pesticide on my childrens heads when if there's pesticide on the lawns you aren't supposed to walk in it.

There was one time that my daughter got it really bad. It was awful. Live lice, nits, lice poo.... just covered. That was my second experience with it. So off to the pharmacy, pick up some Nix, apply as directed, comb for hours with a $25 nit picker comb, and the results: still some freakin live adult lice on her head. UGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG. You aren't supposed to Nix again for a wk or 10 days (I forget what the bottle says). I was hand picking live adult lice off her head after we nix'd. how awful is that.

that is when I stopped using chemicals. It wasn't working so why should I put my childs health at risk for something that won't do its job?

My kids had it again once after that, and so far have not had it again since I started preventative measures even tho students in their classes have had it

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have never had lice. I was the lice head check lady at my daughters school for 4 years. It always the same kids over and over. The principal bragged one year she took her lice on a holiday to Mexico.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hated Nix, and it didn't do anything when my parents tried it either. I ended up getting rid of them myself... apparently nearly straight hot water, 2-3 washings, and repeated combings a day will take care of them in about three days. I was six and my reasoning was if hot water killed them in the wash and stunned fleas, it would probably kill/harm them if I washed my hair in it.
My parents had no part in this, and I don't suggest anyone ever try washing their kid's hair in hot water - you'll burn them. The only reason I didn't get burnt is because I was controlling the water temp. Ironically that was when I discovered that I can tolerate very hot water on my scalp without it bothering me.

plainjane

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Bleh...totally grossed out right now...Hope you remain lice-free!

deedeemay

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had lice as a child...it passed around infant school so easily
I hated the lil' buggers as I made my head so sore from scratching...thankfully we had the trusty lice comb and 'special' shampoo back then

ms.blackie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I got lice at age 45 years, couple years ago, I think from
a nursing home, a hospital or hair salon.
Now I have 2 sisters and we never caught
it in school. I had no clue. But no, I get when I was 45 yrs. old.
I had very long hair and when I figured out I had lice, I went
crazy really. I nix my hair made my DH do the same.
I had my hair cut off two days later by a nice hair dresser,
of course I explained my problem so she could take all precautions.
Through out my pillows, washed everything in the house with hot water.
Note this went on for months, I did this over and over.
I think I really got rid of them fairly quickly but I was damaged in my mind.
I really needed a shrink.

That was one experience I never want to repeat!!

sneakymom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

I found out on Saturday that one of our patients has lice. I looked after her on Thursday evening.

The only reason it was noticed was because she complained to the nurse on Saturday that her head was really itchy, so the nurse, who has kids and is well acquainted with lice, checked her hair and found them.

Chances are I didn't catch it, but I went and bought a bottle of NIX anyway. I washed my bedding in hot water and Javex today and gave myself the NIX treatment this evening. I wasn't going to take any chances!

This is the 3rd time I've had to NIX myself. The first 2 times was when I was in nursing school.
Eeeewwww.
Now you're freaking me out
I start nursing school in August, they didn't tell us that we could get lice................

Cheryl

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've checked lots of heads, but I've never had them myself. A physician's assistant I used to work with put one on a slide under the microscope for me to look at. It was fascinating...you could see the blood pumping through its horrible little body. The first time I ever saw one, the only thing I could think was "they're bigger than I imagined." That and "how far can those things jump?"

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh no Linda!!! That's aweful! Hopefully your precations will keep you lice free and the little buggers won't appear!

I've been fortunate to have never had lice...but I remember my poor sister Monica combing through my poor niece's hair for HOURS when she brought them home from school lol.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

I think her regimen mouse and enough hair spray to choke anything living took care of that.
my mom taught public school for over 30 years, & i've taught over 14 years. neither of us have ever caught them - mom has really thin hair, has to backcomb & spray. i have good hair, but it's fine & limp, so i use multiple products on it for height.
lice don't like product - makes it too hard for them to grip the hair.
they also really, really dislike heat - blow drying the hair can kill them.