Found a cat today

badkelpie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She was walking along the side of the road and panting like crazy. She's not feral, and I think she's pretty much been a housecat, but I thought people here could answer a question for me.

I found her this morning, 8:30 am, busy road, no houses anywhere. I'm thinking she was dumped off.

Anyway, she was panting, so I assume hot and thirsty.

I gave her water in the car, I don't think she drank any, and parked in the shade. Then my mom came and got her and put her in a sheltered/shady area next to my house (in a crate). She was there until I was off work at 11:30 am. I put her in my bathroom and gave her food and water. She ate a few bites of wet food, then that was all. She hasn't drank any water, or eaten any more of the wet food (I just got dry food and she doesn't seem to want that either).

If she's dehydrated, do I just leave her to drink the water on her own, or do I need to force it? She seems fine. Hanging out on the back of my toilet, seems content there. Or maybe she's lethargic? I don't know!

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Will she let you touch her? Here is one way to know if she is dehydrated. Pull up the skin between her shoulder blades.. you know... like where the scruff is... and let go. It won't hurt her. It it snaps back into place quickly she's likely ok. If it kinda slowly slides back into place, she is likely dehydrated. Also, I believe tacky or pale gums can be a sign... but the first thing definitely.

If she is that dehydrated, she needs sub-q fluids and you will need to take her to the vet, any vet, ASAP.

She may be too scared to eat or drink, even if she seems ok in your bathroom.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

badkelpie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh, yeah, she's friendly. She meows at me when I come in, and purrs when I pet her. I think she's just tired.

I went in to look at her, her scruff seems fine and her gums are pink. I think she's fine. I just worry.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
A lot of cats don't eat for the first day or two in a new home. Just make sure the food and water are available for her to nibble on. You may find that she eats more at night when you aren't looking. As long as she doesn't appear dehydrated, just give her a little time to get used to you.

Do you have any pictures? We love kitty

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

badkelpie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I've got word to the shelter and vets and a found ad on craigslist.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Can you take her in to the vet or shelter to have her scanned for a microchip?

How is she settling in with you? Is she eating yet? Letting you pet her? (Still waiting for
)

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by AddieBee

Will she let you touch her? Here is one way to know if she is dehydrated. Pull up the skin between her shoulder blades.. you know... like where the scruff is... and let go. It won't hurt her. It it snaps back into place quickly she's likely ok. If it kinda slowly slides back into place, she is likely dehydrated. Also, I believe tacky or pale gums can be a sign... but the first thing definitely.
Just like a person! Except you pull up the skin on a person's arm or the back of their hand.

I don't have any expertise in this area and will leave it to the more experienced cat folks, but bless you for taking in a stray! You're an

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You're a sweetheart for rescuing this poor baby!

I think taking her in for a scan when you can is a good idea.

I hope she wasn't dumped and you're able to reunite her with what I hope is a very worried family!

Poor baby........

Laurie

breellablue

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldyCat

Can you take her in to the vet or shelter to have her scanned for a microchip?
I agree. Many vets will do this, free of charge.

although it has been my experience that unaltered cats are often not microchiped, its still worth a try.