Just wanted to post an update about Rocky.

libby'smom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Last month I was complaining in the behavior area about how Rocky was crying all the time. Well I noticed that he was biting on his leg, so I took him to the vet. I find out that he has SEVERE skin allergies, and as of right now he is on a special vet diet, and I have to pill him twice a day. I usually do it once in the morning right before breakfast and then again once before dinner.

I ran out of the special cat food and was feeding him Avoderm for two weeks and lo and behold he was biting at the spots again. So it's back to the vet food until his spots are healed. I'm just so glad that he's better. He now only cries when he is hungry where as before it was constant!

skimble

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Libby'sMom

I ran out of the special cat food and was feeding him Avoderm for two weeks and lo and behold he was biting at the spots again. So it's back to the vet food until his spots are healed.
Did they vet prescribe the special food for a short time or is he to continue permanently?

If the food is to help an allergy, he will likely always have that problem. Prednisone is usually given to control the symptoms and will not be a cure from what I understand.

I hope he gets better soon.

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so happy you found out sooner rather than later. Good for you being so attentive and noticing his behavoir changes! Hope he feels better soon.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

libby'smom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Skimble

Did they vet prescribe the special food for a short time or is he to continue permanently?

If the food is to help an allergy, he will likely always have that problem. Prednisone is usually given to control the symptoms and will not be a cure from what I understand.

I hope he gets better soon.
The vet said if I feed him regular food and he starts scratching again I'll probably have to feed him the special food. But she also said that a lot of cats grow out of it. We had him for 3 months before he started scratching like that which started right after he was neutered.