Electronic VS Printed BOOK......

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Good afternoon friends!....

I read a couple weeks ago some articles in the newspaper of the city about the MAYBE dissapear
of the printed book as well we know it... the main reason that it was explained it was because many "modern gadgets" that Invade our new life style has the posiblility to "down" not only one!,...many books and storage in memory...

JUST WONDERING........What do you think about this item of the TECH?....
did you change all your library maybe for a hard disk where is "capturate" in a near future all your colection of books?...

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been hearing debates about this on NPR - whether the amazon electronic book device (lol I forgot the name of it) will do the same for books as the ipod for music- make printed copies obsolete. There were a lot of issues with this, I wish I remembered the specifics. But as far as readers, I think people will not mind. I read many ebooks simply because I'm too lazy to go buy them. It's much easier to do a search for a book and have it pop up automatically than going to the bookstore, trying to find the aisle and then get there and see that the series I'm looking for are in stock except for the one book out of them that I need...And yea there is amazon for that but I'm very impatient, I can't wait a week I need my books instantly. So yea I've been gettinig ebooks a lot and i'm satisfied I don't mind reading off of a screen I actually probably prefer it- the only problem is you don't really own the book that way- you just own the rights to reading it from one specific computer. You can't let a friend borrow it and usually when I buy a book it goes through at least 3-4 people that I let borrow it if it's a good book i'm passionate about.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
around the coments to some people once one person said:
"it never can be erased the deep pleasure to sink in your favourite couch with your printed book to read and your coffee cup next to you!"...

lil maggie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CoolCat

"it never can be erased the deep pleasure to sink in your favourite couch with your printed book to read and your coffee cup next to you!"...
I agree! I would hate to have to drag my desktop into my bedroom and prop it on the bed where I love reading novels. I especially love going out on a beautiful day and lounging on a chair and reading without lugging the computer, monitor and keyboard outside. Call me old fashioned

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
^That's what laptops, notebooks, and ebook readers are for.

I still buy books, though I prefer to dedicate my shelf space to certain genres and older books. There's some books, though, that I'm never going to reread and really don't want sitting around collecting dust so I prefer them in ebook. There are a lot of fiction books that fall into this category - and just think of the paper that is wasted on printing them.

But, this debate has already been done a couple times here.

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If I have to read more than a one page one page on a computer screen I lose interest. I prefer a paper/printed book to anything electronic.

cat.ling

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've pretty much converted to e-books read on my PDA. It's about the only thing I use my PDA for. I like reading on there because it's portable (holds all my hundreds if not thousands of books), I can read in the dark, and I can do it all one handed easily. I still have my book collection, but I haven't bought a real book in a while. But I still will if it's only available in print.

I'm not too excited about the Amazon Kindle though. It's big and restricts itself to only books published for the Kindle, AFAIK anyway. With my PDA, I usually use eReader which can be read across multiple platforms/machines for when my PDA dies. That's the only thing that worries me about my e-books. That, and the radiation I'm probably getting from using it so much.

junebugbear07

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I cant afford to buy one of those devices as of now. I love reading printed books, there is just something about it but i cant quite put my finger on it! Im a bit old fashioned myself

lil maggie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

^That's what laptops, notebooks, and ebook readers are for.
I sure wish I could afford all the lastest stuffs! I'm still stuck with an old monitor and desktop comp.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lil maggie

I sure wish I could afford all the lastest stuffs! I'm still stuck with an old monitor and desktop comp.
You don't need the latest ebook reader, just one that has decent back lighting, size (expandable memory via SD is nice), and good battery life. Reading reviews and buying off ebay is one option.

A person certainly doesn't need amazon's overpriced kindle just to read ebooks.

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CoolCat

Exactly! An electronic book will never feel and smell like a printed book. I also know that the printed books on my shelf are safe from any memory corruption or lightning storms or whatever else that might suddenly erase a downloaded book.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I tend to lose my place reading ebooks, I much prefer printed books.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by WELDRWOMN

Exactly! An electronic book will never feel and smell like a printed book. I also know that the printed books on my shelf are safe from any memory corruption or lightning storms or whatever else that might suddenly erase a downloaded book.
Interesting how i feel exactly the opposite- books always get brown as they age and when I read a book that has brown old pages I get the same feeling like I've just heard a loud screech- makes me get goose bumps all over! I don't understand why but it's very unpleasant.
I don't have a portable reader but I'm happy reading off of my laptop because it's with me all the time anyways.

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I LOVE to read. I read several books a week. I absolutely detest trying to read on the computer. I would never give up my books for an electronic one

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can understand the convienence of an e-book, but I would NEVER give up real books. There's nothing like the smell and feel of the first page of a brand new book and being the first person to read it. Also, I love the smell of old books with yellowed pages that is well used and well loved. I don't think real books will ever go out of style because there are still some die hard old school people out there...like me!

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Count me on the real books side.
1) I don't want to have to pay for some kind of reader. Books can be very cheap at a used book store and free to read from the library.
2) I doubt it would be easy to read in certian lighting, like at the beach (but I don't know that as a fact),
3) and it would require paying for electricity to recharge the battery.

A friend of mine wrote a book and gave me the CD. After spending 8 hours a day at my job on a computer, I don't want to sit at one to read a whole novel. It's much more comfortable to open a real book.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by lil maggie

Call me old fashioned
Originally Posted by JuneBugBear07

Im a bit old fashioned myself
So welcomed at the cane-club
!....

Originally Posted by strange_wings

But, this debate has already been done a couple times here.
you´re right!...
......But your position is......?

tigerontheprowl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think E-Books are a great idea for stuff like informative textbooks and stuff like that but, getting rid of the newspaper? I think that's taking it a bit too far. I need my daily newspaper and coffee.

Novels should also be kept as printed books. The best part of a novel is how you can lose yourself in the story and I just don't get that effect from reading off of a computer monitor.