Question - anesthesia for persians?

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
We had to hold off neutering our kitten who was 7 mos. old when we got him because the vet said his testicles were not "ripe!" However, Gizmo, is now "ripe" and the only delay is that he went in last week for loose stools. He's doing much better now but the vet wants to hold off a few wks. to be safe. The vet commented that because he is a persian and his nose is so flat there is a risk w/anesthesia. Is anyone familiar with this in the persian breed? One of our former cats who was a persian also had a little difficulty w/anesthesia due to breathing.

violet

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is some info about anesthesia for Persians on Vetinfo:
http://www.vetinfo.com/canesthesia.html

.....Another potential problem with Persians and ketamine is that many vets using ketamine anesthesia (included me when procedures are short) do not routinely intubate cats to provide a patent airway since they are not anticipating having to use gas anesthesia. In pets with short noses, both cats and dogs, intubation during any anesthetic procedure is best since these pets can develop airway obstructions much more easily than longer nosed pets.
Also:
from http://www.bocaratonanimalhospital.c...nesthetic.html

Intubation establishes an unobstructed airway that could be vital should complications arise. (Your veterinarian should consider intubating older or sick pets, and breeds that are subject to breathing difficulties - such as Persians or Pekinese).
Detailed info about anesthesia and analgesia
http://info.med.yale.edu/yarc/vcs/anesthesiaeffect.htm

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she doesn't reply to the thread you should PM WellingtonCats as she breeds Exotics and Persians.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi I've just found this thread now - I've never had a problem with anesthesia with Persians or Exotics. My vet is a cat specalist and has never mentioned it.

Probably just covering their butt incase anything happens, don't be afraid to go ahead with the neuter!

optionken

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
As an extra precaution, if my cats have to be put under, I always make sue the vet will use a blood pressure moniter

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by WellingtonCats

Probably just covering their butt incase anything happens, don't be afraid to go ahead with the neuter!
Thanks for your reply, Violet suggested finding out what type of anesthesia the vet plans to use and I will call tomorrow. Even though the vet might be trying to cover her butt it still worries me.
I wouldn't want anything to happen to him and would rather be proactive. Is there anything else you think I should ask?

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Make sure they do not use ketamine.
I know its bad for sphynx and know people who lost their cats to it.
I have heard its not good for persians either.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
UPDATE Gizmo was neutered today w/isoflurane gas anesthesia and I am happy to report that he is comfortably recuperating at home. The first thing he did after coming out of his carrier was go straight for his food bowl.
I guess no one told him he had to wait awhile before he could eat.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Neely

UPDATE Gizmo was neutered today w/isoflurane gas anesthesia and I am happy to report that he is comfortably recuperating at home. The first thing he did after coming out of his carrier was go straight for his food bowl.
I guess no one told him he had to wait awhile before he could eat.
Yay good news!
Typical persian in the food bowl.

2furbabies

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Wow... this is very interesting. I've had persians my entire life (currently have 2), and no vet has ever mentioned this to me before.

That Gizmo is just precious...